• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Let's discuss the Resurrection of Jesus

Resurrection

• The Resurrection IS the most likely theory on why Christianity is the biggest religion

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • The Resurrection IS NOT the most likely theory on why Christianity is the biggest religion

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
Such as???

Please provide a short and concise list of the top 5 most obvious pieces of “evidence”.
the facts:

1.Jesus's tomb was empty
2.The disciples were convinced Jesus saw came back after their death, something that must have compelled them to even get martyred for the cause
3. Paul, a sworn enemy of the church, suddenly converted
4. James, the brother of Jesus suddenly became a christian even though they were discrimanted against and there was no reason to
5.Jesus died by Crucifixion.

These facts need an explanation- the best explanation is that the Resurrection is real and no other theory can explain it nor the rise of Christianity

this is how the apologetic argument goes, i just learned about this 3 days ago when i did research on the topic goes and i support it

Yes!

In a matter of just a few days - the apostles were all transformed from being so fearful that they went into hiding to suddenly becoming so full of courage that persecution didn't stop them from preaching. They were suddenly willing to die for Christ!
That collective confidence came from somewhere!

And there were many witnesses, about 500 people on various occasions. Imagine all those witnesses telling others of what they saw!

I think, the brothers of Christ became disciples only after the Resurrection. What changed their minds?
EXACTLY! there are no other explanations, this miracle has the most evidence out of any of them

Wait, it spread because the "resurrection is fact"? How would the people to whom it spread know that it was a fact?
because why would they be compelled to die for a lie?

I think, the brothers of Christ became disciples only after the Resurrection. What changed their minds?
What changed their minds?
Let's continue looking at this alternative explanation from the same link for the answer to that

Resurrection was invented long before Christians. There had been many religions that had a god who died and resurrected periodically. Various rites of sacrifice were related to the resurrection of one or another god and the offerings – usually domestic animals – were frequently eaten by the participants of the mysteries. Did not Jesus

Christ imagine his death and resurrection in a similar way – that he would resurrect in his disciples who would have eaten his flesh and would have drunk his blood? According to ‘Saint’ John, Jesus Christ explained: ‘The one who eats my flesh and drinks my blood resides in me, and I in him. (John, 6, 56; italics are mine, G.Š.)
That would explain the sudden confidence that the apostles acquired. They ate him and acquired his belief through his flesh and blood.

Again noit an unreasonable assumption as it is a belief among cannibalistic primitive tribes such as the maori that eating parts of a person will give the consumer that persons ability.ie. if you ate the eyes of someone who was known to have good vision that would give you that power as well.

There is far better reasons to assume cannibalism than there is ressurection.

Please do so, then. Thanks.

the facts:

1.Jesus's tomb was empty
2.The disciples were convinced Jesus saw came back after their death, something that must have compelled them to even get martyred for the cause
4. James, the brother of Jesus suddenly became a christian even though they were discrimanted against and there was no reason to

These facts need an explanation- the best explanation is that the Resurrection is real and no other theory can explain it nor the rise of Christianity

this is how the apologetic argument goes, i just learned about this 3 days ago when i did research on the topic goes and i support it

the facts:

1.Jesus's tomb was empty

These are not facts in the sense that they happened in the real world. These are the facts as laid out in a book that really is nothing more than stories of things that never actually happened.

And I given an alternative theory as to why these things happened.

have you considered the possibility that james was also there when they ate christs body? That would explain his and pauls conversion.

These are not facts in the sense that they happened in the real world. These are the facts as laid out in a book that really is nothing more than stories of things that never actually happened.

And I given an alternative theory as to why these things happened.

have you considered the possibility that james was also there when they ate christs body? That6 would explain his and pauls conversion.
they are historical evidence of all those facts

what theory explains the rise of Christianity?

the facts:

1.Jesus's tomb was empty

Those aren't facts; those are unproven claims. Rule #1 when debating matters of religion, any religion, is that one can not use a holy text to prove a holy text is 'factual.'

Those aren't facts; those are unproven claims. Rule #1 when debating matters of religion, any religion, is that one can not use a holy text to prove a holy text is 'factual.'
those facts are backed by history

those facts are backed by history
Well, if you are of that opinion, and it strengthens your faith in you religion of choice, that's cool by me. I'm certainly not here to try to convince you to renounce your faith, by any means.

Well, if you are of that opinion, and it strengthens your faith in you religion of choice, that's cool by me.
Josephus confrims these facts, in fact even atheist scholars think those are facts

they are historical evidence of all those facts

what theory explains the rise of Christianity?
No, there is not one historical fact you can turn to for jesus, crucifixion or resurection. All you have is a book that is more fantasy than historical in content.

No, there is not one historical fact you can turn to for jesus, crucifixion or resurection. All you have is a book that is more fantasy than historical in content.
*sign*

These are all historical facts, even Josephus talked about these facts, a historical scholar, not even biased

*sign*

These are all historical facts, even Josephus talked about these facts, a historical scholar, not even biased
And as has been pointed out in every instance those scholars are only basing their theories on hearsay about the event. There are no actual eye witness accounts outside of the one book of fairy tales you call a bible.

And as has been pointed out in every instance those scholars are only basing their theories on hearsay about the event. There are no actual eye witness accounts outside of the one book of fairy tales you call a bible.
just because there is no eye witnesses, doesnt mean it didnt happen epseically because there needs to be an explanation of these otherwise weird facts

Back
Top Bottom