• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Killer robots: Chinese university recruits talented 'patriotic' teens to help develop AI weapons

minamicruiser

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
From ABC

Earlier this year, Chinese scientists said they were developing "giant" AI submarines that can carry out complex missions without on-board human control, ready to deploy by 2020.

China also has the world's largest testing facility for drone boats and has other projects focused on land and air-based drone weaponry.
a Chinese state-owned company announced on Thursday that it was developing a stealth combat drone that could "fly long hours, scout and strike the target when necessary".

But, despite their ramped up operations, the US still leads the world in the use of drone and AI technology for the military.
____

I find it really scary that China is actually using very young people to actually make use of AI as weapons. AI in my opinion is something that could be really useful and beneficial to humanity -healthcare, for example . AI in weapons? Not so much.

From ABC

Earlier this year, Chinese scientists said they were developing "giant" AI submarines that can carry out complex missions without on-board human control, ready to deploy by 2020.

China also has the world's largest testing facility for drone boats and has other projects focused on land and air-based drone weaponry.
a Chinese state-owned company announced on Thursday that it was developing a stealth combat drone that could "fly long hours, scout and strike the target when necessary".

But, despite their ramped up operations, the US still leads the world in the use of drone and AI technology for the military.
____

I find it really scary that China is actually using very young people to actually make use of AI as weapons. AI in my opinion is something that could be really useful and beneficial to humanity -healthcare, for example . AI in weapons? Not so much.

They are basically university students who have specialized from day one of their education

You're naive if you don't think that the US and many other countries are doing the same. We recruit the brightest young minds to create new and improved death machines for Uncle Sam. Unfortunately we do not value education and scientific funding to the same degree other countries do and are beginning to lose our technological dominance.

From ABC

____

Would your comment be the same (name change exempted) if it was the US government that was doing essentially the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom