• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

January 6 rioter gets nearly four years in prison for assaulting police officer

HenryChinaski

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
64DB5E5E-EF0A-4324-ABA0-76140173B830.jpeg
An Ohio man was sentenced to 46 months in jail for assaulting a police officer with a dangerous weapon in a tunnel at the US Capitol on January 6.

During the Capitol riot, Devlyn Thompson helped move police shields up a line of rioters in the tunnel, attempted to throw a speaker at police officers -- which ended up hitting and injuring a fellow rioter -- and eventually hit a police officer in the hand with a metal baton, according to court documents.
Thompson, who spent nearly three hours on January 6 at the grounds of the Capitol, pleaded guilty earlier this year.
"The violence that happened that day was such a blatant disregard to the institutions of government," the judge said before handing down the sentence.
This guy looks like his family tree doesn't have any branches...Geeze.

Black man would probably get more, but at least he got something.

Colinford Marttis Urooj Rahman were allowed to plea bargain a life sentence down to 10 years after they fire bombed an NYPD vehicle.
Black people make up about 13% of the general population and nearly 40% of the prison population. But "he wouldn't have been arrested if he was black." :rolleyes: Try harder.

Black people make up about 13% of the general population and nearly 40% of the prison population. But "he wouldn't have been arrested if he was black." :rolleyes: Try harder.
Because they commit crimes at a higher rate. That's changing, because fewer blacks will be convicted.

Because they commit crimes at a higher rate. That's changing, because fewer blacks will be convicted.
Black people are going to commit crimes at a reduced rate because fewer will be convicted?

So you filter the shit that spews to your keyboard at all? Ya might want to review your arguments before you post them.

lol

Black man would probably get more, but at least he got something.
George Floyd held a gun to a pregnant woman's belly, while five of his buddies rob her home. He served 4 years for that crime.

I promise you I'm NOT trying to make excuses for the rioters--they are certainly getting what they deserve--but I can't help but wonder if "crowd psychology" came into play and caused them to do things they wouldn't have done had they been alone. I'm sure somebody here knows more about this than I do.

I might have told this story before, but a couple I know attended a football game between rival colleges. When the game was over and they were leaving the stadium to get to the parking lot, they got caught up in a crowd of people who were loudly chanting an obscene insult to the coach of the rival team. The couple weren't the kind of people to use that kind of language, but by the time they got to their car, they found themselves yelling right along with the crowd.

If some of the "peaceful demonstrators" got similarly caught up in the excitement of the rioters, I wonder if they fell into the same psychological whirlpool and found themselves doing what they wouldn't do otherwise. And I wonder if any of their lawyers have used that argument in their defense. I'm just asking.

George Floyd held a gun to a pregnant woman's belly, while five of his buddies rob her home. He served 4 years for that crime.
Did he take a plea down for that?

Sure are a lot of people that can't read, on this forum.
Maybe there's some folk who cannot compose an argument instead. Perhaps you should reread what you wrote and understand where you went wrong.

He did. What difference does it make?
State offered a plea. Perchance he should have served more, but that's on that particular prosecutor and isn't indicative of the overall statistics.

Maybe there's some folk who cannot compose an argument instead. Perhaps you should reread what you wrote and understand where you went wrong.
If there are fewer blacksconvicted, there will be fewer what? Fewer blacks in prison. And there you go.

If there are fewer blacksconvicted, there will be fewer what? Fewer blacks in prison. And there you go.
That doesn't mean there are fewer blacks committing crimes, which is what your dumb ass racist statement said.

Duh.

That doesn't mean there are fewer blacks committing crimes, which is what your dumb ass racist statement said.

Duh.
I never said fewer blacks would commit crimes. That's your erroneous belief that I did.

Should this guy have been shot when he assaulted a cop?
Nope. I think he got about what he deserved. You don't seem to be too upset about the crime he committed. Just the ones that black people, who you've indicated in your posts you dislike rather intensely, commit.

Should this guy have been shot when he assaulted a cop?
Personally?

I think the moment they tried to breach the capitol, they should have been mowed down in a professional manner.

It's my belief that if it had been an antifa/blm type group doing the crap they did...they would have been.

Back
Top Bottom