• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is the lack of belief in a god a religon?

Do you consider atheism a religon?

• Yes, atheism follows a religous protocol

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ddoyle00

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
The Online Oxford English Dictionary states the following about atheism: Disbelief in, or denial of, the existence of a God. Also, Disregard of duty to God, godlessness.

This word originaly had Greek roots. If theism literally means 'belief in god' and 'a' literally means 'no', how did the phrase 'no belief in god' come to mean the same as 'belief in no god' or the 'denial of god's existence' not to mention the even more prejudicial term of godlessness

Even though some hard atheists make the claim that there isnt a god and are willing to defend this claim, a large number of people are atheists simply because they lack beliefs in god. These individuals are making a statement about the condition of their beliefs rather than a claim about the existence of god.

Now, religon is defined as:The service or worship of god, or the supernatural.

So, thats the question. An "atheist" is someone who has no belief in god and a is sometimes accused of servicing or worshipping a god or supernatural being.

"If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color." - Mark Schnitzius

In the unabridged religion is described as the belief in spirit and or the supernatural. THis holds no prejiduce to a deity. The terms spirit and/or supernatural neither directly relate to the belief in a deity.

Archon said:
In the unabridged religion is described as the belief in spirit and or the supernatural. THis holds no prejiduce to a deity. The terms spirit and/or supernatural neither directly relate to the belief in a deity.

Very good post archon. I actually agree with that.

SKILMATIC said:
Very good post archon. I actually agree with that.

Really? WHy? Offer me your insight on the subject. I am very interseted to understand the ramifications of your concurrence.

Archon said:
Really? WHy? Offer me your insight on the subject. I am very interseted to understand the ramifications of your concurrence.

Yeah really. And "why" is an interesting question. Now are you asking it in the form of understanding my ramifications of my conccurence to actually publicly profess that I agree with you, or is it because you want to understand the ramifications of my concurrence of why I beleive the supernatural(and/or atheism) is not the same as a religion and that terminologies dont directly assimilate into a deity?

O btw, since you are a dictionary I just wanted to let you know you spelt prejudice wrong. However, I am sure you knew that. :2wave:

Back
Top Bottom