• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the world better of as a result of U.S. influence?

JC Callender

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
From the Declaration of Independence until now, would you say the world in general is better or worse off as a result of our overall influence? And why?

Better? Yes, very much so.

But, America has done some ****ty and dumb things. It's important we man up to those mistakes and don't repeat either.

Our foreign policy still needs a lot of work. The hawkish hollering (lol, bomb Iran), the avoidable slip ups (arming Syrian rebels wtf), and military adventurism (Iraq was and is a disaster) need to stop.

The colossal advances in science, engineering, technology, industry, culture/pop culture (peerless in its spread and popularity), art, and beyond rank us highly in history alongside the other influential great civilizations (past and present) of Europe, Africa, and Asia. Not to mention, the great humanitarian feats are no joke and the unprecedented wealth -- though the distribution of the latter has taken a turn for the worst in the last three decades or so. There's far more good than there is bad, though the bad has its' own special stench when we claim to be a democratic beacon of hope. Not to say that we aren't that very thing, but we fall short at times.

Last edited:
From the Declaration of Independence until now, would you say the world in general is better or worse off as a result of our overall influence? And why?

I'd say this corner of the world could do with less 'look at me!' and 'tell me I'm a good boy!'.

I'd say this corner of the world could do with less 'look at me!' and 'tell me I'm a good boy!'.

I think we need MORE showboating! We need to make the UN recognize America Day as the first international holiday.

What day is America Day, you ask? Why, EVERY day is America Day! Freedom and diabetes for everyone!

I would say that up until about 1965 or so mankind and the world were made better by our actions.

Since then and especially in the last 15 years or so, very much the opposite. There is a reason Bush & Co were convicted in Malaysia in 2012 of war crimes. The same fate should befall Obama, however insignificant the results might be.

We're the little brother trying to act like the big brother...

...I would say yes, but we're quickly exhausting our welcome.

Enormously better. Thanks to the USA, the world is wealthier, healthier - and mostly free of totalitarian oppression. (Not to say that we did not do a lot of dumb and harmful things, but on the balance, America is the best thing that ever happened to the world).

Number of democracies is way up. From about 1 to about 90.

Wealth held by individuals is way up. Wealth created in the world is way up. Number of individuals living in relative prosperity is way up.

Europe is not speaking German from the Atlantic to Moscow.

Asia is not speaking Japanese from Siberia to Calcutta.

All in all, not so bad.

I would say that up until about 1965 or so mankind and the world were made better by our actions.

Since then and especially in the last 15 years or so, very much the opposite. There is a reason Bush & Co were convicted in Malaysia in 2012 of war crimes. The same fate should befall Obama, however insignificant the results might be.

Wow, Malaysia...that's pretty serious. I wonder what they thought of Saddam?

It strikes me as odd that people give individual countries credit for major accomplishments, when it's always individuals who are agents of invention. As an institution, the U.S. brought some much needed democratic reform to the world, which facilitated safe spaces for invention. That's why a lot of brilliant foreign inventors and scientists ended up in the U.S. over the past 150 years... they could practice their craft without fear of reprisals. But just because I was born American doesn't mean my accomplishments are American. Most inventors do things for all of humanity.

America's time is passing though. I know a lot of people say that in an apocalyptic way, but that's not what I mean. Before the 16th century, China was the major power. Then it shifted to British Empire. Then to the U.S. I think our glory days are over. We'll still be a major player but our original purpose is becoming redundant.

I hope I live to see the next thing, and I hope it's something good. I don't like seeing global power gradually shift back to the autocratic East, but it seems to be headed that way.

Malaysia.

I have no idea what Malaysia, either the government or the people, thought of Saddam. Why does it matter? Or, does it even matter?

The facts are that Bush & Co committed war crimes, and years later a trial was brought in accordance with international procedures, and the court found them guilty.

Makes it pretty easy to understand why Bush & Co would not allow the US to join the International Court, eh? :lamo

I have no idea what Malaysia, either the government or the people, thought of Saddam. Why does it matter? Or, does it even matter?

The facts are that Bush & Co committed war crimes, and years later a trial was brought in accordance with international procedures, and the court found them guilty.

Makes it pretty easy to understand why Bush & Co would not allow the US to join the International Court, eh? :lamo

Of course, Malaysia has a number of allegations of human rights violations swirling around them as well. So frankly i don't know why a country which, according to a 2008 Amnesty Interntional Report, has been arresting bloggers and curtailed the rights of free speech and religion, has to say.

It's like being convicted in absentia in, say, Russia. It doesn't mean anything, especially considering whose talking.

The defeat of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan makes amends for a number of missteps. I do not think Great Britain, the Soviet Union, and China could have done that without U.S. help.

The United States is probably the main reason that democratic governments are spreading throughout the world.

Back
Top Bottom