• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It just keeps getting worse...

I spent 30 years for one of the federal land management agencies in Fire management.

From personal experience, State Government would not do any better. Privatizing federal lands is not the answer.
Privatization is not needed. The federal government can manage fire fighting, but all logging and mining should be locally regulated and state and federal officials should have no power to block locally approved projects. Then forest service land can be subject to the local authorities where the land actually is and not governed by activists in big cities.

If legal logging were tripled, which it easily could be, many forest fire issues would disappear since there would be more church of older and deader trees

A good site for Wildfire articles is Wildfire Today. The link is to one of the articles regarding the Caldor Fire in California

What the US is experiencing in wildfires can partly be attributed to drought, low relative humidity, rising temps (Global Warming).
There are other factors not associated with Global Warming that is causing the large intense wildfires.
- heavy fuel loads
- overgrown forests and brush fields
- low fuel moisture due to drought
- high wind events during the fire increasing the rate of spread and spotting.

Adding to the complexity during the wildfire is the Wildland Urban Interface.
- building in fire dependent ecosystems.
- not following FIREWISE standards.

The problem of improving forest/range health will not happen overnight. it will take decades to get things back to a more manageable situation.
And in the case of California, PG&E's incompetence.

Privatization is not needed. The federal government can manage fire fighting, but all logging and mining should be locally regulated and state and federal officials should have no power to block locally approved projects. Then forest service land can be subject to the local authorities where the land actually is and not governed by activists in big cities.

If legal logging were tripled, which it easily could be, many forest fire issues would disappear since there would be more church of older and deader trees
Federal lands belong to all Americans.

Local communities have input into any land use plans and projects. Unless Congress repeals NEPA, the locals would be required to comply with NEPA. Some Environmental Impact Statements can cost millions and takes years to get through the process.

Not all forested areas can be logged. I don't disagree that some areas we need to get back to logging.

And in the case of California, PG&E's incompetence.

From what I have read , PG&E has been negligent in powerline right-a-way maintenance.

That said, let's not forget how many homeowners have done nothing to firewise their property and home. The practice has been out since 2002.
Many homeowners have done very little to nothing.

Federal lands belong to all Americans.

Local communities have input into any land use plans and projects. Unless Congress repeals NEPA, the locals would be required to comply with NEPA. Some Environmental Impact Statements can cost millions and takes years to get through the process.

Not all forested areas can be logged. I don't disagree that some areas we need to get back to logging.
1) this is a lie,

this lie is told by leftists to justify their strangling of rural communities depending on use of forest service lands in their original uses. Someone living in Manhattan should have zero input in forest policy in Oregon. This is a moralist argument which breaks down once you actually think about it.

2) not enough, they should be the primary drivers. People not living in the counties with the lands should not even be allowed to submit public comment.

3) most forested areas can be logged however, lumber is very valuable right now and Canada has no problem logging forests far more remote then this

1) this is a lie,

this lie is told by leftists to justify their strangling of rural communities depending on use of forest service lands in their original uses. Someone living in Manhattan should have zero input in forest policy in Oregon. This is a moralist argument which breaks down once you actually think about it.

2) not enough, they should be the primary drivers. People not living in the counties with the lands should not even be allowed to submit public comment.

3) most forested areas can be logged however, lumber is very valuable right now and Canada has no problem logging forests far more remote then this
sigh.
1. Nope. Read the history of federal lands.
I bet you support the likes of Bundy?

2. Please educate yourself on NEPA and land use planning. Most comments do come from at the local level.

3. Canada does not need to comply with NEPA.:giggle:

Have you ever worked for a federal land agency? Have you been involved in land use planning with federal agencies?

sigh.
1. Nope. Read the history of federal lands.
I bet you support the likes of Bundy?

2. Please educate yourself on NEPA and land use planning. Most comments do come from at the local level.

3. Canada does not need to comply with NEPA.:giggle:

Have you ever worked for a federal land agency? Have you been involved in land use planning with federal agencies?
1) I have, the forest service was not created to be the second national park service.

2) I don’t care whatever laws are in the way of my ideas, I am advocating changing the entire policy as it is corrupt.
3) this is not an argument.

1) I have, the forest service was not created to be the second national park service.

2) I don’t care whatever laws are in the way of my ideas, I am advocating changing the entire policy as it is corrupt.
3) this is not an argument.
1. FS is not close to being a second park service.

2. Go for it. I suspect you will have a long hard road ahead of you.

3. Neither was your comment about Canada logging.

"Every new day brings with it new evidence of climate change in Alaskan communities – warmer, record breaking temperatures have resulted in thawing permafrost, thinning sea ice, and increasing wildfires. "
There are a lot of moronic leftists working in government. I'll stick with NASA's definition of climate and rule your definition as uninformed, unintelligent, leftist gibberish.

Ahhh yes it is... how long you want to play this game??? ✌️
Well, I will at least giving you credit for identifying that it is WEATHER, and not the climate that causes wildfires (those not intentionally set, obviously). More than 90% of wildfires are started by lightning strikes. However, a change in the weather does not create wildfires, so you are still wrong, as usual.

This is when an education would have served you better than your leftist indoctrination.

As many of you know, northern CA. is battling catastrophic fires. There seems to be no end...
The latest news sounds absolutely devastating. 17,000 structures threatened? When does this madness end?

It's ominous looking...
th
I've been watch this fire and the Dixie Fire to the Northwest. Both are areas I like to explore and photograph.

I spent 30 years for one of the federal land management agencies in Fire management.

From personal experience, State Government would not do any better. Privatizing federal lands is not the answer.
State governments are already doing better. State governments at least allow their residents to collect deadwood on State lands, and that alone can help to mitigate the severity of wildfires. The federal government won't even do that, and then they come in and intentionally start these controlled burns and then stand around scratching their empty leftist heads wonder why they go horribly wrong.

Oh, don't worry, the forests are getting thinned. And trust me when I say that recalling Newsom isn't going to result in better managed national forests or more rain.
And your proof of this "forest thinning: is:

Wildfires don't count, by the way.

Well, I will at least giving you credit for identifying that it is WEATHER, and not the climate that causes wildfires (those not intentionally set, obviously). More than 90% of wildfires are started by lightning strikes. However, a change in the weather does not create wildfires, so you are still wrong, as usual.

This is when an education would have served you better than your leftist indoctrination.

Hate to break it to you but you are wrong with what is the major cause in wildfires is for the US. While the percentage between lightning and human caused fires changes from year to year and by geographic location, human causes more wildfires than lightning.

2020 Alaska fire season 171 Human caused fires 169 lightning.

Change in the weather does cause change in the fuel conditions and how a fire behaves once started,

This is when education would serve you better than just your opinion. I suggest you study on on wildfires.

State governments are already doing better. State governments at least allow their residents to collect deadwood on State lands, and that alone can help to mitigate the severity of wildfires. The federal government won't even do that, and then they come in and intentionally start these controlled burns and then stand around scratching their empty leftist heads wonder why they go horribly wrong.

That is great for your State.
In Arizona the State Forestry / Fire is underfunded. Has been for over 30 years.

Hate to break it to you but you are wrong with what is the major cause in wildfires is for the US. While the percentage between lightning and human caused fires changes from year to year and by geographic location, human causes more wildfires than lightning.

2020 Alaska fire season 171 Human caused fires 169 lightning.
That is very interesting indeed. Apparently humans are responsible for more fires in National Forests exclusively, and lightning is the primary cause everywhere else. I wonder why that is?

Change in the weather does cause change in the fuel conditions and how a fire behaves once started,

This is when education would serve you better than just your opinion. I suggest you study on on wildfires.
As I said, weather is the culprit behind wildfires, not climate. You are able to comprehend the difference between the two I hope. Climate change has absolutely nothing to do with wildfires, but weather does.

From what I have read , PG&E has been negligent in powerline right-a-way maintenance.

That said, let's not forget how many homeowners have done nothing to firewise their property and home. The practice has been out since 2002.
Many homeowners have done very little to nothing.

If one lives in a moderately high fire zone, like I do, one has to comply, brush clear, or lose their fire insurance; usually a 200 foot perimeter around one's home or structure.
Current regulations state that landowners have to clear brush for 100 feet around structure or be cited.

Last edited:
That is very interesting indeed. Apparently humans are responsible for more fires in National Forests exclusively, and lightning is the primary cause everywhere else. I wonder why that is?

As I said, weather is the culprit behind wildfires, not climate. You are able to comprehend the difference between the two I hope. Climate change has absolutely nothing to do with wildfires, but weather does.

I agree. weather is one of the driving forces on what a wildfire will do. Thought I made that clear.

This sums up weather / climate well
Weather is short term conditions, Climate is the average of daily weather over a long duration of time.

So yes, weather is one of the factors on how a wildfire will behave.
Weather is what exists now. Climate being an average of weather parameters of a long period time is just a statistical way to present weather.

Let me ask you this. If the daily 1300 hour temperature is slightly higher each year and the 1300 hour relative humidity is lower each year for a period of 20 years: - will that have an impact on how easy a wildfire can ignite and how it will behave once started?

If one lives in a moderately high fire zone, like I do, one has to comply,, brush clear, or lose their fire insurance; usually a 200 foot perimeter around one's home or structure.
Current regulations state that landowners have to clear brush for 100 feet around structure or be cited.
makes it harder for intruders to sneak up to your house as well!

If one lives in a moderately high fire zone, like I do, one has to comply,, brush clear, or lose their fire insurance; usually a 200 foot perimeter around one's home or structure.
Not everywhere has that type of regulations in place. It will be a big help when insurance companies start requiring firewise standards in high risk areas.

A few months ago I drove up 395 to Lake Tahoe and 50 over to the Sacramento area. There were numerous areas where homes / buildings have not followed firewise standards.

As a retired Fire Management Officer, I will thank you for what you have done to help out the current wildland firefighters. Making your place more defendable helps out a great deal.

makes it harder for intruders to sneak up to your house as well!

It does!
If they get passed the black widows, and fire ants when crawling up the dirt hills, they're going to have to face Lily, my killer cat... ;)

Not everywhere has that type of regulations in place. It will be a big help when insurance companies start requiring firewise standards in high risk areas.

A few months ago I drove up 395 to Lake Tahoe and 50 over to the Sacramento area. There were numerous areas where homes / buildings have not followed firewise standards.

As a retired Fire Management Officer, I will thank you for what you have done to help out the current wildland firefighters. Making your place more defendable helps out a great deal.

CA. does in SRAs; state responsibility areas. https://www.readyforwildfire.org/mo...firefighters safe while they defend your home.

Enforcement of this law is another story, and we can thank Newsom and local state governments for not doing more to cite owners.

I agree. weather is one of the driving forces on what a wildfire will do. Thought I made that clear.
You are the only one who has. Everyone else has been running around like Chicken Little, screaming "Climate Change, Climate Change!" as if the entire world was on fire.

This sums up weather / climate well
Weather is short term conditions, Climate is the average of daily weather over a long duration of time.
Typically 30-years or longer, with regard to climate. I posted a NASA reference earlier, but it amounts to the same information.

Let me ask you this. If the daily 1300 hour temperature is slightly higher each year and the 1300 hour relative humidity is lower each year for a period of 20 years: - will that have an impact on how easy a wildfire can ignite and how it will behave once started?
Because you are only taking a snapshot of time (1300 hours in this case) and you say nothing about the climate during any other period of time, the obvious answer has to be "no." Cherry picking data from a specific time period does not make wildfires more frequent.

Back
Top Bottom