• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Israel asks US to let spy attend father's funeral

The sentence was largely based on the recommendations of Weinberger, due to the extent of his spying and the damage it caused. Clearly in such causes it's rather difficult to call something "unfair", or special, when many of the facts in the case need to be maintained as state secrets.

So you believe that the USSR never had a spy who have done alot more damage? sounds very unlikely.

why should a guy, who sold a closet full of state secrets, garner any special treatment? Who knows the danger he put people in, due to his betrayal of trust

Sold? Are you demonizing?

Everybody spies on everybody else, friend or foe. The UK spies on us, the Japanese and Koreans spy on us, most multi-national corporations hiding under the American flag sell secrets, technology and everything else to Red China, American politicians sell votes to any country with the bucks to offer. Reagan and his bitch Oliver North committed treason, smuggled weapons to a hostile government who committed an act of war on us, and then smuggled drugs into the U.S.. They both should have died in prison or been shot, yet they're revered as 'heroes'.

So, let the guy go to his father's funeral, and commute the rest of his sentence as well. It serves no purpose, it's certainly not a deterrent to anybody else, given all the corruption ruining this country anyway.

Ollie is a hero. Anyway, does anyone give any credence to the position: "the country sucks so we might as well do anything"?

Lacking any specific evidence, I say we let 'em go. If he did get people killed, then the judge knows this and can decide. I'm wondering, though... was his father allowed to come visit him in prison? I think that is generally allowed.

So you believe that the USSR never had a spy who have done alot more damage? sounds very unlikely.

How many russian spies handed off a closet full of material, and why would Weinberger make such a claim?

Sold? Are you demonizing?

do you not understand the definition of sold?

Lacking any specific evidence, I say we let 'em go. If he did get people killed, then the judge knows this and can decide. I'm wondering, though... was his father allowed to come visit him in prison? I think that is generally allowed.

A judge did decide his sentence, champ. In fact, the judge over ruled his plea bargain, based on the evidence detailed by Weinberger

Everybody spies on everybody else, friend or foe. The UK spies on us, the Japanese and Koreans spy on us, most multi-national corporations hiding under the American flag sell secrets, technology and everything else to Red China, American politicians sell votes to any country with the bucks to offer. Reagan and his bitch Oliver North committed treason, smuggled weapons to a hostile government who committed an act of war on us, and then smuggled drugs into the U.S.. They both should have died in prison or been shot, yet they're revered as 'heroes'.

So, let the guy go to his father's funeral, and commute the rest of his sentence as well. It serves no purpose, it's certainly not a deterrent to anybody else, given all the corruption ruining this country anyway.

I don't really give a toss what "everybody else" does. You do the crime and get caught, you do the time. End of.

Let's not forget those claims are all utter nonsense, and no proof at all exists for them, except of course in the wilds of the Neo-Nazi propaganda mills and assorted right wing nut farms.

Get a grip.

Baseless accusations of anti Semitism just debase the accusation until it becomes meaningless and loses all impact.

This leads to identification of real anti Semitism being ignored because the canard has been thrown about so freely that nobody believes in it any more.

Get a grip.

Baseless accusations of anti Semitism just debase the accusation until it becomes meaningless and loses all impact.

This leads to identification of real anti Semitism being ignored because the canard has been thrown about so freely that nobody believes in it any more.

hear! hear!

btw, I have no problem with people convicted of non-violent crimes, of being given a court supervised day to go to their paren'ts, child's, or sibling's funeral.

How many russian spies handed off a closet full of material, and why would Weinberger make such a claim?

I think you are being naive, I'm pretty sure both the US and the USSR had much better spies than Polard in the cold war, but perhaps I've just seen too many movies :p

I think you are being naive, I'm pretty sure both the US and the USSR had much better spies than Polard in the cold war, but perhaps I've just seen too many movies :p

due to his position Pollard was able to basically deliver intelligence made to order. Literally being able to hand over anything the Israelis wanted

Last edited:
On visit to Washington, Peres to present Obama with signed petition for Jonathan Pollard's release

Israel President Shimon Peres began on Monday a four day visit in Washington during which he will be awarded the Medal of Freedom by U.S. President Barack Obama and meet administration officials.

Equipped with a signed petition calling for the release of Israeli convicted spy Jonathan Pollard, Peres said the matter will be discussed with Obama in private.

On visit to Washington, Peres to present Obama with signed petition for Jonathan Pollard's release - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

He wins a medal of freedom, for freeing a person who was spying and stealing sensitive documents from the U.S.:shock:

On visit to Washington, Peres to present Obama with signed petition for Jonathan Pollard's release

Israel President Shimon Peres began on Monday a four day visit in Washington during which he will be awarded the Medal of Freedom by U.S. President Barack Obama and meet administration officials.

Equipped with a signed petition calling for the release of Israeli convicted spy Jonathan Pollard, Peres said the matter will be discussed with Obama in private.

On visit to Washington, Peres to present Obama with signed petition for Jonathan Pollard's release - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

He wins a medal of freedom, for freeing a person who was spying and stealing sensitive documents from the U.S.:shock:

That isn't what he is receiving the award for. Also, Pollard hasn’t been released. It shouldn’t surprise people that Israel is pushing to have its spy released. Most countries, including the US, would do the same and have done the same.

That isn't what he is receiving the award for. Also, Pollard hasn’t been released. It shouldn’t surprise people that Israel is pushing to have its spy released. Most countries, including the US, would do the same and have done the same.
Israel jolly well ought to be lobbying for the release of its spy and IMHO the United States ought to pay no attention. Pollard is getting what he deserved.

Israel jolly well ought to be lobbying for the release of its spy and IMHO the United States ought to pay no attention. Pollard is getting what he deserved.

What do our spies deserve?

Yep. Does he deserve it?
From whose standpoint, ours or Pakistan's? I think there was a damned good reason that his identity should have been protected.... from the Pakistanis!

Back
Top Bottom