• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the stock market even going to finish positive on the year?

MrWonka

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Here we are ladies and a gentlemen...one full year from the implementation of Republican tax cuts under Trump that were supposed to produce one of the hottest economic years in U.S History, that were supposed to increase investments from millionaires and billionaires that would send the stock market soaring and creating jobs more jobs than we've ever seen before.

The results? Not so much. It's starting to look more and more like none of the major stock market indexes will finish out the year on a positive note. Not only are we not seeing record gains we're actually going to be lucky to not see losses. Job Growth has been fine, but up to this point in the year we saw the same or better job creation in 2013, 2014, and 2015 under President Obama following the elimination of the last round of Republican tax cuts for the rich all the while reducing our deficits instead of increasing them.

Even GDP growth is looking like the best case scenario would be for it to just barely squeak over the 3% mark for the year if projects hold up, but one bad fourth quarter can still easily put that in jeopardy. While President Obama didn't technically get a January to January mark above 3% he had a few different stretches of four consecutive quarters with 3% growth including a swing from -2.8% growth in his first year given to him by Bush to +2.5% the following year after his stimulus package had been implemented.

So is their anybody out there still delusionally clinging to the idea of Trickle Down Economics as a thing that works? Basically, every single solitary prediction made by conservatives about our economy for the year has been dead wrong. In some case, we've actually seen the exact opposite.

Now that the markets are looking to finish down on the year... Trump quit talking about his "success" with it.

Here we are ladies and a gentlemen...one full year from the implementation of Republican tax cuts under Trump that were supposed to produce one of the hottest economic years in U.S History, that were supposed to increase investments from millionaires and billionaires that would send the stock market soaring and creating jobs more jobs than we've ever seen before.

The results? Not so much. It's starting to look more and more like none of the major stock market indexes will finish out the year on a positive note. Not only are we not seeing record gains we're actually going to be lucky to not see losses. Job Growth has been fine, but up to this point in the year we saw the same or better job creation in 2013, 2014, and 2015 under President Obama following the elimination of the last round of Republican tax cuts for the rich all the while reducing our deficits instead of increasing them.

Even GDP growth is looking like the best case scenario would be for it to just barely squeak over the 3% mark for the year if projects hold up, but one bad fourth quarter can still easily put that in jeopardy. While President Obama didn't technically get a January to January mark above 3% he had a few different stretches of four consecutive quarters with 3% growth including a swing from -2.8% growth in his first year given to him by Bush to +2.5% the following year after his stimulus package had been implemented.

So is their anybody out there still delusionally clinging to the idea of Trickle Down Economics as a thing that works? Basically, every single solitary prediction made by conservatives about our economy for the year has been dead wrong. In some case, we've actually seen the exact opposite.

If you are all butt hurt over the performance of the stock market, you have no one to blame but the Wall Street hysterical Wall Street speculators, their computer programs and the Fed.

Unknown, the market has gone through some wild swings, so it's possible for it to pop back up before the end of the year. Though it's funny how much the Trumpeteer Cult had been lauding the economy and Wall Street and now have stopped talking about Wall Street.

If you are all butt hurt over the performance of the stock market, you have no one to blame but the Wall Street hysterical Wall Street speculators, their computer programs and the Fed.

Yet Trump and his supporters were bloviating about it when it was so called "up" :lamo

I love how when the Stock Market was up, it was "ALL DUE TO TRUMP, RAH RAH RAH" from his supporters, but now that it is a good possibility that it will down it's "you have no one to blame but the Wall Street hysterical Wall Street speculators, their computer programs and the Fed"

You guys are hilarious. :lamo

Unknown, the market has gone through some wild swings, so it's possible for it to pop back up before the end of the year. Though it's funny how much the Trumpeteer Cult had been lauding the economy and Wall Street and now have stopped talking about Wall Street.

The economy is the only thing the Trump supporters had to talk about. If it continues on a downward spiral, then they have nothing.

So, let's bring up the idea of the border wall so they'll have something else to talk about. When it doesn't get built, then that will be the fault of the Democrats, and, of course, the economic downturn will be due to illegal immigration.

Logic and fact has no part in that argument.

Yet Trump and his supporters were bloviating about it when it was so called "up" :lamo

I love how when the Stock Market was up, it was "ALL DUE TO TRUMP, RAH RAH RAH" from his supporters, but now that it is a good possibility that it will down it's "you have no one to blame but the Wall Street hysterical Wall Street speculators, their computer programs and the Fed"

You guys are hilarious. :lamo

I know you love your dishonest broad brush, but I've never placed much importance in the actions of Wall Street. In fact, I've constantly pointed out that, when it comes to actions, Trump doesn't give a rat's ass about Wall Street. He cares about Main Street. I agree with him.

So...you go ahead with your attempt to include me in with your notion of "trump supporters". It's a fail. I speak for myself.

The economy is the only thing the Trump supporters had to talk about. If it continues on a downward spiral, then they have nothing.

Wall Street is not "the economy"...at least, not anymore. Main Street is the economy.

I know you love your dishonest broad brush, but I've never placed much importance in the actions of Wall Street. In fact, I've constantly pointed out that, when it comes to actions, Trump doesn't give a rat's ass about Wall Street. He cares about Main Street. I agree with him.

So...you go ahead with your attempt to include me in with your notion of "trump supporters". It's a fail. I speak for myself.

Nope you talk just like every Trump supporter out there. I'll continue with my ACCURATE representation of "you guys". Thank you and don't have a good day.

The market is on pace to finish the year the lowest it has ever been since the 2008 crash...

I'm not but hurt. Virtually every prediction that this liberal made about the economy this year was accurate. I said the tax cuts wouldn't do ****, and even if they did the combination of the stupid trade war and the Fed raising interest rates would nullify it all. I said the tax cuts wouldn't pay for themselves and that we would end up running completely unnecessary deficits that did not benefit anyone who actually need it. Unlike pretty much every conservative in the house I was 100% correct.

Wall Street is not "the economy"...at least, not anymore. Main Street is the economy.

Yes, I remember that is exactly what liberals were trying to explain to people like yourself for eight years under Obama. Nice to see you agreeing with us finally.

Yes, I remember that is exactly what liberals were trying to explain to people like yourself for eight years under Obama. Nice to see you agreeing with us finally.

Under Obama, Wall Street is all ANYONE cared about. Don't try to rewrite history.

If main street is the economy, why not invest in it? Tax cuts to business have been proven to be a waste of money and don't create jobs. Investing in higher wages would multiply consumers and those wages would flow into the economy and back into businesses.

Under Obama, Wall Street is all ANYONE cared about. Don't try to rewrite history.

Ummm... nope that's you. The sluggish performance of the Stock Market was something Republicans tried to pin on Obama and then boasted about after Trump won. You're not going to get away with your revisionist history around here.

Ummm... nope that's you. The sluggish performance of the Stock Market was something Republicans tried to pin on Obama and then boasted about after Trump won. You're not going to get away with your revisionist history around here.

You prove my point.

Under Obama, all anyone cared about what Wall Street...even the Republicans.

If main street is the economy, why not invest in it? Tax cuts to business have been proven to be a waste of money and don't create jobs. Investing in higher wages would multiply consumers and those wages would flow into the economy and back into businesses.

You really should invest in some research.

Businesses ARE investing in Main Street...because of the tax cuts and regulation reform. Wages are increasing...something that didn't happen under Obama and before Obama. And yes...those increased wages and reduced taxes are flowing back into the economy and back into businesses.

You prove my point.

Under Obama, all anyone cared about what Wall Street...even the Republicans.

Nope. It was only the Republicans. They had to find excuses for why the over 70 months of consistent job growth was bad.

Businesses ARE investing in Main Street...because of the tax cuts and regulation reform. Wages are increasing...something that didn't happen under Obama and before Obama. And yes...those increased wages and reduced taxes are flowing back into the economy and back into businesses.

The economy is recovering from a recession. It has been for the past 7 years or so. Increased wages and inflation are a natural result of a recovering economy, and it did happen under Obama. Those increased wages aren't due to tax cuts and regulation reform, they're going up because there are fewer people in the work force. These increased wages are the reason for the economic upturn. Increasing those wages more would be even better for the economy up to a point. Tax cuts and regulation reform have very little impact on the economy and a tiny fraction of tax savings wind up in consumers' pockets. Responsibly raising the minimum wage ensures that every last cent goes into the pockets of consumers. Burdensome regulations and high tax brackets are irrelevant when demand is high, and consumers with spending money equals demand.

Not any more? Did it stop being the economy when Trump was elected?

No. It didn't stop then. It stopped after he took steps to bolster Main Street.

Those increased wages aren't due to tax cuts and regulation reform, they're going up because there are fewer people in the work force.

For example, you should look into employment numbers. They would show you that the above statement is nonsense.

For example, you should look into employment numbers. They would show you that the above statement is nonsense.

Unemployment is low because there are fewer people competing for jobs. That's how unemployment numbers work. There are more jobs available than there are people to fill them. This creates a situation where wages go up naturally. This is a good thing. This is also not caused by deregulation nor by tax relief. These things don't hurt job numbers, but they do not contribute to them. That makes them wasteful. Low wages DO hurt job numbers. Minimum wage increases that get money into the pockets of consumers DOES contribute to job numbers. If you can do both, (deregulation, tax relief, increase minimum wage) fantastic. If you can only do one, the obvious choice is to invest taxes in minimum wage increases and healthcare subsidies. These are fool-proof ways to improve an economy where the poor are multiplying.

Unemployment is low because there are fewer people competing for jobs. That's how unemployment numbers work. There are more jobs available than there are people to fill them. This creates a situation where wages go up naturally. This is a good thing. This is also not caused by deregulation nor by tax relief. These things don't hurt job numbers, but they do not contribute to them. That makes them wasteful. Low wages DO hurt job numbers. Minimum wage increases that get money into the pockets of consumers DOES contribute to job numbers. If you can do both, (deregulation, tax relief, increase minimum wage) fantastic. If you can only do one, the obvious choice is to invest taxes in minimum wage increases and healthcare subsidies. These are fool-proof ways to improve an economy where the poor are multiplying.

What do you think made more jobs available?

Ummm - trump has been taking ALL the credit when the stock market has gone up. And now he and his supporters - like you - are now saying that we should blame Wall Street and the Federal Reserve if it goes down?

Sorry mate. Can't have it both ways. trump is responsible for the stock market now. If it goes up - well good for him. If it goes down - STOP BLAMING OTHERS YOU BABY!!!

Back
Top Bottom