• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there a name for these kinds of songs?

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I love listening to music by I am not a musician or an expert in music. I can read music but have no understanding of music theory.

There are certain types of songs that really resonate with me that have a certain “feel” in common. I describe them as “haunting”. Is there something technical that they have in common that I am picking up on some level? Does it have something to do with their “scale”? Here are some examples from various styles of music styles for a sample set of comparison. I know I am opening myself up to some smart ass comments, but what do these songs have in common? Whatever it is, I like it.

Last edited:
I now what you are talking about there, Bob.
There is something to it.

Kinda like "film noir".

I can't listen to "Wish You Were Here" as bad things always happen to me soon after i hear it.
If it comes on the radio, I turn it off.

Alright, that is enough. Some people might describe it as a “sad song” feel but they aren’t all sad. Whatever it is, when these types of songs come always make me feel very “in the moment”. And this may just be me, but they have a somewhat psychedelic feel to them sometimes. But like one of those psychedelic trips where it is going fine but you can feel it might go dark and bad at any second.

Alright, that is enough. Some people might describe it as a “sad song” feel but they aren’t all sad. Whatever it is, when these types of songs come always make me feel very “in the moment”. And this may just be me, but they have a somewhat psychedelic feel to them sometimes. But like one of those psychedelic trips where it is going fine but you can feel it might go dark and bad at any second.

You should listen to Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte.
A deeply beautiful song with a dark psychotic message.

" ...and every night after he shall die,
yes, every night when he's gone,
the wind will sing to you this lullaby,
Sweet Charlotte was loved by John".

after she chopped of his hand and head with a hatchet.

Sweet

Last edited:

Sweet
Great flick! The follow-up to, "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?".

When Bette Davis was on top of the world ...

Great flick! The follow-up to, "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?".

When Bette Davis was on top of the world ...

Love that gal.

An Anecdote;
Ron Howard had to direct her once and he was a bit intimidated by it because she was a big star when he was just a boy.
Anyway, it all went well and after the scene, she came over to him, smacked him on the ass and said..." Good job, kid".

Love that gal.

How do you like your rat, Joan Crawford?
With or without mint sauce?
Even though the technology and film quality was not great during this era, there was some great stuff being done. The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and Rod Serling's Twilight Zone, come to mind. The Naked City (TV Series) wasn't bad, either.

Sweet

......and Joseph Cotten’s head rolling down the stairs.........!

Bob? Your post #2 songs are basically all suicide songs. Please seek help soon.

I love listening to music by I am not a musician or an expert in music. I can read music but have no understanding of music theory.

There are certain types of songs that really resonate with me that have a certain “feel” in common. I describe them as “haunting”. Is there something technical that they have in common that I am picking up on some level? Does it have something to do with their “scale”? Here are some examples from various styles of music styles for a sample set of comparison. I know I am opening myself up to some smart ass comments, but what do these songs have in common? Whatever it is, I like it.

I think I follow... they all are different and so affect me differently, its just so amazing that music has this power to change what is going on inside and rearrange it to more what IT wants to express...

And so glad you had that Pentatonix version of Hallelujah...makes my hairs on the back of my neck freeze tingle and I just have to watch them sing it so heartfelt. I found that song trying to supplement a post here about a year ago, loved this version, but forgot about it until now...thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd0_K0fqGVA

GOOD-BYE, LITTLE YELLOW BIRD (from "The Picture of Dorian Gray")Lyrics by Charles William Murphy - Music by William HargreavesAngela Lansbury and the MGM studio orchestra

The snow was very plentiful, And crumbs were very few
When a weather-beaten sparrow Through a mansion window flew.
Her eye fell on a golden cage;
A sweet love song she heard,
Sung by a pet canary there,
A handsome yellow bird.He said to her: "Miss Sparrow,I've been struck by Cupid's arrow.
Would you share my cage with me?"
She looked up at his castle,with its ribbon and its tassel,and in a plaintive tone said she:
"Good-bye, little yellow bird. I'd rather brave the cold
On a leafless tree
Than a prisoner be
In a cage of gold.
The spoiled and petted yellow bird Could scarce believe it true
That a common sparrow should refuse
A bird with blood so blue.
He told her the advantages
Of riches and of gold.She answered that her liberties
For gold could not be sold.
She said "I must be going."But he cried "No, no, its snowing,
And the wintry winds do blow.
Stay with me, my little dearie,
For without you 'twould be dreary.
"But she only sighed "Ah, no.""Good-bye, little yellow bird.I'd gladly mate with you -I love you, little yellow bird,
But I love my freedom, too.
So good-bye, little yellow bird.I'd rather brave the cold
n a leafless tree
Than a prisoner be
In a cage of gold."

I know what you are talking about....whatever "theme" the above music has, I like it....oddly enough, I have several of the songs you posted as favorites in my music library. :thumbs:

I am very partial to many instrumentals as well.

~snipped the vids for space~

I'm not any kind of music expert but, like you, I love listening to the stuff. I'll ask my son, the music expert (college degree, you know) about it later.

To me it's like this: Some musicians and composers seem to be able to resonate with everyone with a piece of music. Some songwriters, like poets, can do the same with lyrics. And sometimes, we get them both together. I guess the only way I can really label that is to just say, that's the good stuff.

Anyway, a couple more examples:

This comment says it all:

Survivrs
3 years ago
Now THIS is music!!! None of that autotuned **** that is so prevalent now. Cruise around, windows wide open on the Camaro with the radio blasting. Good times!!!

And, of course, this one...

This is one of my most favorite songs ever.
I first heard it at an English Pub in Houston...The Mucky Duck.
There was a local group playing there called WYNYNWYR (Wind and wire) that played it the very first time i heard it.
I have since grown to love and enjoy this version as the best.

Another aspect of this kind of music is how it is used by the performer. The good stuff makes for good performances.

Last edited:

There are certain types of songs that really resonate with me that have a certain “feel” in common. I describe them as “haunting”. Is there something technical that they have in common that I am picking up on some Ilevel? Does it have something to do with their “scale”? Here are some examples from various styles of music styles for a sample set of comparison.
I know I am opening myself up to some smart ass comments, but what do these songs have in common? Whatever it is, I like it.
somebody soliciting wise ass comments. you rang?!

the commonality i see is two-fold
1. no instrumentals
2. music one cannot dance to

you like it. that's all that really matters
keep listening and enjoying. there is plenty for everyone
music is to be shared like equal rights and love
equal-rights-not-pie.jpg

I found this guy who takes songs in “Major key” and does covers in “minor key”. They have a similar feel to what I am talking about so I wonder if I am just partial to songs in minor key?

Back
Top Bottom