• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Just Got Hit by an Uninsured Motorist

lurchadams

Zoom Warrior
Banned
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I was driving the speed limit in the right turning lane about ready to turn right and I felt this "smash" on my rear, drivers side. At first I thought I'd run over boulder or something but then an alarm went off in my head, "NO SOMEONE JUST ****ING HIT ME!". Fortunately, he pulled over into a parking lot with me (I had jumped out of my car and was ready to try to take a pic of him with my phone).

The guy doesn't want to go through insurance, but I am not a collection agency. I reported to my insurance immediately - I should file a police report.

My insurance told me they'll pursue the other guy for the claim amount, plus my deductible and if they get it they'll reimburse me. Even if I don't recover the deductible, it's worth the $500 not to go through the hassle of setting up the repair, the rental car and trying to get my $ from the guy.

I think the other guy probably does have insurance and just didn't want to use it. Not my problem.

I was driving the speed limit in the right turning lane about ready to turn right and I felt this "smash" on my rear, drivers side. At first I thought I'd run over boulder or something but then an alarm went off in my head, "NO SOMEONE JUST ****ING HIT ME!". Fortunately, he pulled over into a parking lot with me (I had jumped out of my car and was ready to try to take a pic of him with my phone).

The guy doesn't want to go through insurance, but I am not a collection agency. I reported to my insurance immediately - I should file a police report.

My insurance told me they'll pursue the other guy for the claim amount, plus my deductible and if they get it they'll reimburse me. Even if I don't recover the deductible, it's worth the $500 not to go through the hassle of setting up the repair, the rental car and trying to get my $ from the guy.

I think the other guy probably does have insurance and just didn't want to use it. Not my problem.

Glad to hear you are okay, lurch. And good for you not letting him pull the "Hey now, no need to get the insurance companies involved..." crap with you.

Even if the amount of damage will cost less than your deductible to fix you should still report it to your insurance Co. just in case the other party tries to stuff you. You can always cancel the claim later and not suffer any rate increases.

Rental car? Doesn't your insurer provide that?

Even if the amount of damage will cost less than your deductible to fix you should still report it to your insurance Co. just in case the other party tries to stuff you. You can always cancel the claim later and not suffer any rate increases.

Unfortunately, even an inquiry about a claim might give you a ding on your account. I learned the lesson the hard way.

Unfortunately, even an inquiry about a claim might give you a ding on your account.

Not in my experience. This has happened to me twice. I called my insurance Co. Explained that the other party had said they were going to pay out of pocket. My insurance just told me to call back within three days if they hadn't paid and let them know if I wanted them to proceed. Both times the other party paid within three days.

Not in my experience. This has happened to me twice. I called my insurance Co. Explained that the other party had said they were going to pay out of pocket. My insurance just told me to call back within three days if they hadn't paid and let them know if I wanted them to proceed. Both times the other party paid within three days.

This personally happened to me and I posted two articles that verify that your insurance rate may be impacted by an inquiry. Congratulations to you on not being impacted by your inquiries, you were one of the lucky ones.

I reported it to my insurance. I must not have explained it well in my OP.

Advise, report him to the cops. Anyone driving without insurance should be jailed.

Glad to hear you are okay, lurch. And good for you not letting him pull the "Hey now, no need to get the insurance companies involved..." crap with you.
He may still get his wish and be able to pay out of pocket. That's my insurance company's headache now, not mine - and since the accident wasn't my fault, I doubt it'll effect my premiums. I just need to cross my fingers my insurance co. can collect my deductible and reimburse me. They made it pretty clear I don't get my car back until my deducible is paid.

Advise, report him to the cops. Anyone driving without insurance should be jailed.
I think he has it - he just doesn't want his premiums to go up, thus, he's trying to pay me out of pocket. And again - for the price of my deductible, I'd just rather have my insurance co. take care of everything, pay my $500 (that I might get back) and have my car back. Plus - do you thin the guy will reimburse me for car rental like my insurance does? I doubt it!

Glad you're ok Lurch. I was hit by a driver who was probably impaired (was in a pub parking lot) years ago and he talked me into letting him pay for the damage. When I got the estimate he balked, saying it was too much. So I ended up going through insurance anyway and he was on the hook for the accident.

Never again will I agree to a private settlement.

Glad you're ok Lurch. I was hit by a driver who was probably impaired (was in a pub parking lot) years ago and he talked me into letting him pay for the damage. When I got the estimate he balked, saying it was too much. So I ended up going through insurance anyway and he was on the hook for the accident.

Never again will I agree to a private settlement.
Thanks, man. You're reinforcing my decision. Once he's out of my field of vision, I no longer have control over what that other driver does. If I don't get my deductible back I will report that guy to the police.

One time decades ago I agreed to waive off reporting to my insurance when a guy promised to pay me what the estimate for repairs was. The damage was about $1800. And then he weaseled out, and I had to report it do my insurance, but they would not waive the deductible because I had delayed in giving the information. So, I knocked on the guy's door one night asking him to pony up my deductible, and he told me F off.

Next I waited a reasonable amount of time (about 14 months), and then visited his home again on a rainy night when there was a hard rain-- and then proceeded to inflict a punitive amount of damage to his car which I felt would even the score. First I punctured all the tires (in the sidewall so they couldn't be patched), then broke all of his mirrors, windows, headlamps and tail lamps, and then dented every quarter panel, door, trunk, and the roof. It made me feel much better after that.

One time decades ago I agreed to waive off reporting to my insurance when a guy promised to pay me what the estimate for repairs was. The damage was about $1800. And then he weaseled out, and I had to report it do my insurance, but they would not waive the deductible because I had delayed in giving the information. So, I knocked on the guy's door one night asking him to pony up my deductible, and he told me F off.

Next I waited a reasonable amount of time (about 14 months), and then visited his home again on a rainy night when there was a hard rain-- and then proceeded to inflict a punitive amount of damage to his car which I felt would even the score. First I punctured all the tires (in the sidewall so they couldn't be patched), then broke all of his mirrors, windows, headlamps and tail lamps, and then dented every quarter panel, door, trunk, and the roof. It made me feel much better after that.

Court Jester, I am shocked. Shocked I say.

You oughtn't have done that. Shame.

I'm of the mind that when I tried to be honorable, and accept his word he would pay for the damages, and he shook my hand on it. That was a contract between two men. So, when he flaked out, and then had the nerve to tell me to F off on the deductible portion, which was a fraction of the cost of the damage he caused. I figured there was no choice but to make him own that "handshake deal" he made.

One way or another, I was going to get my pound of flesh. A deal is a deal. Your word is your bond.

I'm of the mind that when I tried to be honorable, and accept his word he would pay for the damages, and he shook my hand on it. That was a contract between two men. So, when he flaked out, and then had the nerve to tell me to F off on the deductible portion, which was a fraction of the cost of the damage he caused. I figured there was no choice but to make him own that "handshake deal" he made.

One way or another, I was going to get my pound of flesh. A deal is a deal. Your word is your bond.

I should have added an /s.

I was trying to affect Captain Louis Renault from Casablanca.

I wasn't exactly shocked. I was more...what's the phrase..."mildly astounded" (if you can be mildly astounded) in a "yep, that sounds about right" sort of way.
As our favorite forum RL cop would say "he done it, he knows he done it, he'll do it again".

I do have the guy's home address - assuming he hasn't moved since he got his license.

Update: Just had an interview with my insurance company. I told the investigator that I suspected the other driver had insurance and just lied. The investigator plugged in the guy's license plate and - sure enough - the guy's got Progressive.

Sorry, Charlie - I'm getting my deductible back for sure now - from the other guy's insurance company!

I do have the guy's home address - assuming he hasn't moved since he got his license.
Don't get mad, get even.

What is the old saying about revenge? A dish best served cold.

Don't get mad, get even.

What is the old saying about revenge? A dish best served cold.
I don't need revenge. I want to recover my deductible and not have my premiums increase. Since my investigator just assigned "fault" to the other driver, it looks like I'm getting everything I need.

Back
Top Bottom