• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

Actually, I gave you the references spelled out in constitutional law. You simply denied/ignored them.

Yes, a new Amendment would override the 14th. But you have to actually pass that Amendment first. As of now, the EPC of the 14th is being violated by bans on same sex couples getting married.

I am against judges making law from the bench no matter if they are right or wrong, that is where we differ.

Can you give me your sources on just who all these anonymous conservatives of which you speak are, and give some sources of them commonly pointing out what you say... anybody we might have all heard of, or followed... or just some that you "know of"?

Most true conservatives know our Constitution... so I would say you are playing a little fast and loose, perhaps anecdotal, perhaps totally made up? Sounds like total BS to me

I am against judges making law from the bench no matter if they are right or wrong, that is where we differ.

But who has made law from the bench? If your problem is with the initial Windsor ruling, your qualm lies with the U.S. Supreme Court. But every decision legalizing gay marriage flows steadily and logically from Windsor. From your perspective you should blame the Supreme Court, not the state courts deciding on the basis of Constitutional precedent following Windsor.

I think you have done very well here at showing how elitism is indeed a dirty word.

And I am for efficiency in our law, especially when it favors individual rights because individual rights are very important to a free and fair country/society, like ours is supposed to be.

And no laws are being "made" from the bench. Laws that violate the Constitution are being struck down and rendered unenforceable, as they should be.

I know, lets celebrate liberal activist judges overruling the will of the people. :roll:

It is a civil rights issue and the majority cannot decide on the rights of the minority.

I don't think you've understood my point at all.

Drive down through any town in West Virginia, or rural Kentucky, or even my own native southern Illinois. The cars are on blocks that eerily resemble the native's heads in those locations. There are three teeth for every four people. Do you really want this trash on your side?

I think you have done very well here at showing how elitism is indeed a dirty word.

Elitism is proper. We should engage in it more often. All men are create equal, but not all men perform at the else levels. To the most competent goes the spoils.

The Nazi's were efficient too.

Well, as you may of noticed, I have been getting an awful lot of posts which, I think you would admit, I have tried to get back with thought given on most of them...except the atrociously bad ones, and even then some... so I may have missed one or two, I have for instance, 21 notifications showing right now and its lunchtime and havent touched breakfast yet ... so might you link it, I will look at it and comment later.

If not, I will assume that you do not have references to the "protected classes" listed in the Constitution. If they are not actually listed in the Constitution by the way, that would make them not actually listed in the Constitution... but please, go ahead, drop them on me... I am always looking to learn something new.

What part of "constitutional law" and precedence are you not familiar with? Whether you agree that it should be there or not, does not matter. It exists, and is how our constitutional rights are protected to their fullest by the SCOTUS.

That's fine until you start putting a value on life based on elitism.

You mean like ethnic cleansing and acts of similar actions? Those are right out. You have to keep the stupid and incompetent around. World needs ditch diggers too.

No....women did not change...the laws giving them equality IN the marriage changed, changing marriage so that men cannot use them only as servants and breeders.

Marriage became an institution where both had equal rights....that was not the case before.

Marriage changed in a very substantial way....in many legal ways, since women now had rights to fight for custody, to be able to divorce, to confer inheritance, etc. And those are the kinds of things gays want...LEGAL rights within marriage.

LOLOLOL Nice try tho.

A Correction....

..................... The rulings since Windsor have been made by federal district courts, not state courts.

>>>>

The Nazi's were efficient too.

Kurt Eichenwald, son of Holocaust survivors, must have heard about you, sawyer.

What Does It Really Mean When Politicians and Pundits Cry “Nazi”? | Vanity Fair

Judges are not supposed to make law from the bench and that is exactly what they are doing here.

No. They are cancelling/rendering useless laws that violate the US Constitution. As they should. How else would they stop a law that said "no person within this state can own a gun, ever" or "no person within this state can talk bad about the US President or they face 20 years in prison"? Those laws can only be ruled violations of the Constitution by the Courts even if every person can see that they clearly violate the US Constitution.

Judges are not supposed to make law from the bench and that is exactly what they are doing here.

No but they are supposed to protect people's civil rights. And that's what they're doing....not letting the majority discriminate against a minority.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…