• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

King Tut’s dagger made of iron from a meteorite

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
King Tut’s dagger made of iron from a meteorite

June 2, 2016

CjcnwS4UgAAETIZ.jpg

A dagger buried alongside King Tutankhamun was made out of a meteorite, according to new research

A dagger buried alongside King Tutankhamun was made with iron from a meteorite, according to research published in the journal Meteoritics & Planetary Science. Using X-ray fluorescence, a team of researchers, led by Daniela Comelli of the Polytechnic University of Milan, analyzed the blade and found that it has a similar composition to metallic meteorites. The dagger was one of two, discovered in 1925, beneath the wrappings surrounding King Tut’s body. The iron dagger, which had a gold sheath and handle, was found by King Tut’s right thigh. For years, archaeologists have debated whether or not the iron dagger was meteoric in origin, though the researchers note, previous analysis of the dagger provided controversial results.

According to the study, early iron works are rarely found in ancient Egypt, suggesting that the Egyptians found the material hard to work with and typically reserved it for ceremonial tools and items. The researchers note that the discovery provides further insight into ancient Egyptian descriptions of iron some 100 years after King Tut’s death, where the mineral is described as “iron of the sky.” “The introduction of the new composite term suggests that the ancient Egyptians, in the wake of other ancient people of the Mediterranean area, were aware that these rare chunks of iron fell from the sky already in the 13th C. BCE, anticipating Western culture by more than two millennia,” the researchers concluded.

Probably only a ceremonial dagger but still out of this world ;)

Royalty has its perks, this has always been true throughout history.

If true, that is badass.

I'll be go to hell. I wouldn't have guessed that they even worked iron then. Bronze age, I'd have said.
Very cool.

Exactly my first thought too, that the Egyptians were in the Bronze age and not the iron age.
I wonder how they were able to work the raw metal into a dagger? They wouldn't have had the tools for it.

Exactly my first thought too, that the Egyptians were in the Bronze age and not the iron age.
I wonder how they were able to work the raw metal into a dagger? They wouldn't have had the tools for it.

Funny, eh? Thousands of years later and we're still saying, "Huh! How'd they do that?"

Funny, eh? Thousands of years later and we're still saying, "Huh! How'd they do that?"

Yup. I think it's a good thing, some excitement in the Egyptology community! (Normally everything is just dead) :lamo

I think if the iron basically already had the impurities burned out,
they could just beat it into shape with hammers.

The strength of that blade must be out of this world.

Back
Top Bottom