• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Just Got Hit by an Uninsured Motorist

I don't need revenge. I want to recover my deductible and not have my premiums increase. Since my investigator just assigned "fault" to the other driver, it looks like I'm getting everything I need.
But the other asshole had no punishment for lying and created all these problems for you.

I'm big on accountability. I believe in punishing offenders-- one way or another. It is part of my social contract.

But the other asshole had no punishment for lying and created all these problems for you.

I'm big on accountability. I believe in punishing offenders-- one way or another. It is part of my social contract.
His punishment is that his premiums will increase. I'll have a shiny new car (on one side). I'm good! Also, I'm taking my loaner rental car on a road trip when I get it next week :) That way I'll avoid wear and tear on my personal vehicle 🏎️

It's a win win for me!

His punishment is that his premiums will increase. I'll have a shiny new car (on one side). I'm good! Also, I'm taking my loaner rental car on a road trip when I get it next week :) That way I'll avoid wear and tear on my personal vehicle 🏎️

It's a win win for me!

And a win for him too. He should have his insurance canceled, he should have his license suspended, he should pay other fines. Because NOTHING is happening to him for lying and not providing his insurance up front, than if he had just done that in the first place. He rolls the dice that neither you or your insurance will dig deeper, and after they did his "punishment" is actually just his original liability. No wonder so many people do hit and runs, no wonder all of our premiums are higher than they need to be. YOUR premium isn't going up, but it should be lower. And the reason it isn't is because of people like him. We ALL pay for him one way or the other.

Now.... since you have his address, not even a little bit of temptation to go to his house at night and pour brake fluid on his cars paint job, or spray weed killer on his lawn, or stuff dead fish in mailbox?

He got off easy LOL

And a win for him too. He should have his insurance canceled, he should have his license suspended, he should pay other fines. Because NOTHING is happening to him for lying and not providing his insurance up front, than if he had just done that in the first place. He rolls the dice that neither you or your insurance will dig deeper, and after they did his "punishment" is actually just his original liability. No wonder so many people do hit and runs, no wonder all of our premiums are higher than they need to be. YOUR premium isn't going up, but it should be lower. And the reason it isn't is because of people like him. We ALL pay for him one way or the other.

Now.... since you have his address, not even a little bit of temptation to go to his house at night and pour brake fluid on his cars paint job, or spray weed killer on his lawn, or stuff dead fish in mailbox?

He got off easy LOL
Dude, I'm not vandalizing anyone's car. I'm going to get my car back in a week and, in the meantime I'm going to take a road trip to Sacramento and Reno in my nice new rental while my personal car's being repaired. I'm a happy camper!

I'm of the mind that when I tried to be honorable, and accept his word he would pay for the damages, and he shook my hand on it. That was a contract between two men. So, when he flaked out, and then had the nerve to tell me to F off on the deductible portion, which was a fraction of the cost of the damage he caused. I figured there was no choice but to make him own that "handshake deal" he made.

One way or another, I was going to get my pound of flesh. A deal is a deal. Your word is your bond.
So you took it out on the innocent car and not the guilty one. That wasn't right.

So you took it out on the innocent car and not the guilty one. That wasn't right.
lex talionis - the law of retribution

Glad you're okay. Depending on the $ amount of the damage, sometimes it makes more financial sense for the at-fault party to pay the repair bill and not go through insurance.

I have paid cash-on-the-spot for an accident that was my fault. Once when a trailer I was towing hit a car to the side of it around a 2 left turn lanes turn. The other time backing up a 26 foot U-haul at 1/2 mph bumping into an old Honda Goldwing that had tucked up behind the bumper at a back roads stop sign. His bike fell over and the front fender broke off. I offered $500 cash, he took $1000. For the trailer hit I think I gave him $2000 on the spot cash. I carry a lot of cash for many reasons, mostly if I see a super good impulse buy deal. Cash talks. Promises walk.
The funny one was the other way quite some years ago. A very drunk fella in a new cherry red Dodge pickup truck
seriously rear ended my beat up big old Ford pickup with a huge aftermarket rear steel bumper. He hit it hard and the bumper of his truck when under mine - taking out the entire front end - lights, grill, both fenders, bumper, hood - everything from the doors forwards plus back into the radiator, trans cooler etc of his new truck - new car sticker still on the side window.
I couldn't really tell my truck had been hit other than some red paint on the bumper. I said my truck looks ok, does he want to call the police? He said his new truck didn't look that that bad and he figured he could get home with it and then fix it up himself. I saw a $10,000 body shop job, but it's his truck.. He didn't see it necessary to call the police. So I went on my way. With a new truck he likely had insurance. I wonder why he didn't want to call the police? lol

I was driving the speed limit in the right turning lane about ready to turn right and I felt this "smash" on my rear, drivers side. At first I thought I'd run over boulder or something but then an alarm went off in my head, "NO SOMEONE JUST ****ING HIT ME!". Fortunately, he pulled over into a parking lot with me (I had jumped out of my car and was ready to try to take a pic of him with my phone).

The guy doesn't want to go through insurance, but I am not a collection agency. I reported to my insurance immediately - I should file a police report.

My insurance told me they'll pursue the other guy for the claim amount, plus my deductible and if they get it they'll reimburse me. Even if I don't recover the deductible, it's worth the $500 not to go through the hassle of setting up the repair, the rental car and trying to get my $ from the guy.

I think the other guy probably does have insurance and just didn't want to use it. Not my problem.
im surprised that you still use insurance . jump with the team buddy,

One time decades ago I agreed to waive off reporting to my insurance when a guy promised to pay me what the estimate for repairs was. The damage was about $1800. And then he weaseled out, and I had to report it do my insurance, but they would not waive the deductible because I had delayed in giving the information. So, I knocked on the guy's door one night asking him to pony up my deductible, and he told me F off.

Next I waited a reasonable amount of time (about 14 months), and then visited his home again on a rainy night when there was a hard rain-- and then proceeded to inflict a punitive amount of damage to his car which I felt would even the score. First I punctured all the tires (in the sidewall so they couldn't be patched), then broke all of his mirrors, windows, headlamps and tail lamps, and then dented every quarter panel, door, trunk, and the roof. It made me feel much better after that.
14 months? I hope you were sure it was still that guy who lived there!

14 months? I hope you were sure it was still that guy who lived there!
100% certain as it was the offending vehicle that damaged my vehicle originally.

lex talionis (the law or retribution);)

100% certain as it was the offending vehicle that damaged my vehicle originally.

lex talionis (the law or retribution);)
Coulda been a movie plot otherwise.

Coulda been a movie plot otherwise.
I don't get mad, I get even. Lots of movies are based on that.

dw-bronson.jpg

Just as an FYI, you always want to max out your uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. If someone without means were to hit you and cause significant injuries, your uninsured/underinsured coverage will be all you are going to get for damages.

Back
Top Bottom