• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

LGBTQ "Appeasement"

You bring up a good point. Although I am not familiar with that particular incident, it seems to me that we aren't always informed about the circumstances and are being told part of the story. If the teacher wanted to prove a point rather than having just made faux pas, this might not have escalated. Otoh, a co worker of mine was fired recently for putting a hand on another coworker's shoulders. Supposedly, the guy took it as a threat. Although person x apologized, person y insisted that he felt threatened.

On its face that sounds unreasonable, but I don't know the whole story and if there was more to the two coworkers' history that would be pertinent. Oftentimes just a little more info can make a completely unreasonable action become completely reasonable.

On its face that sounds unreasonable, but I don't know the whole story and if there was more to the two coworkers' history that would be pertinent. Oftentimes just a little more info can make a completely unreasonable action become completely reasonable.

Yup and I stated it wrong. It should read, if it was only a faux pas, it may not have escalated. Sorry.

Let's be fair.

Since it's politically correct to appease certain other groups, why should the LGBTQ community be left out?

I kinda respect Kevin Hart for not apologizing. I mean his justification was pretty dumb honestly, with his whole 'if I can prevent my son being gay' thing. But being gay myself, I find this very difficult to be outraged at. But whatever, I don't really care for the Oscars anyways. It's just a boring snoozefest.

I'm hoping to hear your thoughts about how we as a society are punishing people for "sins" of the past, namely, having used gay slurs. I wonder how the LGBTQ community feels about what is happening in their name. Hearing that Kevin Hart was forced to step down from hosting the Oscars makes me wonder what the point of this exercise is. Should people really be losing jobs? Gigs?

Recently, a Virginia high school teacher was fired because he refused to use a gender pronoun. He wanted to reach some compromise and call the student by her new name, just not use a pronoun. Is that really grounds for firing?

A very liberal Canadian feminist, Meghan Murphy, had her Twitter account closed down because she said "men aren't women". This his hate speech nowadays?

I don't know that I'd be comfortable having these negative, even damaging things happen in my name. If someone said a slur many years ago, should we be punishing them now? Even when they don't stand by what they said anymore?

Should we follow Canada and compel speech?

Before anyone make assumptions, I am supportive of the gay community and have been pro-gay marriage for many years now. I would recognize a trans person's preferred name and pronoun and regard them as the gender they identify with, however, I will never us plurals, nor will I use "ze".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts...announced-oscars-host/?utm_term=.98ecf8c06dac
https://www.richmond.com/news/virgi...cle_65be1826-50b2-5d38-be58-47d9b9480917.html
https://thefederalist.com/2018/11/25/twitter-permanently-bans-feminist-writing-men-arent-women/

Watch out now the Heisman trophy winner is in hot water for a tweet he made when he was FIFTEEN years old calling one of his friends a "queer"

Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray apologizes for anti-gay tweets

Seems like Hollywood has already put into a movie the type of system some would like to achieve:

Thank you Demolition Man:

hqdefault.jpg

Back
Top Bottom