• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the stock market even going to finish positive on the year?

Here we are ladies and a gentlemen...one full year from the implementation of Republican tax cuts under Trump that were supposed to produce one of the hottest economic years in U.S History, that were supposed to increase investments from millionaires and billionaires that would send the stock market soaring and creating jobs more jobs than we've ever seen before.

The results? Not so much. It's starting to look more and more like none of the major stock market indexes will finish out the year on a positive note. Not only are we not seeing record gains we're actually going to be lucky to not see losses. Job Growth has been fine, but up to this point in the year we saw the same or better job creation in 2013, 2014, and 2015 under President Obama following the elimination of the last round of Republican tax cuts for the rich all the while reducing our deficits instead of increasing them.

Even GDP growth is looking like the best case scenario would be for it to just barely squeak over the 3% mark for the year if projects hold up, but one bad fourth quarter can still easily put that in jeopardy. While President Obama didn't technically get a January to January mark above 3% he had a few different stretches of four consecutive quarters with 3% growth including a swing from -2.8% growth in his first year given to him by Bush to +2.5% the following year after his stimulus package had been implemented.

So is their anybody out there still delusionally clinging to the idea of Trickle Down Economics as a thing that works? Basically, every single solitary prediction made by conservatives about our economy for the year has been dead wrong. In some case, we've actually seen the exact opposite.
Probably not, investors and economic decision makers are worried about San Fran Nan is going to try to do to Trump's successes. Just out of curiosity what was the DJIA the day Trump was elected just a little over two years ago?

Last edited:
So, now the stock market doesn't matter any more?

It matters to my 401k.....

Perhaps you should reconsider where you put your 401K money. Personally, I don't like my money being hostage to speculators and their algorithms.

Perhaps you should reconsider where you put your 401K money. Personally, I don't like my money being hostage to speculators and their algorithms.

Maybe I should. I'm not happy about it being subject to fluctuations caused by the Trump Administration either.

Maybe I should. I'm not happy about it being subject to fluctuations caused by the Trump Administration either.

Trump hasn't caused any fluctuations.

Back
Top Bottom