• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Kerry apologizes

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
http://www.johnkerry.com/news/releases/release.html?id=37

As a combat veteran, I want to make it clear to anyone in uniform and to their loved ones: my poorly stated joke at a rally was not about, and never intended to refer to any troop.

I sincerely regret that my words were misinterpreted to wrongly imply anything negative about those in uniform, and I personally apologize to any service member, family member, or American who was offended.

It is clear the Republican Party would rather talk about anything but their failed security policy. I don’t want my verbal slip to be a diversion from the real issues. I will continue to fight for a change of course to provide real security for our country, and a winning strategy for our troops.

If only the elitist snob would of said this yesterday before he was dragged into doing so.

My very first time to vote was between him and Bush. I watched him but I honestly couldn't understand anything of what he was gonna do, all I remember is him saying stuff about Bush. What was the "real security for our country" he mentioned?

I still kringe on the thought of him possibly being President.

He is such a pathetic patriot.

Can you imagine what it would be like with him on 9/11.

Come to the White House Osama - let's do dinner. Ketchup?

vauge said:
I still kringe on the thought of him possibly being President.

He is such a pathetic patriot.

Can you imagine what it would be like with him on 9/11.

Come to the White House Osama - let's do dinner. Ketchup?

:rofl Ohh I see! And I bet he'd claim he did that so he could "keep his eye on him!" :D :spin:

ha ha ha :lamo

just yesterday wasnt he saying he wouldnt appologise to anyone? :2rofll:

star2589 said:
ha ha ha :lamo

just yesterday wasnt he saying he wouldnt appologise to anyone? :2rofll:

So? What's wrong with that? He saw the horrible reaction he got and decided that he should apologize for his statement. You're going to make fun of him? Classy. :roll:

____

Personally, I am proud of Kerry for apologizing. It was the right thing to do. Yes, he should have done it earlier, but he did it, and I am proud of him.

aps said:
So? What's wrong with that? He saw the horrible reaction he got and decided that he should apologize for his statement. You're going to make fun of him? Classy. :roll:

____

Personally, I am proud of Kerry for apologizing. It was the right thing to do. Yes, he should have done it earlier, but he did it, and I am proud of him.

Yes it was the right thing to do but a conditional apology is almost worse than no apology what so ever. To little to late IMO.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Yes it was the right thing to do but a conditional apology is almost worse than no apology what so ever. To little to late IMO.

How was it conditional?

aps said:
How was it conditional?
It's conditional because rather than apologize for insulting the troops like he did, he pulled the "if you misunderstood what I said to mean something I never intended, then I'm sorry you took it that way." That's lame.

aps said:

____

if I thought there was any sincerity in his appology, I'd agree with you. but after his previous statements, it seems obvious that its just a political move.

Statement of Senator John Kerry

As a combat veteran, I want to make it clear to anyone in uniform and to their loved ones: my poorly stated joke at a rally was not about, and never intended to refer to any troop.

I sincerely regret that my words were misinterpreted to wrongly imply anything negative about those in uniform, and I personally apologize to any service member, family member, or American who was offended.

It is clear the Republican Party would rather talk about anything but their failed security policy. I don’t want my verbal slip to be a diversion from the real issues. I will continue to fight for a change of course to provide real security for our country, and a winning strategy for our troops.

Lets look close at his so called apology;

First he claims "his poorly stated joke". Tell me how this was a joke in the first place?

John Kerry:

We're here to talk about education. But I want to say something before that....You know, education, if you make the most of it and you study hard and you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq.

First he said we are here to talk about education, documents obtained by the Boston Globe daily showed Mr Kerry got a string of D grades in his first year at Yale. They showed that John Kerry had a cumulative grade average of 76 for his four years at Yale, the paper said.

President Bush, who also went to Yale and was two years behind John Kerry, had an average of 77, according to records published by the New Yorker magazine in 1999.

Kerry and Bush had similar grades

So if there grades were this close to each other and Bush being slightly higher, then I would say if this were a joke, then it was on Kerry himself more then Bush.

So I come to the conclusion that this was not meant to be a joke on Bush in the first place.

Now, I will take his apology at what it said. Next Kerry says:

It is clear the Republican Party would rather talk about anything but their failed security policy.

It is clear that John Kerry would rather blame the Republicans for calling him out on his so called "botched joke" (which at this point I never believed it to be a joke in the first place.) to apologize to our Troops and there family.

Conclusion; John Kerry is a liar and a danger to the Troops in Iraq. By making statements like this he is giving the enemy in Iraq the push to keep fighting knowing that if jackasses like him (pun intended) gain control of our country, America will cut and run and they can claim victory. And if they claim victory, they will never stop until they can control you here at home - America.

John Kerry is a Looser and our country would be better off without him having any kind of power.

I can't find the audio or transcript. (still looking) :(

In the vent of "fairness" - his preivous two sentences were about Bush's failed policies and how much worse we are in this country. "But, we're not here to talk about that." Then the infamous quotes above came out of his long winded mouth.

I is still nice to see Kerry get spanked for his stupidity.

CurrentAffairs said:
It's conditional because rather than apologize for insulting the troops like he did, he pulled the "if you misunderstood what I said to mean something I never intended, then I'm sorry you took it that way." That's lame.

Well, I see your point, if you truly believed he insulted our troops. I don't believe he intended to insult the troops. When people have misconstrued something I said, I will say, "I feel terrible that you thought I intentionally insulted you" or something to that effect. I don't think I should have to apologize for something I didn't say, if that makes sense, but I can apologize for how someone received what I said.

star2589 said:
if I thought there was any sincerity in his appology, I'd agree with you. but after his previous statements, it seems obvious that its just a political move.

I think he was genuinely surprised that people mistook the meaning of his statement, which was why he was so adamant about not apologizing. I can relate to situations like that. However, he subsequently learned that A LOT of people mistook his statement, and thus he had to apologize for its implication.

aps said:
Well, I see your point, if you truly believed he insulted our troops. I don't believe he intended to insult the troops. When people have misconstrued something I said, I will say, "I feel terrible that you thought I intentionally insulted you" or something to that effect. I don't think I should have to apologize for something I didn't say, if that makes sense, but I can apologize for how someone received what I said.

Tell me how could a comment about the uneducated being stuck in Iraq be a reference to Bush who has a Harvard M.B.A.? His rebuttle to the critisism is damage control and you know it.

vauge said:
I can't find the audio or transcript. (still looking) :(

In the vent of "fairness" - his preivous two sentences were about Bush's failed policies and how much worse we are in this country. "But, we're not here to talk about that." Then the infamous quotes above came out of his long winded mouth.

I is still nice to see Kerry get spanked for his stupidity.

Correct, once he said "But, we're not here to talk about that, We're here to talk about education" is why I do not believe he was pushing a joke on Bush.

Democratic party would do better if he would just keep his mouth shut. I think it would be fair to say if they loose this next election, they could blame Kerry.

Tell me how could a comment about the uneducated being stuck in Iraq be a reference to Bush who has a Harvard M.B.A.? His rebuttle to the critisism is damage control and you know it.

No I don't know it. And one isn't necessarily "smart" just because they went to Yale and Harvard. My father went to Harvard Law School, but he isn't smart on some topics. Politicians insult each other's intelligence all the time. He had just been speaking about how Bush was in a state of denial and then went into the education issue. John Kerry isn't a good speaker, but he isn't stupid enough to insult troops while we are engaged in a war. You want to believe the worst in him, and that's your prerogative, but it says to me that you are blinded by your hatred.

When George Bush did the slide show where he showed himself looking for WMDs in the Oval Office, I found that behavior despicable and distasteful. I can't stand the guy, but I KNOW he didn't do that with any intent to disrespect those who died in Iraq looking for the WMDs. I'm clearly more open-minded than you are. Thank goodness for that.

aps said:
John Kerry isn't a good speaker, but he isn't stupid enough to insult troops while we are engaged in a war.

John Kerry`s Testimony THURSDAY, APRIL 22, 1971

WINTER SOLDIER INVESTIGATION

I would like to talk, representing all those veterans, and say that several months ago in Detroit, we had an investigation at which over 150 honorably discharged and many very highly decorated veterans testified to war crimes committed in Southeast Asia, not isolated incidents but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command....

They told the stories at times they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam in addition to the normal ravage of war, and the normal and very particular ravaging which is done by the applied bombing power of this country.

Has a conservative ever given anything but one??? Limbaugh gave one of the most qualified apologies I have ever heard about the whole Parkinsons thing, yet you guys certainly were not condemning him for it.

What he said was insulting to our troops and he should have apologized right away. However, I don't believe that he intended to insult them, but rather I think he is just such an elitist snob he did not even think about what he was saying.

As to making Bush look stupid, his total lack of intellectual curiosity makes it pretty easy for just about anyone to do so. The fact that he has an MBA is irrelevant. Karl Rove is only a High School Graduate yet anyone would admit that he is very intelligent. Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Micheal Dell are not college grads, but all of them probably have a far higher IQ than most PHDs do.

aps said:
So what? It would be ONE THING if this was NOT true--but it is true. Soldiers committed these acts. I'm so glad that things he said over 30 years ago are so relevant to here and now. :roll:

Thats the problem with Dem's, they have a so what attitude. The fact is that he did this at a time of war and he never witnessed any of this himself. Only what he was told by pot and opium smoking hippie vets who were probably the only ones who would commit such atrocities and then blame it on the war. We were there to fight communism and because of jerks like Kerry we lost that war and now he is pulling the same ***** now.

Why do you think the Swift boat vets and most all Vietnam vets dislike him? it is because they believe he lied and insinuated that all Americans are evil. point is Aps, John Kerry is bad for this nation and he needs to go. His hatred for this country is evident in my eyes and he is far more of an idiot then Bush will ever be.

F41 said:
Thats the problem with Dem's, they have a so what attitude. The fact is that he did this at a time of war and he never witnessed any of this himself. Only what he was told by pot and opium smoking hippie vets who were probably the only ones who would commit such atrocities and then blame it on the war. We were there to fight communism and because of jerks like Kerry we lost that war and now he is pulling the same ***** now.

Why do you think the Swift boat vets and most all Vietnam vets dislike him? it is because they believe he lied and insinuated that all Americans are evil. point is Aps, John Kerry is bad for this nation and he needs to go. His hatred for this country is evident in my eyes and he is far more of an idiot then Bush will ever be.

The only hatred I see is yours. Bye bye. :2wave:

aps said:
The only hatred I see is yours. Bye bye. :2wave:

Oh, Cut And Run, I see. Typical, I should have known. :2wave:

Back
Top Bottom