• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Trump considering cuts to entitlement progams?

Medicaid is being cut but SS and Medicare are not.

As Trump would say, "WRONG!".
"ocial Security payroll taxes cover retirement, survivor benefits, and disability. People who find themselves permanently disabled and incapable of working at all — only about a third of applicants pass the vetting process, according to government statistics — can receive Social Security benefits. In 2016, that was about 8.8 million people, a decrease of 1.13% over the previous year. Children and spouses can potentially also become eligible, which can add close to 2 million additional people. In 2016, the total spent was $142.7 billion.
The cuts are supposed to produce total savings of $72 billion between 2018 and 2027 and are listed as a budget line item called "Reform disability programs." As NBC News reported, White House budget director Mick Mulvaney told reporters yesterday that Trump intended only to protect the retirement benefits part of Social Security, although he made no such distinction in the past." https://www.forbes.com/sites/eriksh...edicaid-breaking-major-promises/#4bb18b7d9b75

Allow me to ask you a question: Do you give money to homeless folks that you see on street corners? Or do you just assume that because they look like society "outcasts" that they would use the money for alcohol or cigarettes, and simply look the other way?

I don't because I know nothing about them. I'd rather give to charities who can vet the worthiness of recipients.

And again I'll ask, would you donate to a charity that distributes food and 15% of the recipients are obese?

Sure, I assume at least that many are on food stamps now - and I am generally for food stamps.

BTW - how do you know that of those 15%, many of them are not dieting? You do not.

You don't start to cut the budget deficit by depriving poor people of food. That is just silly.

So you're fine with your tax money going to enable the gluttonous to feed their self-destructive behavior?

As Trump would say, "WRONG!".
"ocial Security payroll taxes cover retirement, survivor benefits, and disability. People who find themselves permanently disabled and incapable of working at all —

only about a third of applicants pass the vetting process, according to government statistics — can receive Social Security benefits.

In 2016, that was about 8.8 million people, a decrease of 1.13% over the previous year. Children and spouses can potentially also become eligible, which can add close to 2 million additional people. In 2016, the total spent was $142.7 billion.
The cuts are supposed to produce total savings of $72 billion between 2018 and 2027 and are listed as a budget line item called "Reform disability programs." As NBC News reported, White House budget director Mick Mulvaney told reporters yesterday that Trump intended only to protect the retirement benefits part of Social Security, although he made no such distinction in the past." https://www.forbes.com/sites/eriksh...edicaid-breaking-major-promises/#4bb18b7d9b75

It sounds like you are complaining that people who are not entitled to get SS benefits are not allowed to have those benefits anyway.

That sort of generosity is what has created the budget deficit over the years

We spend a lot more than the other countries

So what?

Like the man said, the idea of the American military is to make the enemy die for his country while our boys live to fight another day.

When America goes into battle I want us to be so much better than the enemy that its a slaughter for them that they will never forget or want to repeat. But

Seems that by your analysis we never will have enough. You are right, they won't forget... no offense, but the do-what-we-say-or-will-kill-you attitude invites terror, justifies it in the minds of terrorists and creates sympathizes... The Taliban came from foreign occupation by the Russians, despite (or perhaps because of their attempts at modernization) The arrogance of our shock and awe invasion of Iraq created ISIS. Creating bases in Arabia during the Kuwait invasion inspired Osama. Our attempt to control Iran through installing the Shah didn't turn out well, tho the Brits bore more responsibility as I understand it. Our arrogant treatment of Cuba as practically our play-land colony for decades just because we could...

In the short run we win. How could we not? As Americans we tend to forget our history since we are involved with so many countries and up til recently knew little of the world. Those whose governments we've overthrown, who had death squads visited on them thanks to us, those we've invaded have longer memories. And history shows that the the Lilliputians tie up Gulliver from time to time.

Rome passed from the scene, the Spanish empire did as well Their empires crumbled because of their arrogance, their attempts to crush dissent with brutality.

Seems that by your analysis we never will have enough. You are right, they won't forget... no offense, but the do-what-we-say-or-will-kill-you attitude invites terror, justifies it in the minds of terrorists and creates sympathizes... The Taliban came from foreign occupation by the Russians, despite (or perhaps because of their attempts at modernization) The arrogance of our shock and awe invasion of Iraq created ISIS. Creating bases in Arabia during the Kuwait invasion inspired Osama. Our attempt to control Iran through installing the Shah didn't turn out well, tho the Brits bore more responsibility as I understand it. Our arrogant treatment of Cuba as practically our play-land colony for decades just because we could...

In the short run we win. How could we not? As Americans we tend to forget our history since we are involved with so many countries and up til recently knew little of the world. Those whose governments we've overthrown, who had death squads visited on them thanks to us, those we've invaded have longer memories. And history shows that the the Lilliputians tie up Gulliver from time to time.

Rome passed from the scene, the Spanish empire did as well Their empires crumbled because of their arrogance, their attempts to crush dissent with brutality.

The defense budget will never be big enough to suit me.

But the practical reality is that not even defense can be unlimited.

So I have to accept the best I can get

It sounds like you are complaining that people who are not entitled to get SS benefits are not allowed to have those benefits anyway.

That sort of generosity is what has created the budget deficit over the years

Does the proposed budget make cuts to Social Security? Yes or no?

Does the proposed budget make cuts to Social Security? Yes or no?

I cant be sure but I suspect the budget may cut ss supplimental which was never an earned entitlement

I cant be sure but I suspect the budget may cut ss supplimental which was never an earned entitlement

The answer is yes, yes it does. $72.5 billion over 10 years.

I don't consider that an entitlement but rather icing on the cake

You claimed Trumps budget proposal does not cut social security. That is false. It does cut social security.

You claimed Trumps budget proposal does not cut social security. That is false. It does cut social security.

Are going to make me go to bed without my supper because I con't consider SSS a member for the SS Trust Fund?

SS Supplimental is an add on bleeding heart liberal slush fund

Are going to make me go to bed without my supper because I con't consider SSS a member for the SS Trust Fund?

SS Supplimental is an add on bleeding heart liberal slush fund

It does not matter "what you consider" to be a part of social security or not. Social Security Disability Insurance is a part of Social Security.

It does not matter "what you consider" to be a part of social security or not. Social Security Disability Insurance is a part of Social Security.

It is an added on suppliment and was never part of the original social security pact enacted by FDR

It is an added on suppliment and was never part of the original social security pact enacted by FDR

And it does not matter when the program SSDI was created or not. Its still a part of social security...

And it does not matter when the program SSDI was created or not. Its still a part of social security...

It does matter.

SSI is an unearned welfare program that was added on when SS was in surplus

It does matter.
No. It does not. SSDI is a part of Social Security. Plain and simple. Does not matter if the legislation that created it was passed in 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1943, etc. Fact of the matter is that its a part of Social Security. Its like saying that the US Air Force is not a part of the US military because it was created in 1947.

We are talking about SSDI not SSI. Try to pay attention here and stay on track.

It does matter.

SSDI is also absolutely riddled with abuse. This is well known. Cutting it would be a good first step toward cleaning it up as the SS Administration would be forced to eliminate the fraudulent claims.

No. It does not. SSDI is a part of Social Security. Plain and simple. Does not matter if the legislation that created it was passed in 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1942, 1943, etc. Fact of the matter is that its a part of Social Security. Its like saying that the US Air Force is not a part of the US military because it was created in 1947.

We are talking about SSDI not SSI. Try to pay attention here and stay on track.

SSI is not an earned benefit

It is a welfare handout like medicaid

So it is not protected from budget cuts

SSI is not an earned benefit

It is a welfare handout like medicaid

So it is not protected from budget cuts

:doh We are talking about SSDI not SSI. Try to pay attention here and stay on track.

The cuts mentioned this morning were medicaid and food stamps

Oh, those entitlements. Food stamps especially should be cut to the point they are no longer a way of life.

Medicare and SS are bought and paid for contractual government obligations.

SSD is an unearned benefit - a welfare program that is earned

I stand corrected SSDI is an earned benefit

But only the rate of growth is being reduced

Back
Top Bottom