• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the LGBTQ movement increasing because of social trends?

Is it acceptable to teach kids that transgender people exist and they should be respected as people too? Yes it is.

Teaching kids LGBTQ respect and acceptance is not mutually exclusive with teaching math or any other subject. Yoi can even integrate it into subjects like English. You think the entire curriculum got replaced with your "LGBTQ ideology" you still need to explain?

When did schools teach that we should discriminate against anyone?

How do you know if you are transgender or LGBTQ when you are six years old?
Trust me, you know. I sure did, but had no idea what was going on in my mind with no supporting information. After 60-some years, I'm still convinced that a little information at a young age is in a child's best interest.

Is this how you have convinced yourself it happens? Being LGBTQ also is higher rates of abuse, discrimination, suicide and murder. Nobody chooses to be LGBT, it just is now is safer and more acceptable to be open about your sexuality than in the past, despite the knuckle draggers of the GOP who still see LGBT as targets for their bigotry.

Maybe you should just come out of the closet.

I'm very white, so how am I going to be penalized by LGBT equality?
Bingo, much of the time it turns out that those rallying against SS marriage and equality so hardcore are in the closet.

Overton Window, for the millionth time we didn't have trans kids growing up in the 1970s/1980s how hard is that for people to comprehend? This is a fade that the left indoctrinated kids onto.
They existed, just weren't visible and could not get the care they should have.

When did schools teach that we should discriminate against anyone?
It is important to teach them LGBTQ acceptance for the same reason you teach racial acceptance. And later it is an important part of sex education.

This wasn't taught in the 80s, 90s, or even from 2000-2015. This is a very brand new subject matter and these teachers emboldened by radical ideology are teaching concepts that even young adults weren't taught.

Now, these little kids are guinea pigs for extremist liberal movements.

I want to know how the previous curriculum wasn't already teaching about equality, tolerance, or acceptance?
This "extremist liberal movement" is just teaching kids to be respectful and accepting of peers who seem different from the norm. You're right that this wasn't taught or emphasized in past decades, and there were NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES for that lack. Generations of LGBTQ people have been bullied and ostracized by peers, rejected by their families, and abused in many ways. If you didn't notice this mistreatment, that just speaks to your oblivious privilege.

Young people (and many adults) treat "different" as "bad" unless taught otherwise. It's just human nature. The entire point of recent trends is to prevent mistreatment of current and future LGBTQ kids through education. No one is trying to "groom" kids into BEING LGBTQ.

Also, many grown adults cannot comprehend gender-neutral bathrooms or all these different gender identities.

What makes the LGBTQ community think it is appropriate or safe to expose this ideology to kids?

Gay people scare you?

If a 5 year old is being raised by two married men, that 5 year old shouldn't acknowledge that? Or his friends?

They aren't going back in the closet, much as you wish they would.

What kind of ****in idiot thinks it's "trendy" rather than "I'm less likely to be literally murdered for being open"

That's the thing though. Children are not taught sex education until they are teenagers. Should radical LGBTQ ideology be taught the kids 5-7 years old?
Only a right winger could think "gay people exist" is a radical concept.

Not saying it is a fetish however under the liberal ideology, you are almost penalized...... discriminated you can say if you are white.
White as **** thing to say.

Only a right winger could think "gay people exist" is a radical concept.
Those same people think "don't abuse gay people" is somehow sexualizing/grooming children...

This "extremist liberal movement" is just teaching kids to be respectful and accepting of peers who seem different from the norm. You're right that this wasn't taught or emphasized in past decades, and there were NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES for that lack. Generations of LGBTQ people have been bullied and ostracized by peers, rejected by their families, and abused in many ways. If you didn't notice this mistreatment, that just speaks to your oblivious privilege.

Young people (and many adults) treat "different" as "bad" unless taught otherwise. It's just human nature. The entire point of recent trends is to prevent mistreatment of current and future LGBTQ kids through education. No one is trying to "groom" kids into BEING LGBTQ.

???

Bullying has and will always exist.

That child would have a preliminary diagnosis from a pediatric psychologist or psychiatrist. It doesn't mean anything other then they way they dress or style their hair because HRT would not even be considered for 6-10 years. That would all be subject to change as they matured.

Did you miss out on a childhood of your correct gender instead of the one that was assigned to you when you were born?

Almost every single newborn child is obviously either male or female. There is almost never a need to "assign" a gender. And almost every human is either XX or XY, which can easily be determined by testing.

Styles of dressing, hair and jewelry are assigned by the culture. In previous eras, men had long hair and wore fancy colorful clothes.

Social roles and career preferences are partly assigned by the culture, and partly by the fact that female hormones make you more empathetic and nurturing, and male hormones make you more competitive and assertive.

There is no rational argument that can support the idea of having a male brain in a female body, or vice versa. Transgenderism is a myth.

Supposed transgenders are probably mostly homosexuals and cross-dressers. And some might be just depressed and confused and looking for a new identity.

Show us good scientific evidence that transgenderism is real.

If someone is not happy with their culturally assigned gender role now days, they are free to reject it. Yes, it's still easier to be heterosexual and dress and act like your biological sex. But that does not justify drastic medical interventions to "correct" a person's biological sex.

???

So what. It absolutely can be reduced through education. There is nothing wrong or controversial about trying to help a historically abused minority by promoting acceptance.

???

Yes, because we are a tribal animal and children naturally persecute any child who is different in any way. Not ALL children are bullies, of course, but many are. And MOST children are at least somewhat unkind to the ones who are different and strange. In any way.

Bullying will be eradicated when we stop being a tribal animal. In other words, never. And ironically the ultra liberals who are most concerned with protecting minorities are at the same time EXTREMELY tribal and intolerant.

Yes, because we are a tribal animal and children naturally persecute any child who is different in any way. Not ALL children are bullies, of course, but many are. And MOST children are at least somewhat unkind to the ones who are different and strange. In any way.

Bullying will be eradicated when we stop being a tribal animal. In other words, never. And ironically the ultra liberals who are most concerned with protecting minorities are at the same time EXTREMELY tribal and intolerant.
It is not an all-or-nothing situation. Yes, it is instinctual to fear the "other". But prejudice comes from ignorance, so education and exposure does reduce its impact. These problems will never be eliminated entirely, but they can be improved.

Bill Maher mentioned this on his show last month:

I definitely agree with Maher. There definitely seems to be an acceptance of wanting children who are confused or discovering who they are to identify themselves as LGBTQ even if they are not LGBTQ.

Schools have become a sort of grooming center for children to come out as LGBTQ. I think it is more than social trends. The LGBTQ movement it seems promotes Munchausen by proxy. Saying a child has a physical or mental illness when the person is not really sick.

I support equal rights for everyone, but the LGBTQ movement has become more radical and dangerous and must be investigated for putting the most vulnerable members of their community in danger.
It's messy diapers that's driving that bowel movement.

It is not an all-or-nothing situation. Yes, it is instinctual to fear the "other". But prejudice comes from ignorance, so education and exposure does reduce its impact. These problems will never be eliminated entirely, but they can be improved.

Maybe you're right, but I don't think so. The reasons for bullying can change, but bullying will continue. It's ironic that some of the worst and cruelest bullies now days are mobs of ultra liberal social justice warriors.

Could it be something in the water? Maybe fluoridation.

Maybe you're right, but I don't think so. The reasons for bullying can change, but bullying will continue. It's ironic that some of the worst and cruelest bullies now days are mobs of ultra liberal social justice warriors.
Do you really think that openly gay teens are bullied the same today as they were 30 years ago? I very much doubt it, and that is a positive change. The obvious reason for the improvement in their situation is the deliberate attempts to educate young people on LGBTQ issues. Instead of becoming bullies, kids learn that homosexuality is just not a big deal by the time they become teens.

Last edited:
Do you really think that openly gay teens are bullied the same today as they were 30 years ago? I very much doubt it, and that is a positive change. The obvious reason for the improvement in their situation is the deliberate attempts to educate young people on LGBTQ issues. Instead of becoming bullies, kids learn that homosexuality is just not a big deal by the time they become teens.

You missed the point of what I said. Bullying decreases for some things, and increases for other. There is more tolerance now for racial and gender minorities, but less tolerance for anyone who disagrees even slightly with prevailing progressive narratives.

You missed the point of what I said. Bullying decreases for some things, and increases for other. There is more tolerance now for racial and gender minorities, but less tolerance for anyone who disagrees even slightly with prevailing progressive narratives.
Do you even remember what school was like? The vast majority of teenagers don't care about politics AT ALL, and it has never been a significant reason for bullying. Further, half the country is heavily conservative, so in a huge number of districts they're going to outnumber liberals. Conservatives are not victims, and they're certainly not being bullied into suicide.

Even if conservatives were being bullied, it is absurd to pretend that bullying is some kind of zero-sum game. Reducing bullying of one minority does not cause an increase in bullying of another.

Bill Maher mentioned this on his show last month:

I definitely agree with Maher. There definitely seems to be an acceptance of wanting children who are confused or discovering who they are to identify themselves as LGBTQ even if they are not LGBTQ.

Schools have become a sort of grooming center for children to come out as LGBTQ. I think it is more than social trends. The LGBTQ movement it seems promotes Munchausen by proxy. Saying a child has a physical or mental illness when the person is not really sick.

I support equal rights for everyone, but the LGBTQ movement has become more radical and dangerous and must be investigated for putting the most vulnerable members of their community in danger.
It's more than scientifically documented that media trends influence people's behavior, so of course it can influence individuals into identifying as transgender despite the lack of any meaningful criteria for it. Anyone denying that is just denying science and reality for their own emotional reasons.

Overton Window, for the millionth time we didn't have trans kids growing up in the 1970s/1980s how hard is that for people to comprehend? This is a fade that the left indoctrinated kids onto.
Just because Fox news wasn't fearmongering about trans kids in the 70s/80s doesn't mean they didn't exist.

Is it your view that gender dysphoria doesn't exist?

Back
Top Bottom