• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there a scenario in which you'd support committing American troops to a war in Ukraine?

Only if there is a genocide happening.

**** no.

The Euro's laid in bed with Putin with trade and energy knowing full well that he's a sick human being.

Let the sons and daughters of Europe die for their bad decisions.............and not a single American.

All good points. It’s worth keeping in mind though, that any UN member country retains the right to act on it’s own authority.
Yes, of course.

But I think that would be a disastrous move for any single country to take.

A bilateral conventional/ground war between any 2 nuclear powers.....in a dispute over a 3rd country.....is a recipe for catastrophe, seems to me. And no non-nuclear country would ever consider going to war against Russia in defense of another country.

The only way to take on a rogue nuclear nation like Russia (or N. Korea) is via a worldwide effort.

In reality, with only about 500K trained military, Russia is totally unequipped to take on the US in a conventional war. They know that. But if we're directly involved (militarily) when Putin begins to lose (and he's going to lose....I think he's made a catastrophic blunder this time), I think he just might use nukes as a last act of desperation (i.e. when he knows he's a dead man, and doesn't care about what the world looks like after he's gone).

No. But I would sic the k-pop Tik Tokkers on putin.

Absolutely not. There is too much of a chance for uncontrolled escalation.

Yes, of course.

But I think that would be a disastrous move for any single country to take.

A bilateral conventional/ground war between any 2 nuclear powers.....in a dispute over a 3rd country.....is a recipe for catastrophe, seems to me. And no non-nuclear country would ever consider going to war against Russia in defense of another country.
I agree that the United States, acting alone, intervening militarily on behalf of Ukrainian civilians would increase the potential for violence in general, and between the two nuclear powers to a much greater degree.

As it would be extremely unlikely that America would be the sole nation compelled to stop the wanton murders of non-combatant civilians by Russian troops, as OP’s scenario proposes, speculating on what might happen if America acted alone is a moot point.
The only way to take on a rogue nuclear nation like Russia (or N. Korea) is via a worldwide effort.
Not the only way, but the best.
In reality, with only about 500K trained military, Russia is totally unequipped to take on the US in a conventional war. They know that. But if we're directly involved (militarily) when Putin begins to lose (and he's going to lose....I think he's made a catastrophic blunder this time), I think he just might use nukes as a last act of desperation (i.e. when he knows he's a dead man, and doesn't care about what the world looks like after he's gone).
No one can predict with certainty what a cornered Putin would do. Until recently, I’d always considered Putin an intelligent, strategically minded, opportunist. Now, I’m beginning to think his mind is slipping.

Still, I personally don’t believe Putin would decide killing much of the world, including his own country would be a better option to withdrawing from Ukraine.

Absolutely not.

Biden could give a damn about the borders of the US - why should we care about anyone else's borders?

Why doesn't Biden order all cruise ships, naval passenger ships, and all available airplanes to head for Ukraine immediately and evacuate ALL 44.13 million Ukrainians to the United States and give them permanent US residency?

Because Biden is RACIST - he does not want anything to do with white Europeans even though there will be millions of dead bodies very soon, per Biden.
Who can argue with that?

Why would anyone want a member of their family killed over this?

Of course, NOT.

In fact, I wish that the United States had not entered World War One. (And apparently there were a lot of Americans at that time who opposed getting involved.)

As far as World War Two is concerned, I can understand that this nation could not take Pearl Harbor lying down, but it could have simply wiped out, say, some parts of Tokyo and then say: "Don't attack us again." The Japanese would have gotten the word.

The only time for American boys to die in battle is if the mainland is attacked.

No doubt the Ukrainians are lovely people, but they are not worth the life of a single American boy, IMHO.
So you would be ok with another Pearl Harbor attack? How about Key West?

So you would be ok with another Pearl Harbor attack? How about Key West?
Not "OK" with any attack anywhere on the American mainland.

But neither am interested in any war that takes thousands of American lives.

If Russia nukes American city X, we nuke Russian city Y. It is a draw. No sense wiping out both countries.

Have a nice weekend!

Not "OK" with any attack anywhere on the American mainland.

But neither am interested in any war that takes thousands of American lives.

If Russia nukes American city X, we nuke Russian city Y. It is a draw. No sense wiping out both countries.

Have a nice weekend!
My sarcastic point was that your concern about your fellow citizens seems confined to residents of 48 states, perhaps including Alaska but seeming to exclude citizens of Hawaii.

God Damnit Biden. Get together a collation of European countries and the US and put a God Damn air cap over Ukraine. I cannot believe we are not doing this now. Is Europe balking? Why? They are the ones under direct threat from monster, pariah Putin. Is Biden not even trying to get it done?

As Ukraine continues to resist shithead Vlad our absence and European absence at least clearing Ukraine airspace is going to look more and more odd. I cannot even tell you how easy it would be for us to control Ukraine airspace and that would literally be the end of Vlad's Ukraine adventure...just like that.

I said it yesterday and I said again this morning and I am saying it now. Put a fugging air cap over the country!!!!

Nope. It's not worth nuclear war
Putin is bluffing. He does not want nuclear war. Its still a world of MAD. There are still plenty of prostitutes Putin has not boinked yet.

Plus don't need to put boots on the ground to end Vlad's wet dream. PUT AN AIR CAP OVER THE COUNTRY....THE END OF VLAD'S WET DREAM.

My sarcastic point was that your concern about your fellow citizens seems confined to residents of 48 states, perhaps including Alaska but seeming to exclude citizens of Hawaii.
Thank you for your "sarcastic point."

The United States of America consists of 50 states, which includes Hawaii (which was taken away from its Hawaiian rulers by American settlers).

Thank you for your "sarcastic point."

The United States of America consists of 50 states, which includes Hawaii (which was taken away from its Hawaiian rulers by American settlers).
Name a state that wasn’t

I do not support U.S. troops in Ukraine, we do not have a mutual defense treaty with them so unless this spills over Ukraine's border and into say Poland's, I don't think it's our place to intervene. We certainly don't have a moral leg to stand on after what we did to Iraq based on Colin Powell's lies. (That is not a 'right' or 'left' position - all but one brave member of Congress voted to authorize the Iraq invasion.)

If there were clear evidence of genocide in progress, I might soften my view on this. But, we'd have to get to that point first.

What I think we should be doing:
- bite the bullet and ramp up our natural gas generation and figure out how to supplant Russia in this regard. THAT would hurt Russia in the long run.
- use this to build on deeper mutual defense ties with Finland and Sweden
- use this to pull India away from Russia's orbit and closer to our own, even if that means upsetting their relatively irrelevant neighbor to the north whom we've traditionally supported.
- use this to further deepen ties across Southeast Asia who see exactly how China is enabling Russia

If Putin wantonly targets civilian populations, I'd say yes.
Not really. Maybe after Europe actually ****ing steps up and throws bodies at Russia, instead of being bitches and expecting the US to carry everything, maybe then. But only if they aren't able to push Russia back themselves and they start losing ground to Russia and get pushed back deeper into Europe.

Name a state that wasn’t
If you are saying that settlers "stole" the land from other groups, I guess you're right.

Well, some people are saying, for example, that Hispanic people are "reconquering" the Southwest peacefully (through immigration).

And, of course, many states were once owned by Native Americans.

If you are saying that settlers "stole" the land from other groups, I guess you're right.

Well, some people are saying, for example, that Hispanic people are "reconquering" the Southwest peacefully (through immigration).

About the southwest, I used to live in the Mexican border city Mexicali. Mexican friends would joke that California “solo fue prestado a los estados unidos,” it was only loaned us. The other joke was,

Q. Name the three largest cities in Mexico.”
A. Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Los Angeles.

If there weren't nukes involved, I could see considering providing more help to Ukraine.

If there weren't nukes involved, I could see considering providing more help to Ukraine.
You may not be old enough to know this but if nukes start to fly, the whole world IS OVER. Putin is bluffing.

Explosions and heavy gun fire in Kyiv at this moment. Heaven help them.

Make that ALL.

Back
Top Bottom