• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Kennedy hypocracy vs Alito

Deegan said:
If only that young lady was around to "express herself beautifully" oh how very nice that would be, but she can't, Ted made sure of that. You go tell her family that Ted had some concussion, and that he must have been in "shock" when he stumbled away, leaving her for dead. No, this drunk bastard took a curve to fast, drove in to a lake, and only worried about getting Ted out, as he was obviously aware enough to get himself out. You people can forgive him till the cows come home, I just don't respect your decision, and it really makes me question your intelligence.

Wow. What a mean thing to say. Deegan, question my intelligence all you want. That is not something that I am remotely insecure about, and I genuinely wouldn't care if someone on this message board deemed me as unintelligent. You'd think I was saying nice things about Jeffrey Dahmer, Charles Manson, or the BTK killer.

aps said:
Wow. What a mean thing to say. Deegan, question my intelligence all you want. That is not something that I am remotely insecure about, and I genuinely wouldn't care if someone on this message board deemed me as unintelligent. You'd think I was saying nice things about Jeffrey Dahmer, Charles Manson, or the BTK killer.
Good point. All of them, including Ted, waited awhile before admitting their crimes.

aps said:

Maybe I was harsh, but I get very angry well apologists try to defend Ted and his actions on that day. If this had been anyone but a Kennedy, he would have been jailed, and his life ruined. Can you voters at the very least, admit that much to the rest of us?:confused:

Deegan said:
If you do not think that our officials have to answer to the country, the entire country, you have not been honest with us here. His first response had to be to his state, and his state has excused him, so I don't really blame Ted for his seat, I must blame Mass. I can not understand the forgiveness given him, and with little explanation, or question in the matter. Leaving a woman to her death, leaving the scene, and then not reporting it for hours and hours, as she lay drowning, unforgivable IMO. Should this kind of person be choosing our best and brightest, much less be sitting in a position of such power for the people of Mass? They have said yes, and that speaks volumes about the people of this state, who put political power, before electing honest, capable, qualified folks. He is a name sake, a super star of that state, and many on the left, but he is no JFK or even RFK, he is the disappointing Ted, and all they have left to rise up, sad really.

Oh, that's easy, they probably learned it from Jesus.

I do think officials have to answer, and he did. You may not be satisfied with the answer and statement of regret, but they occured. I am not satified either, but unfortunately I don't rule the universe, you'll have to talk to KCConservative.

His character immediately after the accident was bad, but I find his explanation very plausible. I have been in situations where I was so shocked, it paralyzed me.
Immediately?? His character has been bad to this day!

The accident at Chappaquiddick, along with continuing allegations of heavy drinking, drug use, and womanizing have haunted Kennedy's reputation and hampered his political career through the decades since it transpired. He withdrew in 1974 from the 1976 presidential race and failed in a 1980 primary challenge to Jimmy Carter. Critics have specifically pointed to allegations that he and fellow Senator Christopher Dodd assaulted a waitress at Washington DC's La Brasserie restaurant in 1985 and a night of barhopping on Good Friday in 1991 with his nephew William Kennedy Smith which culminated in Smith's trial and acquittal for rape.

and...

In his sophomore year he was expelled for cheating. He had been failing Spanish and feared it would keep him off the varsity football team.
- He paid a friend to take the exam for him.
- Ted's friend, however, was recognized when he turned in the exam book.

- Both lads were expelled, but were advised that they could apply for readmission in a year if they demonstrated responsible citizenship.
and this man has the audacity to criticize Alito??

Deegan said:
Maybe I was harsh, but I get very angry well apologists try to defend Ted and his actions on that day. If this had been anyone but a Kennedy, he would have been jailed, and his life ruined. Can you voters at the very least, admit that much to the rest of us?:confused:

Thank you, Deegan. It's okay. I can be harsh too (we passionate people can be that way ;)). Oh, he definitely escaped manslaughter charges because of his connections. And I told this to KC, that I do understand your dislike of him. If I didn't like him and didn't agree with his politics, I would feel the same way. Peace, my friend. :cool:

KCConservative said:
Good point. All of them, including Ted, waited awhile before admitting their crimes.

LOL *aps saying to herself that she must keep her promise to KC and validate his dislike of Kennedy in this thread*

Good one, KC. Good one. ;)

Gill said:

and...

But Like it or not, Kennedy for the moment is Ailto's "Boss." If Alito is soooo offended by having to be criticized by the likes of Ted Kennedy, he can withdraw his nomination.

I think Alito will carry on though, no big deal.

You don't need to be indiginant on Alito's Behalf. Alito is a smart guy, he'll get through without emotional trauma.

Gill said:

and...

Those are valid points, Gill.

aps said:
Thank you, Deegan. It's okay. I can be harsh too (we passionate people can be that way ;)). Oh, he definitely escaped manslaughter charges because of his connections. And I told this to KC, that I do understand your dislike of him. If I didn't like him and didn't agree with his politics, I would feel the same way. Peace, my friend. :cool:

I appreciate your understanding, and I think I know why so many give Ted a pass in that state, it's his family, mainly his brother, that has you so star struck. I can accept that, I just don't like it, especially when he is so angry in his speeches, and so partisan in his search for the "truth". Hey, I believe both of us would have done things differently, had we been in that situation, I just wish Ted had been more responsible.;)

Deegan said:
I appreciate your understanding, and I think I know why so many give Ted a pass in that state, it's his family, mainly his brother, that has you so star struck. I can accept that, I just don't like it, especially when he is so angry in his speeches, and so partisan in his search for the "truth". Hey, I believe both of us would have done things differently, had we been in that situation, I just wish Ted had been more responsible.;)

That may be the case for people who knew his family. I was born in 1968, so the only family member I know in the Kennedy clan is Ted. I agree--he can be too angry and say some over-the-top things (I think he was objective inappropriate yesterday at the Alito hearing), but on the whole, I am aligned with him politically. So it's him I like. But yes, he was 37 at the time. I am 38, and I know I would have better judgment than he showed that night.

americanwoman said:
Kennendy is a fat disgusting pig and I can't stand him! He bought himself a place in the senate and now we have to watch him make an ass of himself talking like an idiot who doesn't even know what he says.
*news flash kennedy* before you talk sh!t about others-- remember what you have done too.

All of the Senators have a job to do with making sure that Judge Alito is a fair nominee for Supreme Court Judge. I don't think that makes anyone look like an idiot.The Republicans would do the same if the tables were turned. If the Judge and the wife can't take the heat for a lifetime position, they should not be there in the first place. If the Judge would lie about some group he placed on a job application or a group he belonged to then maybe a liar should not be Supreme Court Judge. Senator Kennedy admits he has made mistakes. He will pay the consequence by never being president.

Deegan said:
If only that young lady was around to "express herself beautifully" oh how very nice that would be, but she can't, Ted made sure of that. You go tell her family that Ted had some concussion, and that he must have been in "shock" when he stumbled away, leaving her for dead. No, this drunk bastard took a curve to fast, drove in to a lake, and only worried about getting Ted out, as he was obviously aware enough to get himself out. You people can forgive him till the cows come home, I just don't respect your decision, and it really makes me question your intelligence.

He claimed he tried to get her out, maybe he did and maybe he didn't the only people that know that are him and her. Regardless, everybody makes mistakes and thats where drinking and driving will get you. If it were me, I couldn't live with myself. I understand why people feel the way they do about him. However, I think he makes a good Senator and thats why he has been re-elected for about 30 years.

Last edited:
alphieb said:
He claimed he tried to get her out, maybe he did and maybe he didn't the only people that know that are him and her. Regardless, everybody makes mistakes and thats where drinking and driving will get you. If it were me, I couldn't live with myself. I understand why people feel the way they do about him. However, I think he makes a good Senator and thats why he has been re-elected for about 30 years.

That or people are just suckered by the name.......

The whole clan is a little wrong as far as i'm concerned. I hate it when they call them american royalty. If royalty is rum running whoremongers womanizers drunken killing rapist then maybe the title fits

You complained:
KCConservative said:
I have never heard him express regret for letting her drown. Remind me to use you as a character witness if I should ever find myself in a similar situation.
Then were proven wrong and this is your response:

KCConservative said:
Thanks for the link, aps.

I love carefully prepared remarks 24 hours after a crime has been commited, don't you?
Ain't nothin' gonna please you. Now, how soon after a friend has died, should remarks be made to the press regarding it? Is 11 hours long enough to grieve before talking to the newspapers or is that too soon? Give me an exact number so we all know what's appropriate for future incidents.

Now, how soon after Laura Welch's accident did she talk to the press? How about this answer;

We can play this lame game all day long, but it goes nowhere. That's my point here. You play tit, I can play tat. Why bitch about this crap and just stick with the issues at hand instead of playing lame partisan games?

Now, how soon after a friend has died, should remarks be made to the press regarding it?
A friend?? I don't think so, at least not before that night. She was in a group of six single women brought to the island to party with six married men.

And where was Kennedy's wife this fateful weekend? Kennedy said she wasn't feeling well. Actually she was home, pregnant with their child.

What a boor.

aps said:
You all are so ridiculous. I doubt any one of you should be throwing stones, but if it makes you feel better to condemn someone for the rest of their life because of an accident, then go right ahead. The anger you all display about Kennedy indicates that he has a lot of control over your emotions.

aps, I beg to differ......when someone gets in a car drunk and kills someone while driving that is no accident...........

Navy Pride said:
aps, I beg to differ......when someone gets in a car drunk and kills someone while driving that is no accident...........
Great, so you have proof he was drunk. Let's see it.

Navy Pride said:

Navy Pride, I have gone back and forth with KC and Deegan on this. I understand why people cannot stand Kennedy, so I hear what you're saying, bad boy. :)

libertarian_knight said:
But Like it or not, Kennedy for the moment is Ailto's "Boss." If Alito is soooo offended by having to be criticized by the likes of Ted Kennedy, he can withdraw his nomination.

I think Alito will carry on though, no big deal.

You don't need to be indiginant on Alito's Behalf. Alito is a smart guy, he'll get through without emotional trauma.

I don't care who President Bush nominates for the SCOTUS Kennedy would be against him........That is just a fact of life.........

shuamort said:
Great, so you have proof he was drunk. Let's see it.

There is really no sense debating with you if you don't accept that fact........Even the ardent Kennedy supporters in this forum have not denied he was drunk.......

aps said:
Navy Pride, I have gone back and forth with KC and Deegan on this. I understand why people cannot stand Kennedy, so I hear what you're saying, bad boy. :)

I see that now after I have read the whole thread........I was responding to and earlier comment you made.............I apologize for jumping on you about it my friend.......:3oops:

Navy Pride said:
There is really no sense debating with you if you don't accept that fact........Even the ardent Kennedy supporters in this forum have not denied he was drunk.......
Gotcha, no proof. Movin' on.

Navy Pride said:
I see that now after I have read the whole thread........I was responding to and earlier comment you made.............I apologize for jumping on you about it my friend.......:3oops:

Navy Pride, you can jump all over me all you want. I would never take it personally. You and I are always good even if we're fighting. :cheers:

Navy Pride said:

Kennedy said he was not drunk in his speech. I don't know if that is true or not, and I haven't seen evidence either way.

Back
Top Bottom