• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

LAPD ban of ‘thin blue line’ flags is latest salvo in culture war (LA Times)

How was it hijacked exactly?

Are we gonna start banning people from displaying rainbows because you know it's been hijacked by far left activist groups?
How many other symbols can we ban under this new innocuous term "hijacked"?

no. just becuse some crazies hijacked the thin blue line doesnt invalidate it. That's exactly the function of a police dept
considering huge city populations and only thousands of cops to stop crime waves

LA is a hot mess
~~

The LA Crime Picture is Not Pretty - CityWatch Los Angeles

https://www.citywatchla.com › index.php › 25907-the-l...

Nov 10, 2022 — The murder rate continues to increase along with many other crime categories. 2020 vs 2022 LAPD Crime Statistics. --Homicide is up +14.6% with ...

Los Angeles Murders Are Up 35% in Two Years as Gun ...

https://www.bloomberg.com › articles › 2022-06-28 › l...

Jun 28, 2022 — Halfway through the year, murders in Los Angeles are surging on a wave of gun violence, following last year's spike in crime.

These have nothing to do with that flag though. There's crime in the city, the city needs a police department, duh. What does it have to do with the flag?

They already have an American flag and a city badge as marks of identity. The blue lives matter flag was created as a far-right symbol from day one.

"Communist"????

Just stop.
Los Angeles mayor Susan Bass is a Marxist sympathizer and BLM supporter, so sorry if I called her a commie. My bad.

according to fox opinion it's the result of one complaint. But there's more to it than just that
That complaint ties the flag to white supremacy - the Police Chief then bailed on the blue line
The Los Angeles Police Department has ordered its officers not to display the “thin blue line” flag publicly, though they may still do so at their personal work spaces, lockers or personal vehicles. Chief Michel Moore said the flag’s original meaning, police support, has been “hijacked” by far-right extremist groups.
Chief Michel Moore ordered the flag, which was widely displayed in station lobbies around the city, to be removed from public view.

Moore’s decree also forced a public fissure between him and the powerful Los Angeles Police Protective League, which represents rank-and-file officers. While the union has not taken an official position on Moore’s on-going efforts to win another five-year term as chief, it has been supportive of his reappointment behind the scenes.

Inside the department, some said they saw Moore’s move as the chief taking sides in a clash over policing that has ratcheted up in recent years following the police killings of George Floyd and other Black people, according to officers who spoke with The Times on the condition that their identities be kept secret so that they could speak freely. Others felt the angry reaction to the ban was overblown.
But even those who didn’t feel strongly about the flag said it created the perception of kowtowing to progressive activists. They likened the ban to Moore’s decision to kneel alongside protesters at huge protests following Floyd’s murder. Some officers began circulating a years-old photo of Moore holding the flag while marching beside former L.A. County Sheriff Jim McDonnell.

In a departmentwide email, Moore said the flag’s original meaning of support for police had been overshadowed when it began appearing at rallies for the Proud Boys and other far-right extremist groups.

The “thin blue line” mentality isn’t something cops should be espousing in the first place.

The “thin blue line” mentality isn’t something cops should be espousing in the first place.
tis the truth. look at the 2020 riots where the cops didn't act because of politicians.
The thin blue line means civilization

tis the truth. look at the 202 riots where they didn't act because of politicians.
The thin blue line means civilization

Cops refusing to do their jobs because they’ll be held accountable shouldn’t be cops.

The “thin blue line” has led to cops covering up for bad officers time and again until they do something which simply can’t be covered up.

These have nothing to do with that flag though. There's crime in the city, the city needs a police department, duh. What does it have to do with the flag?

They already have an American flag and a city badge as marks of identity. The blue lives matter flag was created as a far-right symbol from day one.
there was a move called "Thin Blue Line" back in to 1980's I think it goes back to the 1950s

Cops refusing to do their jobs because they’ll be held accountable shouldn’t be cops.
The “thin blue line” has led to cops covering up for bad officers time and again until they do something which simply can’t be covered up.
accountability is a different issue., not dependent on any :thin blue line" reference
It's always been cops trying to cover for cops -i think there is a natural "us and them" mentality that goes with the job.

The answer isn't demoralizing cops -it's getting rid of bad cops.
Sen Tim Scott had a really good bill ready to go that did that and more the Dems refused it

accountability is a different issue., not dependent on any :thin blue line" reference
It's always been cops trying to cover for cops -i think there is a natural "us and them" mentality that goes with the job.

The answer isn't demoralizing cops -it's getting rid of bad cops.
Sen Tim Scott had a really good bill ready to go that did that and more the Dems refused it

Nope, much of the “demoralization” of the police forces has been due to policies meant to hold police forces accountable. And you seeing it as “natural” doesn’t excuse it.

Hard to get rid of bad cops when “the thin blue line” protects them.

Nope, much of the “demoralization” of the police forces has been due to policies meant to hold police forces accountable. And you seeing it as “natural” doesn’t excuse it.
Cops having to sit around and not act at rioters with frozen water bottles thrown at them, ANTIFA pre-piling up bricks for a riot,
The mayor of Baltimore ordered the police to stand down as riots and looting broke out across they city after the Freddie Grey death
and then saying , "we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well." ( after days of peaceful demonstrations"...
the list is endless where politicians exacerbate disrespect and loathing for cops...nothing to do with "accountability"
Citizens review boards, Internal affairs, cops being fired by politicians "defund the police" -get it?
Cops naturlaly feel 'us and them'.. But still accountability is easily had . transparency, etc.
And the Scott bill would have a national database so bad cops cant get re-hired, and national train ing standards

Cops having to sit around and not act at rioters with frozen water bottles thrown at them, ANTIFA piling up bricks, The mayor of Baltimore ordered the police to stand down as riots and looting broke out across they city after the Freddie Grey death and then saying , "we also gave those who wished to destroy space to do that as well." ( after days of peaceful demonstrations"...he list is endless where politicians exacerbate disrespect and loathing for cops...nothing to do with "accountability"

Citizens review boards, Internal affairs, cops being fired by politicians "defund the police" -get it?
Cops naturlly feel us and them.. But still accountability is easily had . transparency, etc.
And the Scott bill woild have a national database so bad cops cant get re-hired, and national train ing standards

Cops feeling persecuted by methods used to hold them accountable proves my point perfectly.

Cops feeling persecuted by methods used to hold them accountable proves my point perfectly.
LOL. not at all what i said. They get disrespected and used by politicians, hated by BLM, "defunded" and under staffed..etc

LOL. not at all what i said. They get disrespected and used by politicians, hated by BLM, "defunded" and under staffed..etc

Holding police accountable is only “disrespect” in the eyes of those clinging to the “thin blue line” nonsense.

How was it hijacked exactly?

Are we gonna start banning people from displaying rainbows because you know it's been hijacked by far left activist groups?

How many other symbols can we ban under this new innocuous term "hijacked"?
B73SFX.png

Everything is racist....everything should be banned...so says the tolerant left.

Who honestly gives a flying ****? ****ing idiots crying over every little change like it means anything 😂

Any guesses as to the political leaning of the driver?

View attachment 67433983

Probably conservative. Definitely someone who loves America.

Though I consider myself a bit of a conservative I wouldn't drive around like that as I have rescued numerous flags of various sizes on the sides of the road....

Funny the only demoralization they give a shit about is a militarized and violent police force that you cannot legally defend yourself against.

Not ya know…. Our teachers… essential to our future….

It's a political symbol now?

If it was a teacher's symbol for "support public schools as the only form of education" then you would instantly identify it as a political symbol.

When did that happen?

Centuries ago when the State claimed a monopoly on law enforcement. They're civil servants, so apply the same standards you would to teachers or to bureaucrats.

The "Thin Blue Line" flag is a mutilated US flag, and should be treated with contempt,- whoever flies it. Other than flying the flag upside down as a sign of distress, the Flag Code does not endorse ANY variations on the official flag.

The symbolism of a blue line standing between some of the original 13 colonies, and some others plus the Union, is also highly provocative. It's not necessary to count colonies to interpret that as police defending slavery.

No wonder this flag was readily adopted by Proud Boys and other terrorist scum. If police want a symbol of their place in society, standing between criminals and law-abiding people, blah blah, then they should commission a new one without the horrible symbolism on it.

If it was a teacher's symbol for "support public schools as the only form of education" then you would instantly identify it as a political symbol.

The blue line flag doesn't do that.

Centuries ago when the State claimed a monopoly on law enforcement. They're civil servants, so apply the same standards you would to teachers or to bureaucrats.

A monopoly on law enforcement because private law enforcement (and private firemen) worked so well.

Right?

The monied get the service and the rest got nothing.

The blue line flag doesn't do that.

A monopoly on law enforcement because private law enforcement (and private firemen) worked so well.

Right?

The monied get the service and the rest got nothing.

That's the problem with private schools. But if teachers were to adopt a version of the US flag which represented "public school teachers for all" then you would be just as offended, as I am offended by a "thin blue line" flag which states visually that police stand between some Americans and the Union, and other Americans.

That is a political message, and it is a conflict of interest for police, teachers, or any other civil servant to take money with one hand but wave a political flag with the other.

If you're a "right libertarian" then I shouldn't have to tell you this.

That's the problem with private schools. But if teachers were to adopt a version of the US flag which represented "public school teachers for all" then you would be just as offended, as I am offended by a "thin blue line" flag which states visually that police stand between some Americans and the Union, and other Americans.

That is a political message, and it is a conflict of interest for police, teachers, or any other civil servant to take money with one hand but wave a political flag with the other.

If you're a "right libertarian" then I shouldn't have to tell you this.

Interesting.

My take:

The thin blue line represents those who stand between innocent civilians and those who would prey upon them.

How is that inconsistent with being "right libertarian"? Does "right libertarian" somehow mean I accept chaos?

Think before answering.

Would life be better without police?

Back
Top Bottom