• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Jerry Falwell dies at 73

Re: Jerry Falwell dead at 73

ummmm....do you really not see a difference between this type of intolerance :

Jews are scum.

and this one

Racist people are scum.

?????:confused: :confused: ?????

Oh, I see.
-Some- forms of intolerance are OK, and some are not.
That's rather convenient, isn't it -- especially if you're the one that gets to decide?

Wow, I'm really hoping I never see you in any posts complaining about the lefts "moral equivalency" in the terms of wars, terrorism, interrogation/torture, and other such things.

I don't think all the bashing of the man the moment he's in the grave is right, because it basically is the same thing he'd be doing, but I don't blame people for doing it. I would say the same thing of Phelps, that if he died the thread shouldn't just turn into a "He's a f'ing lunatic, good riddance" fest (And for the record, I think he's worse than Falwell) but I wouldn't begrudge or think bad of anyone that actually decided to do it.

For another example...what if OBL was reported as dead? He tried to kill american's because he was intolerant of our culture...should we not say anything bad, let alone celebrate, on the day it comes out he's dead because we'd be no better than him?

"Beware here lies a tyrant and remember the bitch that spawned him is alive and is once again in heat."

It's alright now...

You can all come out now!!

Ding Dong the Wicked Witch is dead! :shock:

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=XOEq-ImGWJ0[/YOUTUBE]

You say potato, I say potahto.

Are you tolerant of David Duke and Fred Phelps?

You mean the democrat Phelps that voted for Al Gore?:rofl

Appaerntly, you dont see the hypocricy in being intolerant of someone becaue they, themselves are intolerant - its just a simple matter of the pot calling the kettle black.

And I havent expressed any stance whatsoever on tolerance, other than being intolerant of intolerance is, as noted above, hypocritical.

Intolerance, in some cases, is necessary- if someone deserves it.

Jews do not. There is something in America called religious choice, along with hate-speech laws. As a group, Jews have done nothing to provoke him- other than believing the wrong thing. With a flock the size of Falwell's, any sign of hate-speech or provocation must be quickly stopped. There may be hypocrisy and negativity involved in tolerating the intolerant, but in this case, negativity is being used in hopes of preventing further negativity, by not tolerating morons such as the aforementioned Falwell. I do not hate him now that he is dead, but I do hate the religious political system he created. However, I can wish no everlasting discomfort on the deceased- may he rest in moderate peace, assuming there is an afterlife, with those fanatics of other religions, in hopes of understanding and tolerance beyond the grave. Falwell's actions were negative, while the actions of most Jews he attacked were not.

Understand now?

You mean the democrat Phelps that voted for Al Gore?:rofl

What does that have to do with anything?

Since you decided to jump into a conversation that you were not previously a part of, I'll assume that you share M14's sentiments that being intolerant against the intolerant should not be tolerated. So are you tolerant toward David Duke and Fred Phelps? Is there any distinction between them and Falwell, aside from the degree to which they are willing to take their intolerance?

Or were you not actually interested in thinking, but merely interested in partisan shots and reflexively posting "Al Gore" every time you see the name "Fred Phelps"?

Didn't think so...

Too bad it weren't Rush Limbaugh instead, then, there would be cause for celebration!

I'm tempted to go into a Hunter S. Thompson eulogy of nixon style rant but I shall refrain. And I'm tempted to go into a jerry falwell style rant about how his death proves that you can't mock God without consequences. But again I shall refrain. He was, on the public level at least, indeed a hateful and terrible man. But I'm sure that he was loved by his family and many others, and so I wish them the best.

Jerry Falwell was a hatemonger and a thief who used the guise of religion to steal money and gain political power. I will not miss him.

No no. I have as much a right as being intolerant as he does. The difference is some types of intolerance(like hate for Jews) lead to worse things then mine does. I could be wrong though. Anybody here lived during 1939-1945?

I am not big fan of Fallwell, but as soon as I heard of his death this morning, I just KNEW the intolerant left-wingers out there would have fun with his death. Thank you for not disappointing me.

I don't know what World War II has to do with it. However, since you brought it up, the left is so intolerant of religion in general, it has lambasted one of the great HEROES of World War II simply due to an intolerance toward the Catholic faith. I find the intolerance here for Rev. Falwell to be akin to the bigotry and intolerance that keeps people from recognizing Pope Pius XII for the hero he was!

I am not big fan of Fallwell, but as soon as I heard of his death this morning, I just KNEW the intolerant left-wingers out there would have fun with his death. Thank you for not disappointing me.

And why SHOULDN'T we have fun with his death? I'm glad he's dead.

Good Riddance

I find the intolerance here for Rev. Falwell to be akin to the bigotry and intolerance that keeps people from recognizing Pope Pius XII for the hero he was!

What? Since when must we be tolerant of the intolerant? And bigotry? How in either case?

"I really believe that the Pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians, ... the ACLU, People For the American Way - all of them who have tried to secularize America - I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this [terrorist attack: 9/11] happen." - Jerry Falwell, 700 Club, Sept 13, 2001

"If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being."
-- Rev Jerry Falwell

"The idea that religion and politics don't mix was invented by the Devil to keep Christians from running their own country."
-- Rev Jerry Falwell

Last edited:
Re: Good Riddance

"I really believe that the Pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians, ... the ACLU, People For the American Way - all of them who have tried to secularize America - I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this [terrorist attack: 9/11] happen." - Jerry Falwell, 700 Club, Sept 13, 2001

"If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being."
-- Rev Jerry Falwell

"The idea that religion and politics don't mix was invented by the Devil to keep Christians from running their own country."
-- Rev Jerry Falwell

Yep, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I for one feel no obligation to speak nice of one who lived his life spreading hatred and divisiveness.

Not fun. Joy. That another bigot and racist has bit the dust.

I don't know what World War II has to do with it. However, since you brought it up, the left is so intolerant of religion in general, it has lambasted one of the great HEROES of World War II simply due to an intolerance toward the Catholic faith. I find the intolerance here for Rev. Falwell to be akin to the bigotry and intolerance that keeps people from recognizing Pope Pius XII for the hero he was!

Yawn. Who's even talked about the pope? Fallwell was an antisemite who conned thousands of christians and got rich. End of story.

Jerry Falwell dies at 73

More proof that the good die young.

Ah, well. May he rot in peace.

Damn I can't believe you left wing haters......Try and think of his family......I was no big fan of Falwell but he and his family will be in my prayers......May he rest in peace...........

I think his family is well aware of what a vicious and horrible man he was. This man does not deserve to rest in peace. With all the evil things he did in his life....there is no doubt that Jerry Fallwell will burn in hell.

Intolerance is intolerance.
Falwell isnt tolerant of people because they're gay, etc
You arent tolerant of Falwell because he's a bigot, etc
What's the difference?

Interesting that you would equate bigotry with gayness. Your slip is showing.

Here's a man with so much hatred and blood on his hands that tolerating him would be laughable. Think of all the gay children who have committed suicide because of his influence on their families.

Yes when a human dies it's a sad occasion , because we all only get one chance at life. However Falwell has forfeited any right to any respect or remorse, because he gave none to those he hated.

For those of you who love to play the "you are intolerant " card against those of us who take pride in tolerance, I say this. I am firmly intolerant of Jerry Falwell. I am intolerant of any who decide they have the right to dictate how others are to live.

Yes when a human dies it's a sad occasion , because we all only get one chance at life.

Even if Falwell was an all-around great guy, I don't see anything all that "sad' about dying instantly in your office at the age of 73.
I mean, what's the alternative?
Living to be 83, and then dying some protracted lingering death of cancer?

People, I figure, come with about a fifty year warranty.
Beyond that, we're all just living on borrowed time.
It's not sad to get old and die.

Why should I or anyone else be tolerant of intolerance? Why should I be tolerant of a gay basher or non Fallwell christian basher? Plz explain that one. Should I be tolerant of the nazi? or the white supremacist?

ludahai said:

Total bullshit, the left is not the least bit intolerant of religion, contraily it's the most tolerant of all religions. The right insist on a sectarian christian state where as the left insist on a secular state with zero bias for any religious belief for the freedom of all religions.

Why does the right insist there is a cultural war? Since when did being a traditionalist mean to be a gay bashing anti-science christian fundamentalist?

I think his family is well aware of what a vicious and horrible man he was. This man does not deserve to rest in peace. With all the evil things he did in his life....there is no doubt that Jerry Fallwell will burn in hell.

Pretty arrogant you are speaking for God, aren't you?

Why should I or anyone else be tolerant of intolerance? Why should I be tolerant of a gay basher or non Fallwell christian basher? Plz explain that one. Should I be tolerant of the nazi? or the white supremacist?

I am tolerant of people in the sense that they have the right to believe as they please. I don't have to agree with it. However, taking joy at the death of a person who was merely exercising his Constitutional rights without committing violent crimes like terrorists of the ilk of bin Laden is subhuman.

Total bullshit, the left is not the least bit intolerant of religion, contraily it's the most tolerant of all religions. The right insist on a sectarian christian state where as the left insist on a secular state with zero bias for any religious belief for the freedom of all religions.

A SEGMENT of the right wants more Christianity in the state. This is most certainly not ALL Christians. The Catholic Church has supported the notion of a reasonable separation between Church and politics for hundreds of years. I am conservative, but by no means do I want to see any religion CONTROL the state. There is nothing wrong with people of faith being involved in politics and government, as Fallwell was.

As for no liberal bias against religion, open your eyes. It is all around you. Please tell me then why the left can't bring itself to recognize the Catholic heroes who saved nearly ONE MILLION Jewish lived during the Holocaust? Liberals have been so busy tearing down the Church that they can't see the fact that it was the Church who built up Western Civilization in the first place.

Why does the right insist there is a cultural war? Since when did being a traditionalist mean to be a gay bashing anti-science christian fundamentalist?

Because there IS a culture war - a war between anti-religious athiestic zealots on the left and those who still believe Christian values have a place in America (and other places)

Back
Top Bottom