• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Juicing vegetables

Duodenal and other digestive ulcers are caused by excess acid that lingers too long and eats away at the lining, causing sores. The fact that the acid mixed with the tissue it burns creates a breeding ground for certain bacteria does not accurately implicate the bacteria as the cause of the ulcer, as these bacteria consuming the resultant mix merely suffer guilt by association.

As to juicing, an alternative is Juice Plus, the real deal of fruits and vegetables in capsules. It's cheaper, faster, easier, and nutritious.

Usually, the bacteria is already present, so it appears to be a combination of bacterial presence and acid production, but in most people who develop ulcers, h pylori is a factor. Other causes can be excessive NSAID intake or high alcohol intake (in addition to other irritants), but eradication of the bacteria causes healing in a good number of people with ulcer disease.

H. Pylori
It is believed that H. pylori's shape and characteristics cause the damage that leads to ulcers.
Because of their shape and the way they move, the bacteria can penetrate the stomach's protective mucous lining where they produce the enzyme urease, which generates substances that neutralize the stomach's acids. This weakens the stomach's protective mucus, makes the stomach cells more susceptible to the damaging effects of acid and pepsin, and leads to sores or ulcers in the stomach or duodenum (first part of the small intestine).
The bacteria can also attach to stomach cells, further weakening the stomach's defensive mechanisms and producing local inflammation. For reasons not completely understood, H. pylori can also stimulate the stomach to produce more acid.

I checked a few consumer reports and the pulp-y juice was the biggest complaint. Instead of making just straight juice, what I thought about doing is adding a fraction of iced tea and kinda making a fruity tea to take with me. Then the Snapple company can stop robbing me blind.

Omg, my husband loved the Snapple peach tea, and I'd love to have just a dime back for every bottle of it we bought over the years. :lol:

Omg, my husband loved the Snapple peach tea, and I'd love to have just a dime back for every bottle of it we bought over the years. :lol:

Just juice a fresh peach and throw some tea in. That's what I'd do.

It also helps that I'm less than 2 hours from Georgia. Lots of roadside produce guys have Georgia peaches for sale when it's in season.

Just juice a fresh peach and throw some tea in. That's what I'd do.

It also helps that I'm less than 2 hours from Georgia. Lots of roadside produce guys have Georgia peaches for sale when it's in season.

Well, I would do that, but he's not here to drink it anymore.

Usually, the bacteria is already present, so it appears to be a combination of bacterial presence and acid production, but in most people who develop ulcers, h pylori is a factor. Other causes can be excessive NSAID intake or high alcohol intake (in addition to other irritants), but eradication of the bacteria causes healing in a good number of people with ulcer disease.

H. Pylori
The correlation between "worry" and hyperacidity has long been known.

Some people get headaches, others fatigue, .. and others hyperacidity.

Treatment for ulcers many years ago was to eat foods less likely to stimulate the acid (like baby food) .. later pro banthine and phenobarbital .. then Tagamet .. etc. .. .. all complete with high doses of topical antacid.

The purpose was to cut the production and presence of excess acid-pepsin, end erosion of stomach lining .. and that lead to successful healing.

In cases of ulcer where H. Pylori is present, the reduction in stomach acid caused by the above treatments prevented the H. Pylori-caused inflammation from worsening into acid-pepsin ulcerations. Eventually the immune system dispensed with the H. Pylori. Treatment was about six weeks.

Antibiotics to kill H. Pylori can also irritate the stomach .. regardless, hyperacidity treatments are also prescribed along with the antibiotics, so it's difficult to tell which is the chicken here and which is the egg, as both are being addressed simultaneously.

In cases of ulcer where H. Pylori is not present, the hyperacidity was sufficient in and of itself to eat away at the lining without help from the bacterium to create ulcerated sores.

Most every case of ulcers I've known was associated with a person I knew to be a "worrier", and in other cases I simply didn't know whether the person was a "worrier" or not.

If there is hyperacidity, there is irritation and, perhaps, a munching draw for H. Pylori.

For show and tell, I bought a head of cabbage today, and ran it through the juicer, just to give you guys a visual image. ;)

I have a juicer as well and usually just do spinach, carrots, and oranges, and I love the taste of it. Spinach is one of the best foods out there, but I don't think it's easy on the stomach. I had an upset stomach on and off for a few weeks and a doctor recommended the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) and the stomach issues cleared up within a day or two. Hope this helps. :)

Back
Top Bottom