• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lawmaker wants to strip benefits from veterans involved in January’s attack on Congress

jpn

Retired Navy Commander
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
A Marine-turned-congressman wants federal officials to deny veterans benefits to any current or former military members involved with the attack on the U.S. Capitol building earlier this year, saying they “no longer deserve” the payouts.

In letters to the Veterans Affairs secretary and attorney general made public Friday, Rep. Ruben Gallego, D-Ariz., said eligibility for education and vocational training should be stripped from those individuals, as well as disability compensation and VA health care access.​

I'm actually conflicted by this. I think anyone who engaged in the treasonous attack on our capitol should be tossed in jail for a few years to think about things. No question.

However, taking disability compensation and health care access away from veterans who were injured fighting our wars seems a step too far for me.

People make mistakes. People get on Facebook or Twitter or into weird groups like Qanon and get their heads screwed up royally. If they actually act on their delusions and injure people or desecrate national shrines to democracy, they should pay a high price. But not lose VA access or disability compensation.

I have a feeling this congressman's bill won't go far.

I agree - punish them for the crime but leave the benefits in place. Penalizing a person's benefits seems to me to be an extrajudicial sanction. It would be like taking away a pension from someone convicted of a crime.

Well, These are not regular benefits, they are benefits for you serving your country and if you take part in a coup against your country's goverment that should make your services depleted really. And you are a very conservative country that prefers people crawling around with proken legs because they can't pay for medical care in front of paying some taxes, so a logical measurement to do.

A Marine-turned-congressman wants federal officials to deny veterans benefits to any current or former military members involved with the attack on the U.S. Capitol building earlier this year, saying they “no longer deserve” the payouts.​
In letters to the Veterans Affairs secretary and attorney general made public Friday, Rep. Ruben Gallego, D-Ariz., said eligibility for education and vocational training should be stripped from those individuals, as well as disability compensation and VA health care access.​

I'm actually conflicted by this. I think anyone who engaged in the treasonous attack on our capitol should be tossed in jail for a few years to think about things. No question.

However, taking disability compensation and health care access away from veterans who were injured fighting our wars seems a step too far for me.

People make mistakes. People get on Facebook or Twitter or into weird groups like Qanon and get their heads screwed up royally. If they actually act on their delusions and injure people or desecrate national shrines to democracy, they should pay a high price. But not lose VA access or disability compensation.

LOL @ you being conflicted about this. Just do it already. Its pretty ****ing obvious that progressives will not be satisfied until they succeed in making it a crime for anyone to disagree with them. Save us all some time and do it already.

A Marine-turned-congressman wants federal officials to deny veterans benefits to any current or former military members involved with the attack on the U.S. Capitol building earlier this year, saying they “no longer deserve” the payouts.​

The rioters who were violent towards the cops and officials should have their benefits pulled in my opinion only.

But, short or murder and other extreme situations, it's pretty hard to deny veterans of their benefits.

The rioters who were non violent should be processed just like any other criminal.

LOL @ you being conflicted about this. Just do it already. Its pretty ****ing obvious that progressives will not be satisfied until they succeed in making it a crime for anyone to disagree with them. Save us all some time and do it already.

It's already a crime....

Any individual who is convicted after September 1, 1959, of any offense listed in subsection (b) of this section shall, from and after the date of commission of such offense, have no right to gratuitous benefits (including the right to burial in a national cemetery) under laws administered by the Secretary based on periods of military, naval, or air service commencing before the date of the commission of such offense and no other person shall be entitled to such benefits on account of such individual. After receipt of notice of the return of an indictment for such an offense the Secretary shall suspend payment of such gratuitous benefits pending disposition of the criminal proceedings. If any individual whose right to benefits has been terminated pursuant to this section is granted a pardon of the offense by the President of the United States, the right to such benefits shall be restored as of the date of such pardon.

It's already a crime....

Any individual who is convicted after September 1, 1959, of any offense listed in subsection (b) of this section shall, from and after the date of commission of such offense, have no right to gratuitous benefits (including the right to burial in a national cemetery) under laws administered by the Secretary based on periods of military, naval, or air service commencing before the date of the commission of such offense and no other person shall be entitled to such benefits on account of such individual. After receipt of notice of the return of an indictment for such an offense the Secretary shall suspend payment of such gratuitous benefits pending disposition of the criminal proceedings. If any individual whose right to benefits has been terminated pursuant to this section is granted a pardon of the offense by the President of the United States, the right to such benefits shall be restored as of the date of such pardon.

That wasnt what I was talking about being a crime but go ahead and start prosecuting everyone for the crime you posted. Stop pretending and start locking the people up who resist Progressive orthodoxy while simultaneously turning a blind eye for those who do adhere to it.

That wasnt what I was talking about being a crime but go ahead and start prosecuting everyone for the crime you posted. Stop pretending and start locking the people up who resist Progressive orthodoxy while simultaneously turning a blind eye for those who do adhere to it.

Sedition has consequences

Democrats have control of congress. Take the vote and start taking their benefits away. I am sure they can find better uses for that money.

They don’t need to vote... already authority in the books

Yep, strip them of any medals and pension

Make them ineligible for VA healthcare

Republicans won't object, because they say that they're all Anifa members anyway.

<> Its pretty ****ing obvious that progressives will not be satisfied until they succeed in making it a crime for anyone to disagree with them. <>

Trumpists consider armed insurrection that kills a cop and seeks to murder congress/Pence a "disagreement"?

It's already a crime....

Thanks for the reference that establishes that Mr. Gallego is a lawmaker who actually knows what the law actually is. It's such a refreshing change from the past administration.

Democrats have control of congress. Take the vote and start taking their benefits away. I am sure they can find better uses for that money.
THEY CAN!
rolling-on-the-floor-laughing_1f923.png

Yep, strip them of any medals and pension

Make them ineligible for VA healthcare

Republicans won't object, because they say that they're all Anifa members anyway.

BINGO!

The rioters who were violent towards the cops and officials should have their benefits pulled in my opinion only.

But, short or murder and other extreme situations, it's pretty hard to deny veterans of their benefits.

The rioters who were non violent should be processed just like any other criminal.
1622758224105.png

I sure hope I am not wrong about this but:

Every goddamn American outside of Trumplandia* wants them stripped and court martialed, and sent to Leavenworth!

*except for a handful like @jpn, apparently!

Sorry, when you sign on the dotted line and swear that oath, it's serious business.
Uncle Sam is GIVING you healthcare as well as thousands of other benefits to make up for the fact that you're sacrificing everything on the altar of freedom and democracy, and the Constitution.
You give these assholes a slap on the wrist and they will return to try it again, guaranteed.
Jesus ***ing Christ, it is SUPPOSED to hurt a lot.

They didn't just DESECRATE, their intent was to dismantle democracy and they are doubling down on that now, as you read this, are you hearing them?

Are you unable to read? He is calling on the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to act on his existing authority under the statute cited.

Yup, as my Navy wife says, Dishonorable and a Big Chicken Dinner.
And when you get the Big Chicken Dinner, that's the last of your bennies.
You are DONE.

now you want non violent rioters treated like criminals? are you serious?

They didn't just DESECRATE, their intent was to dismantle democracy and they are doubling down on that now, as you read this, are you hearing them?
Like I wrote, I'm conflicted by this.

It's so weird: someone who is willing to don our nation's uniform presumably to fight for what it stands for, then runs around trying to destroy what it stands for.

Obviously they are deluded by right-wing propaganda like Tucker Carlson and so on. Obviously they aren't thinking clearly about what democracy actually means.

Based on some of the responses, I'd say this:

Those who illegally paraded around in our Capitol building chanting stupid slogans: a few quiet years in the Big House to ponder what it means to be an American. Leave their benefits intact, especially medical if they are wounded vets.

Those who assaulted anyone while illegally parading around in our Capitol: f**k 'em.

In between those two extremes, well, take them case by case.

It should be based on the crime. If they merely were there, I'd say no. But, if we have evidence of them beating up police, damaging property, theft of laptops, or anything that is critical, I'd say they should lose their benefits.

now you want non violent rioters treated like criminals? are you serious?
Non-violent rioters illegally rioting in our nation's capitol to overthrow our democracy? How should they be treated? Like misbehaving children?

Back
Top Bottom