• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the Black Panther Party the black equivalent of the KKK? (1 Viewer)

Is the Black Panther Party the black equivalent of the KKK?

• Yes. The Black Panthers are the black version of the KKK

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • No. The Black Panthers are NOT the black version of the KKK

Votes: 39 54.2%
  • Other. Explain

Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters
The KKK has disavowed violence and criminal activity; the Black Panthers haven't.

Comparing abstraction between phenomena under different context is pointless. I can say, "the KKK has disavowed violence, the US military haven't, so KKK is better than the military."

It is implied whenever one refers to the BPP. When Beyonce or pretty much anybody refer to the BPP, they refer to the original ones.

It certainly wasn't implied in the OP. If he was asking about the historical black panther party, he should have phrased the question properly.

Last edited:
Since Beyonce's controversial Superbowl halftime performance, there's been some discussion that the Black Panthers are no different than the Ku Klux Klan. I have white friends who think the Panthers are the black version on the KKK. I have black friends who are like: "What?!?! You've got to be kidding me. I understand perception is reality to the the one who perceives, so what's your view?
There seems to be some question about whether you are asking about the black panthers in existence today, or the organization that was dissolved in 1982. Would you please clarify.

Since Beyonce's controversial Superbowl halftime performance, there's been some discussion that the Black Panthers are no different than the Ku Klux Klan. I have white friends who think the Panthers are the black version on the KKK. I have black friends who are like: "What?!?! You've got to be kidding me. I understand perception is reality to the the one who perceives, so what's your view?

Yes the black panthers are the black version of the KKK.

It certainly wasn't implied in the OP. If they were asking about the historical black panther party, they should have phrased the question properly.
It's common sense. If I'm talking about Nazis, even if I'm using the present tense, I'm talking the original Nazis not some modern group.

It's common sense. If I'm talking about Nazis, even if I'm using the present tense, I'm talking the original Nazis not some modern group.

You'll forgive me if I don't trust in your "common sense". ;)

In a word, "No". The two groups are not the same.

One sought dominance over all races with Whites being superior using violence and intimidation whenever it suited them. The other sought justice, equality and improvement for and of the Black race but didn't use violence unless and until provoked. Huge different.

The New Black Panther Party has nothing to do with original one. In fact, members of the original BPP condemned the New BPP.

It doesn't surprise me that people who have a negative view of Black people and have a rude understanding of the Black Panther Party of Self Defense would see today's New Black Panther Party as one and the same.

The original black panthers are not in existence today. The OP asked if the black panther party is the equivalent of the KKK, as in, present tense. The new black panther party is the only organization to identify by that name today.

That may be true, but when one thinks of the KKK, they don't think of a "kinder, gentler, race unifying organization" any more than yourself and others think of the Black Panthers as anything but a group of Black militants. So, when responding to the poll question one tends to take the question at face value and consider both organizations in totality per their historical content. Thus historically speaking, the KKK and the Black Panthers are not on the same plain. One made it clear they would use violence to achieve their objective of racial superiority and White supremacy. The other never used violence unless provoked.

wait so how is BLM and the black panthers a black version of the KKK....wouldn't it have to be 1 or the other?

I did a little digging and from what i can tell, the Ku Klux Klan carried out between 3000 an 4000 lynchings of innocent people. The lynchings were often punishment for things like looking at a white woman when they should have looked to the ground while passing a white person and having a successful business when a white owned business was a competitor. From what I can tell, elements of a rouge chapter of the Black Panthers carried out one killing of black person accused of being a snitch and never violence against whites.

Most of what the Black Panthers were known for among blacks were:

1. Strong supporters of the second amendment as a deterrent against unjust violence towards blacks in an era when police brutality was high in the 1960s/70s.

2. Talking a tough game of self-defense against racially motivated violence while rarely if ever actually resorting to violence. There were a couple of occasions where Black Panthers were ambushed and fired upon in what seem to be unprovoked attacks and they fought back in the heat of the moment but only Black Panthers got killed, again from what I can tell and I could be wrong.

3. Developing privately-funded community improvement programs such as free inner-city medical clinics and before school breakfast programs for children in poverty. Some of the initiatives started by the Black Panthers were later copied by the federal government.

I don't think any black person sees anything positive about the KKK.

Last edited:
Hell no.

I don't like the BPP, but no, they were not.

The Black Liberation Army, however, were terrorist swine.

BPP were not black supremacists like the Nation of Islam.

Racism is racism is racism. The New Black Panther Party are as vile a group of racist scum as has ever existed. So yes, they are the black equivalent of the KKK. Without question.

Listen to their leader call for the killing of white people. You be the judge.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mri2ZtPosvU

The New BPP are nothing but a street gang and are not recognized by old BPP members.

The actual BPP is dead.

I'm all for hating on the BPP, but let's do it right please.

Openly racist? Yes. Advocate violence? Yes.

They're the same.

The problem with viewing phenomena is that often they get taken out of their respective historical material context. Blacks are the victims of institutional racism, for them to organize and even employ violence is in no way comparable to the KKK, which sort to reinforce institutional racism. The connotation of "White Lives Matter" is inherently distinct from that of "Black Lives Matter."

The Black Panther Party, however, went beyond anti-racism. They organize their community with a variety of social programs to combat poverty, gang activities, poor education, and drug use. Of course they are militant. They have to be.

"Institutional racism" doesn't force black fathers to abandon their children.

No, they aren't the same in practice or with the same legacy of practice.

I find both disdainful forces on our body politic, however.

They're a uniformed racist hate group, just like the KKK. Also like the the KKK, they're largely irrelevant in spite of technically still being active.

I don't see any reason to categorize them differently. :shrug:

Frankly, in my opinion, the Black Panthers are actually a bit worse than the KKK. They're a revolutionary terrorist organization in addition to simply being racists. That puts them more on par with groups like the Neo-Nazis.

Last edited:
I don't know much about the modern day Black Panther Party. Historically, I disagreed with their methods but there is a clear distinction between the two.

The KKK, identifying as white nationalists were already on top and sought to keep their foot on the heads of the black race. The Black Panthers, being on the bottom, sought to rise up. And their stated goals (not sure if actual goals) were to be equal to the white race, while the KKK's intended goals were to maintain dominance over the black race.

So no, they are not equivalent. As far as the methods used by the historic Black Panther, that's definitely a topic of discussion. And I'm not endorsing them or their methods either, just laying out that distinction and the aims of both groups.

i dont think they lynched anyone yet - but they not my friends.

*ahem*

Here's a video of the leader of the New Black Panther Party, Malik Zulu Shabazz, blatantly calling for black people to rise up and kill white people.

This could easily be a Neo-Nazi rally if you simply swapped the races of the people involved around.

Last edited:
*ahem*

Here's a video of the leader of the New Black Panther party blatantly calling for black people to rise up and kill white people.

My post talked about the old Black Panthers, I honestly don't know anything about the modern day Black Panther movement.

My post talked about the old Black Panthers, I honestly don't know anything about the modern day Black Panther movement.

The old Black Panthers were radical Maoists who wanted to violently overthrow the US government, and still pretty racist to boot. Like most 60's era political radicals, they've simply been white washed by modern media.

modern day Black Panther movement.

there is none. as i said earlier in this thread the New Black Panther Party is an organization who has tried to cash in on the BPP's name and history to gain notoriety

The old Black Panthers were radical Maoists who wanted to violently overthrow the US government, and still pretty racist to boot. Like most 60's era political radicals, they've simply been white washed by modern media.
They were radicals, but how were they racist?

They were radicals, but how were they racist?

They were heavily linked with the ideology of Malcolm X and the Nation of Islam (i.e. the religion which teaches that white people are all inherently evil, and were only created as the result of an ancient science experiment specifically meant to breed an evil race), for one thing.

The BPP's founder, Huey P. Newton, was even a member of the church.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom