• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the government really that intrusive?

Even if people die before a regulation occurs, the regulation is over an entire industry while a court decision is only over a specific instance or maybe a whole company. World of difference.

That is not true. Court cases can be about an entire industry, multiple companies or one company, just like government regulations. Just because most regulations are about an entire industry and most court decisions are about one company doesn't mean that either have that limit on them.

Those cameras helped catch the would be Times Square Bomber...

Some of the stuff you are complaining about isn't common stuff where I live... you probably know that though.

I am not required to sort my trash, and we can cut down trees whenever we want... We do it all the time, because there are a lot and they are hazardous and can fall on the house. We can also have bonfires, so we could burn our trash technically. I guess you can say we Amish country, but we aren't Amish. You'll see the horse and buggies around here, and Amish grocery stores. We're not in the city limits, so we can get away with all kinds of stuff and we don't pay many taxes.

As for the bird feathers... Hawks have special protection and are considered endangered, so those laws still apply here.

Not sure about the gun in your car...

There could be a lot less government in your life, but you have to live in the right place... Have you thought about moving? I don't foresee people in a well populated community removing all that government to be as lax as they are here. On the other hand, there is an urban eco village here and they are into rearranging community life, so maybe it can be done... but I don't think you can change your community... too much tradition in the way. You'd have to organize a new community or move...

I think the only appropriate answer then is to not impose your will on anyone.

But both sides are given the ability to impose their will on everybody through the government...

Nope. Freedom is the #1 priority. All others take a back seat.

:bs:

Then why did the right ask Muslims to disregard their freedom of religion and not worship? Freedom wasn't the number one priority then...

I have to remember the instant that I cross the state line into NC, I have to get my handgun out of the glovebox and lay it up on the dashboard in plain sight, if I want to stay legal in NC.

Gee, can't just hide it? Why would a real gun-totin US male wanna hide his gun anyway?

Wow! Very well said.

Government is necessary to protect the people from each other. From other government, from business and from other people. Its a sure thing that business won't do it.

No, that's not possible. More government does not equal more freedom...that's just not possilbe. The very nature of government is to restrict freedom.

:bs:

Then why did the right ask Muslims to disregard their freedom of religion and not worship? Freedom wasn't the number one priority then...

Never happened.

Really? You think I should have written a dissertation on what freedoms should be held by the people and what should be regulated? Do you really think I have the time to do that in an informal debate? That is an impossible standard for a forum such as this.

Without a clear definition of intrusion, this question cannot really be answered, As we see in this thread, intrusion seems to be matter of personal perception.

Oh, and here's the most common definition I found for intrusion:

An inappropriate or unwelcome addition.

Very subjective.

Last edited:
Government is necessary to protect the people from each other.
From other government, from business and from other people.
Its a sure thing that business won't do it.

The Government as we know it isn't protecting the people.
It is using the people to satisfied its own lust for power N' control over humanity.

If anything we the people need protection against the Government.

Quick question: Did you post this from a public library?

The Government as we know it isn't protecting the people.
It is using the people to satisfied its own lust for power N' control over humanity.

If anything we the people need protection against the Government.

You're signature is written incorrectly. There is no question mark after a directive statement.

Every response you've given is based on a level of inconvenience. It's simply not about that. Much much deeper.

You're signature is written incorrectly.
There is no question mark after a directive statement.

LMAO! Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Much appreciated.
But it's ok... I like writing incorrectly.

It's my way of sayin' I'm stupid. :golf

Right there with you. We have reached a point where "illegal" doesn't come anywhere being the same thing as "wrong."

20 years ago, commentators couldn't stop bitching about people who "got off" because of a technicality. Now, people's lives are being destroyed by technicalities and nobody wants to talk about it.

Why can't that exist? If I don't want to live in your society of regulations and laws then why would you force me to? I leave you to your own devices and you leave me to my own. What's the problem?

Even if people die before a regulation occurs, the regulation is over an entire industry while a court decision is only over a specific instance or maybe a whole company. World of difference.

This is all assuming that food safety is a problem without government regulation when it most assuredly is not.

But both sides are given the ability to impose their will on everybody through the government...

And I contest the fact that people have that ability. It's immoral and inefficient.

Wow! Very well said.

Government is necessary to protect the people from each other. From other government, from business and from other people. Its a sure thing that business won't do it.

Who protects us from government, then?

Who protects us from government, then?

Each branch of the government is a check upon the other.
Each level of government is a check upon the other.
The Constitution serves to check the power of government.
The political parties within each branch serve to check power within that branch.
People have power of such things as votes in elections to check that power of government.
People also have power in such mechanisms such as recall, referendum and initiative to check government power.

It's not a who, it's a what, and it's the same thing that protects us from being run over by private industry:

Vigilance.

What? What was the point of posting this?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…