• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Liberal groups devote millions to blocking GOP election deniers

This isn't a new idea to either party. The liberals on the democrat side have been pushing the electoral college compact for a while. That plan would allow them to overrun the electoral college vote in favor of the popular vote in a state by state procedure. Regardless of whether you believe in the electoral college or not, it is the law of the land. So if you think the republicans, or the MAGA crowd is committing a crime, then so must the democrats with their electoral college compact plan.
The only answer to change is to change the Constitution and develop a different plan. Otherwise you have the electoral college.
The electoral compact is a legal means to make the EC represent the popular vote of the country. How it works is when enough states sign on, the state agrees by law to award EC votes to whoever got the most votes nationally. There is nothing sinister about it.

What the fascists in the GOP are doing is to ignore the vote in the state if the voters decided not to vote for the Republican. I’m sure you’re good with that.

Nope. It's a good thing no legislatures have proposed such a scheme, right? Unless you count the Democrats' unconstitutional national popular vote scheme.
Republican LEGISLATORS have proposed such schemes in several states. To my knowledge no such schemes have been passed. But, Republicans are trying and that's what the OP is about. Democratic efforts to stop the Republicans from passing such laws.

Republican LEGISLATORS have proposed such schemes in several states. To my knowledge no such schemes have been passed. But, Republicans are trying and that's what the OP is about. Democratic efforts to stop the Republicans from passing such laws.
Do you have any links to proposed legislation in which "state legislatures determin[e] the winner of the presidential election rather than the people of those states?" The OP's cited laws certainly don't contain any such scheme, and I've never heard of any state proposing such a scheme (although Constitutionally, they have the power - but what legislature is going to tell voters: 'we're taking away your right to vote and deciding for ourselves who we send electors for' - I'll tell you, a legislature that isn't going to be around very long).

Do you have any links to proposed legislation in which "state legislatures determin[e] the winner of the presidential election rather than the people of those states?" The OP's cited laws certainly don't contain any such scheme, and I've never heard of any state proposing such a scheme (although Constitutionally, they have the power - but what legislature is going to tell voters: 'we're taking away your right to vote and deciding for ourselves who we send electors for' - I'll tell you, a legislature that isn't going to be around very long).

How 'bout PASSED legislation? Where ya been, living in a cardboard box, down by the river?

April 2, 2021
"A recent examination of the 98-page bill by The New York Times identified 16 provisions that either hinder Georgians' right to vote or strip power from state and local elections officials and give it to legislators..."

Delta CEO blasts Georgia voting law as ‘unacceptable’ and ‘based on a lie’ after backlash​

Published Wed, Mar 31 2021

Delta CEO says opposing new Georgia voting law "is about protecting the voices of our people"​

By Elizabeth Elkind
April 2, 2021 /

April 2, 2021

...The Republican-controlled legislature has more control over the State Election Board.​

Page 8: There is created a state board to be known as the State Election Board, to be composed of (PHRASE REMOVED t̶h̶e̶ ̶S̶e̶c̶r̶e̶t̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶t̶e̶ ) a chairperson elected by the General Assembly, an elector to be elected by a majority vote of the Senate of the General Assembly at its regular session held in each odd-numbered year, an elector to be elected by a majority vote of the House of Representatives of the General Assembly at its regular session held in each odd-numbered year, and a member of each political party to be nominated and appointed in the manner provided in this Code section. No person while a member of the General Assembly shall serve as a member of the board.
But it also looks an awful lot like a revenge move: Republican lawmakers are taking power away from Mr. Raffensperger, who infuriated Mr. Trump and some G.O.P. leaders in the state by rebuffing the former president’s fraud claims.

The secretary of state is removed as a voting member of the State Election Board.​

Page 11: The Secretary of State shall be (PHRASE REMOVED t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶i̶r̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶) an ex officio nonvoting member of the board. Three voting members of the board shall constitute a quorum, and no vacancy on the board shall impair the right of the quorum to exercise all the powers and perform all the duties of the board. The board shall adopt a seal for its use and bylaws for its own government and procedure.
This is a more direct attack on the powers of the secretary of state, effectively eliminating that person’s voice on the State Election Board.

Viewed through the lens of the 2020 election, this could be seen as revenge for Georgia Republicans against the current secretary of state, Mr. Raffensperger, who would not capitulate to Mr. Trump’s demands to overturn the results under a false banner of fraud.

The G.O.P.-led legislature is empowered to suspend county election officials.​

Page 11: The State Election Board may suspend county or municipal superintendents and appoint an individual to serve as the temporary superintendent in a jurisdiction. Such individual shall exercise all the powers and duties of a superintendent as provided by law, including the authority to make all personnel decisions related to any employees of the jurisdiction who assist with carrying out the duties of the superintendent, including, but not limited to, the director of elections, the election supervisor, and all poll officers. (g) At no time shall the State Election Board suspend more than four county or municipal superintendents pursuant to subsection (f) of this Code section.

Last edited:

Well, when you say proposed legislation that can mean a couple of things. Do I have links to legislation that has been written into a bill and voted on? No, I don't. Do I have links to LEGISLATORS that have proposed such legislation? Yes.

Here's some information from a PolitiFact article:

In Arizona, a Republican legislator offered a bill this year that would allow a majority of the Legislature to revoke the certification of an election by the secretary of state. However, the bill has not passed.

Arizona did pass legislation that would strip authority for handling election-related litigation from the secretary of state (who is currently a Democrat) and hand it to the attorney general (who is currently a Republican).

As a poster above stated, there have been Republican efforts to allow the state legislature to override local election officials, which is a step in the direction of the legislature controlling some portion of the state's vote.

....the Republican-backed law passed earlier this year in Georgia. A provision in the law gives power to the state election board to suspend local election officials.

In Arkansas, the Legislature passed H.B. 1803, and Republican Gov. Asa Hutchinson allowed it to become law without his signature.

The bill provides greater power for the existing State Board of Election Commissioners, which is largely filled by political appointees, to investigate violations of election laws and "institute corrective actions." The law permits the board to probe "certification of election results, administration of an election, election processes, (and) conduct of an election," and some critics argue that this language could enable the board to overturn elections. But that remedy is not spelled out in the law, so that interpretation is uncertain.

In Kansas, H.B. 2332 was passed by the state’s Republican Legislature and enacted despite a veto by the Democratic governor, Laura Kelly. The impact of this bill for certifying election results is even less clear.

A portion of the bill says that "the secretary of state shall not enter into any consent decree or other agreement with any state or federal court regarding the enforcement of any election law or the alteration of any election procedure without specific approval of such consent decree by the legislative coordinating council."

https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/jul/14/are-state-legislators-really-seeking-power-overrul/

Well, when you say proposed legislation that can mean a couple of things. Do I have links to legislation that has been written into a bill and voted on? No, I don't. Do I have links to LEGISLATORS that have proposed such legislation? Yes.

Here's some information from a PolitiFact article:

In Arizona, a Republican legislator offered a bill this year that would allow a majority of the Legislature to revoke the certification of an election by the secretary of state. However, the bill has not passed.

Arizona did pass legislation that would strip authority for handling election-related litigation from the secretary of state (who is currently a Democrat) and hand it to the attorney general (who is currently a Republican).

As a poster above stated, there have been Republican efforts to allow the state legislature to override local election officials, which is a step in the direction of the legislature controlling some portion of the state's vote.

....the Republican-backed law passed earlier this year in Georgia. A provision in the law gives power to the state election board to suspend local election officials.

In Arkansas, the Legislature passed H.B. 1803, and Republican Gov. Asa Hutchinson allowed it to become law without his signature.

The bill provides greater power for the existing State Board of Election Commissioners, which is largely filled by political appointees, to investigate violations of election laws and "institute corrective actions." The law permits the board to probe "certification of election results, administration of an election, election processes, (and) conduct of an election," and some critics argue that this language could enable the board to overturn elections. But that remedy is not spelled out in the law, so that interpretation is uncertain.

In Kansas, H.B. 2332 was passed by the state’s Republican Legislature and enacted despite a veto by the Democratic governor, Laura Kelly. The impact of this bill for certifying election results is even less clear.

A portion of the bill says that "the secretary of state shall not enter into any consent decree or other agreement with any state or federal court regarding the enforcement of any election law or the alteration of any election procedure without specific approval of such consent decree by the legislative coordinating council."

https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/jul/14/are-state-legislators-really-seeking-power-overrul/
You have to keep in mind that Politifact is rather biased, so I rarely trust their description of bills or laws. That said, other than the first one, the remainder of the bills and laws are simply the Legislature reigning back in their power that they had previously farmed out to election boards and the SOS. The Kansas one in particular was in direct response to the fiasco in Georgia with Raffensperger and Kemp agreeing to Stacy Abrams' Consent Decree. That nonsense all but eliminated the signature requirement for mail in ballots in GA. Huge mistake (since corrected).

I'll just leave this put there. All these people from Trumps circle willing to testify under oath that he tried to overturn the election; not one who says he didn't.

Giuliani, Trump himself and all those who claim he's innocent won't testify to that under oath.

FFS why is that?

Back
Top Bottom