• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

JW in real time

fortune

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I have read here and believe there are some really up to speed JW people who post in this forum.
So I post this, not to express MY technical expertise but to offer you who ARE experts to tell us who are not experts all of what it going on day to day , week to week, month to month.

As an expression of my education I graduated from Georia Tech with a BS in aerospace engineering a half a century ago but I have no idea how this thing is orbiting.. it is f---ng strange.

Please all of you post what is going on with JW in one location we can all follow.

For example have the solar wings unfurled?
What is next?

JW=James Webb Telescope.
Not to be confused with the OTHER "JW" found very frequently in this forum, the Jehovah's Witnesses.

No need to economize by using initials, @fortune...especially if they're not well known.
If you used NASA everyone would know it meant National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

PS: I too am eager for more news on the telescope and I've had the NASA stream on all day.

This is a 30 minute watch but in my opinion the best summary of the full set of engineering marvels that comprise the JWST. Mirrors unfolding are cool but they don’t really capture some of the most impactful elements of its design.

I have read here and believe there are some really up to speed JW people who post in this forum.
So I post this, not to express MY technical expertise but to offer you who ARE experts to tell us who are not experts all of what it going on day to day , week to week, month to month.

As an expression of my education I graduated from Georia Tech with a BS in aerospace engineering a half a century ago but I have no idea how this thing is orbiting.. it is f---ng strange.

Please all of you post what is going on with JW in one location we can all follow.

What is next?
The JWST will be placed in Earth's second Lagrange Point (L2). Lagrange Points #4 and #5 are gravity wells. Anything in those locations will follow Earth's orbit without requiring rockets. However, because of this there are already small asteroids in both locations. Legrange Points #1, #2, and #3 are only quasi-stable. Which means that in order for objects to remain in those locations some small adjustments need to be made or the objects will slowly begin to drift away. Which is why there are no objects in those Lagrange Points.

Lagrange Points.jpg

Furthermore, the JWST will not be located precisely at Lagrange Point #2, but rather orbiting the location. It will take approximately six months for the JWST to orbit L2.

What is next?
There's a site for that!
For the moment it is drifting its way to the L2 lagrange point where it will float around in orbit of, keeping it shaded from the sun. There are a couple small course correction burns on the way and it slowly deploys things over the next couple weeks. It gets to its destination almost a month after launch, so more than three weeks to go... and then another few months running checks, calibrating, and of all things... cooling down!

The JWST will be placed in Earth's second Lagrange Point (L2). Lagrange Points #4 and #5 are gravity wells. Anything in those locations will follow Earth's orbit without requiring rockets. However, because of this there are already small asteroids in both locations. Legrange Points #1, #2, and #3 are only quasi-stable. Which means that in order for objects to remain in those locations some small adjustments need to be made or the objects will slowly begin to drift away. Which is why there are no objects in those Lagrange Points.

View attachment 67366167

Furthermore, the JWST will not be located precisely at Lagrange Point #2, but rather orbiting the location. It will take approximately six months for the JWST to orbit L2.

the la range thing is difficult grasp
I am going to belive at this poin
t that JW will forever use an earth eclipse in not the suns orbit and in the son's shago forever escept weer the solar ligh bars can peek out onc i auler to chargre

t that JW will forever use an earth eclipse in not the suns orbit and in the son's shago forever escept weer the solar ligh bars can peek out onc i auler to chargre
Every pair of objects that are gravitationally bound has Lagrange Points. The last image showed the Lagrange Points between the Earth and the Sun, but there are also Lagrange Points between the Earth and the Moon.

Earth-Moon Lagrange Points.jpg

The L4 and L5 locations for Jupiter are also where the Greek and Trojan asteroids are located. Every pair of objects that are in orbit around each other has Lagrange Points.

As I mentioned above, the JWST will be orbiting Earth's L2. Taking six months to complete one orbit. So it will not have the Earth always blocking the Sun. However, the satellite is designed to keep its back toward the Sun at all times.

Someone may have already addressed this, but I'm pretty sure I heard them discussing on tv that the Webb telescope will 'totally' unfurl/deploy over a period of several weeks or months. But I was only catching bits and pieces of the interview, so don't hold me to that.

Someone may have already addressed this, but I'm pretty sure I heard them discussing on tv that the Webb telescope will 'totally' unfurl/deploy over a period of several weeks or months. But I was only catching bits and pieces of the interview, so don't hold me to that.
This short JWST video will give you the timeline:

You can think of a lagrange point as a spot where the gravitational forces balance out, so an object will keep more or less in the same position relative to earth without having to make so many course correction burns. In this case, it's also a useful spot because it can keep both the sun and earth behind it, for a clear view out into space and also being able to maintain communications with earth and solar power.

What is next?

Back
Top Bottom