• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the fat acceptance movement good for society?

Thoughts?

• Yes, it's good for society and isn't hurting young people.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • It's good and bad.

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • It's bad for society. We shouldn't teach young people to be happy with obesity.

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Other

Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would challenge this premise, as many children are brought up in single-parent households where the parent is unable to dedicate the time to teach and raise their children. When children aren't receiving the training from their parents, they will seek other options including friends, internet channels and learning the hard way.
Nope. Single parents are not loners devoid of resources.

Nobody is saying it is OK to be fat as a goal... they are saying that they are accepting who they are. Some people are naturally fat and they are tired of being ridiculed about it. You are missing the point completely.

People aren't "naturally" fat. Historically, very few people were fat. Look at pictures from the 1940's and 50's. Our modern low fat diet is the cause of obesity. The abundance of Omega 6 fats, seed oils, and processed foods have made modern people fat.

My siblings are all overweight. They eat the Standard American diet. Crammed with lots of seed oil. I'm 70 years old, and I eat a KETO diet and cook with lard or tallow. Only green vegetables. Some natural animal fat in my diet. Have done this for over 25 years now. 6ft and 180 lbs. No diabetes, no heart disease. haven't ever been in the hospital. Good blood work. The opposite for my siblings.

Fat isn't "natural". Not by a long shot. Unless there is an underlying medical reason; or you eat the Standard American diet. Either can be deadly.

Everything that this country is built upon is with the promotion of fatness in mind.

Look at the food

Portion size

People can't go down a block without having to get into their car

Parks sit empty while kids from coast to coast play their sports on
a couch.

Yet fat shaming is the last acceptable form of discrimination.

Pushing 50 I got me a nice tire that formed around the midriff and you know what I say to them youngin's at the gym? Don't worry about it, it's bought and paid for.

You be you, live your life, and make yourself better as you see yourself better.

**** everyone else.

The United States and other developed countries have obesity rates that are increasing at an alarming speed. Is fat acceptance teaching young people that it's okay to not control your eating habits? Is it teaching young people that it's okay to be undisciplined? We teach young people that it's bad to smoke because it's unhealthy and can hurt them. Is the same not true of obesity?

In my view respecting and loving yourself means taking care of your body and keeping it healthy. It means having disciplined behavior.

Don't worry about it, Chowdawg. As long as you are getting your share of nookie it's all good. On the other hand (maybe literally) if you've had to lower your standards then you might want to give up the deep-fried Twinkie burgers. That may be difficult for you but, be honest, your undercover lover may be cutting corners in your behalf as well.

Everything that this country is built upon is with the promotion of fatness in mind.

Look at the food

Portion size

People can't go down a block without having to get into their car

Parks sit empty while kids from coast to coast play their sports on
a couch.

Yet fat shaming is the last acceptable form of discrimination.

Pushing 50 I got me a nice tire that formed around the midriff and you know what I say to them youngin's at the gym? Don't worry about it, it's bought and paid for.

You be you, live your life, and make yourself better as you see yourself better.

**** everyone else.

Consumption based society with plentiful cheap convenient and sometimes empty but very tasty calories. No accident it's this way. We then sit in front of a screen playing games or watching the boob tube seeing ads for food along with diet and exercise programs and drugs that remedy the problems from years of a sedentary lifestyle and/or unhealthy diets.

Whole industries based on this cycle. We're being SOLD down the river one way or another.

Sucks how it works when you get older. Easier to gain weight and harder to lose. I'm overweight but it doesn't change my self image or worth, but it does for others. A good person is a good person regardless of weight.

Don't worry about it, Chowdawg. As long as you are getting your share of nookie it's all good. On the other hand (maybe literally) if you've had to lower your standards then you might want to give up the deep-fried Twinkie burgers. That may be difficult for you but, be honest, your undercover lover may be cutting corners in your behalf as well.

You're always so interesting and insightful.

People aren't "naturally" fat. Historically, very few people were fat. Look at pictures from the 1940's and 50's. Our modern low fat diet is the cause of obesity. The abundance of Omega 6 fats, seed oils, and processed foods have made modern people fat.

My siblings are all overweight. They eat the Standard American diet. Crammed with lots of seed oil. I'm 70 years old, and I eat a KETO diet and cook with lard or tallow. Only green vegetables. Some natural animal fat in my diet. Have done this for over 25 years now. 6ft and 180 lbs. No diabetes, no heart disease. haven't ever been in the hospital. Good blood work. The opposite for my siblings.

Fat isn't "natural". Not by a long shot. Unless there is an underlying medical reason; or you eat the Standard American diet. Either can be deadly.

Good to hear but I never said that "people" are naturally fat... but "some people" are.

Back in the day they would have died earlier and easier but they existed.

Where did I say that people never have conditions that make it difficult to lose weight?

Where did I say that you said that people never have conditions that make it difficult to lose weight?

Where did I say that you said that people never have conditions that make it difficult to lose weight?

What did I say there are none of? Obesity is not natural despite incredibly rare people that struggle to lose weight. Those people are extremely rare outliers that aren't worth considering in this conversation unless you're desperate for excuses. What an absurd and pointless observation.

Last edited:
What did I say there are none of? Obesity is not natural despite incredibly rare people that struggle to lose weight. Those people are extremely rare outliers that aren't worth considering in this conversation unless you're desperate for excuses. What an absurd and pointless observation.

People have high and low metabolisms... back in the day when everybody ate gruel there was no problem. As food has evolved and modern medicine is able to keep unhealthy people alive... more fat people live. Nobody (meaning nobody outside a fringe group) is saying that being fat is good. They are saying that fat people should not be insulted.

Call it fat shaming if you will, but how is fat shaming different than shaming people for using tobacco?

Call it fat shaming if you will, but how is fat shaming different than shaming people for using tobacco?

Your betters have decided that tobacco is bad, and that encouraging people to never learn to regulate their food intake and look after their health is a swell idea.

Makes me wonder what they want....and why....

People have high and low metabolisms... back in the day when everybody ate gruel there was no problem. As food has evolved and modern medicine is able to keep unhealthy people alive... more fat people live. Nobody (meaning nobody outside a fringe group) is saying that being fat is good. They are saying that fat people should not be insulted.

Complete nonsense. The obesity rate in Europe is nearly half what it is in the US. Are you saying they still eat gruel or that they don't have modern medicine?

Obesity is caused by one thing. Eating more calories than you are burning. A proper diet and more exercise is the cure. If you lack the intelligence or drive to keep yourself fit, you deserve any ridicule you receive.

It is so different that it is astounding that anybody would seriously ask that...

Good to hear but I never said that "people" are naturally fat... but "some people" are.

Back in the day they would have died earlier and easier but they existed.

Yes, if they had bad eating habits then even back in the day they died. But "fat" isn't a "natural" state. Even primitive people, if they are on their native diet, they don't usually get fat. It's when they change to a more modern diet they start having obesity problems.

WHO | Pacific islanders pay heavy price for abandoning traditional diet

https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/11940214/McCoy_2012.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Our modern dietary guidelines are what's making people fat. The Standard American Diet, as prescribed by the USDA, is responsible for our upsurge in Diabetes and Heart disease. Cooking with seed oils, like corn oil and soy oil, instead of olive oil, is a big part of the problem, because they are full of omega 6. Soy oil is in almost all bakery products, and almost every processed food.

That USDA food pyramid isn't based on sound science, it was developed by the food industry to sell products.

And Jillian Michaels is totally wrong. weight loss isn't just a matter of "calories in, calories out", and it doesn't matter where those calories come from. It actually matters a great deal. All calories are not "equal". I eat way more than the normal amount of calories; but I eat the right kind of calories.

OK, rant over.

Complete nonsense. The obesity rate in Europe is nearly half what it is in the US. Are you saying they still eat gruel or that they don't have modern medicine?

Obesity is caused by one thing. Eating more calories than you are burning. A proper diet and more exercise is the cure. If you lack the intelligence or drive to keep yourself fit, you deserve any ridicule you receive.

No, seriously that thinking is a century out of date.

The hormones in our food and gut bacteria problems that we currently dont understant at all plays into this....we dont know home much because our experts suck.

Good and bad. Good because they're right, shaming people for being fat isn't going to help anything. Education, saying it isn't good because of the health issues that arise, tips to lose weight, etc. are good; by an organization, or a friend looking for advice to lose weight, just going up to an overweight person saying any of that isn't helping anyone.

Bad when acceptance turns into something more. You can't tell people to be attracted to overweight people, or that being only attracted to fit or skinny people is "media manipulation" or whatever BS. Or telling people that thinking overweight is bad=bigot. And yes, people do that, no most people don't do that; it's a very small minority.

Yes, if they had bad eating habits then even back in the day they died. But "fat" isn't a "natural" state. Even primitive people, if they are on their native diet, they don't usually get fat. It's when they change to a more modern diet they start having obesity problems.

WHO | Pacific islanders pay heavy price for abandoning traditional diet

https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/11940214/McCoy_2012.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Our modern dietary guidelines are what's making people fat. The Standard American Diet, as prescribed by the USDA, is responsible for our upsurge in Diabetes and Heart disease. Cooking with seed oils, like corn oil and soy oil, instead of olive oil, is a big part of the problem, because they are full of omega 6. Soy oil is in almost all bakery products, and almost every processed food.

That USDA food pyramid isn't based on sound science, it was developed by the food industry to sell products.

And Jillian Michaels is totally wrong. weight loss isn't just a matter of "calories in, calories out", and it doesn't matter where those calories come from. It actually matters a great deal. All calories are not "equal". I eat way more than the normal amount of calories; but I eat the right kind of calories.

OK, rant over.

That is what I have said... people's propensity or metabolic or paleo diet or gluten free etc etc etc were not so bad back in the day but modern diets are screwing with people and these people are able to live long because of modern medicine. Like it or not being fat is not something that is within many people's ability to combat. Fat shaming is consequently are very evil thing. Much like Glasses Shaming would be. People back in the day with poor eyesight were trampled under the mammoth or speared by a Spartan. Nobody today realistically has a valid argument to laugh at people with poor eyesight... or women that would have died during childbirth which accounted for the majority of women's deaths for almost all of human history until about 60 years ago. Nobody was laughing at or shaming women that almost died during child birth. Modern science saves those women. The point is that fat shaming or thinking that nobody should be fat because it is "not natural" are cave people with little comprehension of the bigger picture.

That is what I have said... people's propensity or metabolic or paleo diet or gluten free etc etc etc were not so bad back in the day but modern diets are screwing with people and these people are able to live long because of modern medicine. Like it or not being fat is not something that is within many people's ability to combat. Fat shaming is consequently are very evil thing. Much like Glasses Shaming would be. People back in the day with poor eyesight were trampled under the mammoth or speared by a Spartan. Nobody today realistically has a valid argument to laugh at people with poor eyesight... or women that would have died during childbirth which accounted for the majority of women's deaths for almost all of human history until about 60 years ago. Nobody was laughing at or shaming women that almost died during child birth. Modern science saves those women. The point is that fat shaming or thinking that nobody should be fat because it is "not natural" are cave people with little comprehension of the bigger picture.

I understand where you are coming from. But I don't want fat to become the new normal. I don't want people to consider being fat OK. It's not. Modern medicine is very good at keeping miserable fat people alive with large doses of pills and procedures. But it's a poor substitute for actually fixing the food system.

BTW; here is why I'm not a vegan. It's impossible to get the right nutrients on a vegan diet. Even an organic vegan diet. In short, the soils worldwide are depleted, and modern plants grow big but not nutritious.

Dirt Poor: Have Fruits and Vegetables Become Less Nutritious? - Scientific American

50 Years of Lost Nutrition | Blaming Nature

Are you thinking that the health of our microbe package has a lot to do with what is wrong?

All of these ****ing drugs for one thing, they come with costs taking so many I think.

If we could analyse each person and improve their Pak they would be thinner?

GENERALLY

No, I want as high a quality view shed as possible....I have no interest in seeing more slobs than I already do.....could we please work in the other direction?

tyvm

What is a "view shed"? A hut in a garden with a window in each wall?

What is a "view shed"? A hut in a garden with a window in each wall?

What ever is in front of my eyes that I am forced to see.

The term was originally about standing outside and taking in the panorama.

No, seriously that thinking is a century out of date.

The hormones in our food and gut bacteria problems that we currently dont understant at all plays into this....we dont know home much because our experts suck.

You are what you eat. Eat garbage, become garbage. It is not hard to understand. If you are a lazy twit and load up on processed food, you can only blame yourself for being a fat creep. Lard butts like all losers always have someone or something else to blame. People who go to the gym and are fit are eating the same food (in less quantity) as the lard butts. Why don't your hormones and gut bacteria affect them? I have five sons. When they were young and wanted a snack they got an apple. They ate balanced meals and played competitive sports. None of them are fat. They have too much pride to let their bodies go to seed. My grandkids are the same way. Instead of watching TV they are playing soccer. Most kids today spend their free time playing a video game or dinking with their Iphone while cramming down chips and candy bars. They will grow up to be lard butts with a dozen excuses just like you.

Take a trip over to France or Germany, you will rarely see a lard butt who isn't an American Tourist. You will also notice the people there walk and ride bikes instead of taking a car everywhere.

Go pump your fairy tale to someone else. I know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom