• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there a scenario in which you'd support committing American troops to a war in Ukraine?

If it didn't run the risk of nuclear war.

If Putin wantonly targets civilian populations, I'd say yes.
If Russian Troops cross the Ukraine border into NATO countries, then we go in and take down those troops.

If Putin wantonly targets civilian populations, I'd say yes.

Perhaps our government could covertly sponsor the creation of a "volunteer legion" like those the Russians seem fond of creating to over there to fight alongside the Ukrainians.

Putin is bluffing. He does not want nuclear war. Its still a world of MAD. There are still plenty of prostitutes Putin has not boinked yet.

Plus don't need to put boots on the ground to end Vlad's wet dream. PUT AN AIR CAP OVER THE COUNTRY....THE END OF VLAD'S WET DREAM.
So you gamble the world's population on putin being rational?

You realize theses elites have underground bunkers with 50 years of food storage. They dont have to risk death to play world dominater.

About the southwest, I used to live in the Mexican border city Mexicali. Mexican friends would joke that California “solo fue prestado a los estados unidos,” it was only loaned us. The other joke was,

Q. Name the three largest cities in Mexico.”
A. Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Los Angeles.
Oh, yes.

The liberal media devote most of their time devoted to the situation of that other ethnicity. (For example. the liberal media are waxing lyrical over the new Supreme Court Justice.)

But Hispanic people are really the future of this nation.

I live in Los Angeles ("The angels") where law enforcement departments are now mostly Hispanic. The City Council is also beginning to reflect this trend (the 15-member Council diplomatically gerrymandered the districts so that there will be at least one African American seat on the Council for 30 years). And, of course, when one calls a city department, one has the choice of speaking in English or Spanish.

The liberals are right; This nation is a-changing. And all Americans must adjust to these changes. Or as one Hispanic activist bluntly said some years back: If you do not like the changes [in California], leave!

IMO, American lives would have to be at risk before committing troops. And I agree with those here saying that even then only with a full declaration of war, i.e. Congress’s express written consent.

Oh, yes.

The liberal media devote most of their time devoted to the situation of that other ethnicity. (For example. the liberal media are waxing lyrical over the new Supreme Court Justice.)

But Hispanic people are really the future of this nation.

I live in Los Angeles ("The angels") where law enforcement departments are now mostly Hispanic. The City Council is also beginning to reflect this trend (the 15-member Council diplomatically gerrymandered the districts so that there will be at least one African American seat on the Council for 30 years). And, of course, when one calls a city department, one has the choice of speaking in English or Spanish.

The liberals are right; This nation is a-changing. And all Americans must adjust to these changes. Or as one Hispanic activist bluntly said some years back: If you do not like the changes [in California], leave!
The other joke I heard was a complaint that with the Hispanic population growing in California, "pretty soon they'll start changing our place names to Spanish."

On LA, it's full name is apparently "The Town of Our Lady of Angels of Porciuncula." Imagine the Dodgers trying to fit THAT on their shirts. It was apparently named after what was described as the beautiful river that flows through the area. As a northern Californian, I have to point out that the beautiful LA river is paved.

The other joke I heard was a complaint that with the Hispanic population growing in California, "pretty soon they'll start changing our place names to Spanish."
Something like that proverbial Congressman from Texas who supposedly bragged: "If English was good enough for Jesus, it is good enough for me!"

Something like that proverbial Congressman from Texas who supposedly bragged: "If English was good enough for Jesus, it is good enough for me!"
Poor Texans. Probably the only state to which we would attribute that quote.

jcgriff2 said:
Biden could give a damn about the borders of the US - why should we care about anyone else's borders?

Why doesn't Biden order all cruise ships, naval passenger ships, and all available airplanes to head for Ukraine immediately and evacuate ALL 44.13 million Ukrainians to the United States and give them permanent US residency?

Because Biden is RACIST - he does not want anything to do with white Europeans even though there will be millions of dead bodies very soon, per Biden.

Who can argue with that?
Exactly. 🙄

There were two options in my reply -
1. The hell with them all - the US pulled Europe, Asia and the rest of the world out of 2 world wars already within 20-25 years of each other last century. Now here we are again - at the dawn of World War 3 because Biden came off uber-weak and his minders continue to control questions and have had Biden fan the flames of war constantly, every day, for uber-weeks now. What the hell did anyone really expect given the person they elected president knowing his history of not doing a damn thing except being known as "Amtrack Joe" and arriving home for dinner early for ~46 years? He is a clock-watcher? (Know any of them at work?)

And where is Biden now? Rehobeth Beach, DE, most likely. I mean it's not like anything important is going on in the world. And it is a balmy 32°F. Perfect beach weather.

Biden wants a 'good war' to run into the midterms thinking that his star will then shine, the BBB will pass and dems will retain the House and pick up a seat in the Senate. Problem is that Biden does not have a star - never has and never will.

2. Ukrainians should have been offered asylum in the United States, even if it meant flying to TJ and walking north into San Diego County. At least they would be alive and well.

Americans are now more resolved than ever about November and the huge red wave. We will NEVER FORGET what Biden has done to us; nor will we EVER FORGIVE what Biden has done to us and to our Country. How can anyone forgive and forget such sickening stupidity?

BIDEN = 7.5% inflation rate...and climbing. Gas nearing $5.00 per gallon.

Under Trump -

1645936448003.png

$2.10/gallon for gas.

Those were the days.

Biden's minders have had Biden on the TV air practically every day saying that Russia will invade Ukraine for the last 4,5,6, weeks - who knows how many weeks now; I've lost count as I switch the TV off as soon as that jackass appears on it.

Anyone taking an interest in Putin over the years would know that he was stationed in the DDR (or GDR - East Germany) apparently as a KGB Lieutenant Colonel on the day that the Berlin Wall fell; others say that Putin was a full bird Colonel. Just one of those 'rank' things, I guess that Biden uses interchangeably.

The stellar response to Putin and the Crimea in 2014 told Putin all he needed to know about Biden's uber-weak response here. And Putin was right. Biden is definitely no 'war president'.

That was a governor of Texas. Ma Ferguson.

If Putin didn't have nukes, we'd already be there.

If Putin didn't have nukes, we'd already be there.
Actually I think this is more about not being able to build a coalition like we had for saving Kuwait from Saddam. That combined with having utterly screwed up Iraq2, and overstaying by miles in Afghanistan having turned a rational incursion into some ridiculous humanitarian nation building effort, the Syrian Quagmire, and the coup d'grace to coalition building, Putin lapdog Donald Trump, tailor made by Putin to pull apart our alliances and make coalition building damn near impossible.

Here we needed a coalition that could include NATO members but was not exclusive to NATO members. Anything seen as a direct US/Russia conflict would raise the specter of nuclear exchange which made a coalition a necessary feature of any real effort to aid Ukraine.

As it is now, we can continue to feed arms to Ukraine. We can likely put an air cap over Kyiv as we could simply challenge Russia assets to meet us in the air that we are simply trying to control against their reckless aggression and international crime. Good luck with that Russia...we would knock them out of the sky faster than they could blink.

There are some side benefits to the west in how this is working out. The heroic efforts of the Ukraine government, its military and its citizenry is the most compelling feature of this conflict. However, it has not gone unnoticed that Putin IS in fact an international pariah, madman and international criminal and that the Russian military sucks ass. The combination of Ukraine military and an armed citizenry is fighting off what should be far superior forces that just can't get it done. Think of it this way. How would it have looked if the Iraq military could have held us off the way Ukraine is holding off Russia. We would have looked horribly weak, like a paper tiger.

Truly on the bright side, no matter what happens, Putin loses in the long run. Putin can take territory in Ukraine but, he can't hold it. The Russian military is in fact a paper tiger. In addition, no matter how much trouble we have caused for ourselves here in the United States, no matter how utterly stupid and incomprehensibly transactional we have become, Ukraine is still fighting valiantly to be us and not Russia. Suck on that Tucker Carlson, Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin. Meanwhile Russians are taking to the streets in protest to this war even in the face of great threat to themselves for protesting. On the brighter side, Tucker and Donald and their gang look like real idiots.....the American Russia-cons lose big in this.

I agree that the United States, acting alone, intervening militarily on behalf of Ukrainian civilians would increase the potential for violence in general, and between the two nuclear powers to a much greater degree.

As it would be extremely unlikely that America would be the sole nation compelled to stop the wanton murders of non-combatant civilians by Russian troops, as OP’s scenario proposes, speculating on what might happen if America acted alone is a moot point.

Not the only way, but the best.

No one can predict with certainty what a cornered Putin would do. Until recently, I’d always considered Putin an intelligent, strategically minded, opportunist. Now, I’m beginning to think his mind is slipping.

Still, I personally don’t believe Putin would decide killing much of the world, including his own country would be a better option to withdrawing from Ukraine.
Well stated.

I do think, and hope, you're correct in saying that a desperate, defeated Putin wouldn't decide to go out in a blaze of "evil indignity" (rather than glory).

But I must admit that I'm not entirely sure about that. I really don't think the Putins and Trumps of the world care one bit about who/what is left when they are gone. I really don't.

But I must admit that I'm not entirely sure about that. I really don't think the Putins and Trumps of the world care one bit about who/what is left when they are gone. I really don't.
I agree. There are very few things that I’m entirely sure of.

A common trait among men and women with supersized egos is their supersized craving for approval/recognition in life, and for their legacies after.

Maybe I’m wrong about Putin. Hopefully, I’m not and consideration of his legacy will give him pause to reconsider how far he’s willing to go.

Back
Top Bottom