• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Nancy Pelosi an effective Speaker?

Is Nancy Pelosi an effective Speaker?

• Total voters
Continued:

Saw that; great segment.

It defies belief that anyone can think of Pelosi as anything more than token resistance; remember when she gave the Republicans more than what they wanted in terms of military spending, including funds for Trump's ridiculous 'Space Force' and removing limits on Donnie's war powers in exchange for 12 weeks paid maternal leave for government employees? Total joke. Honestly they're either grossly ignorant or actively exercising doublethink:

Extending the Patriot Act, despite Dems repeatedly expressing misgivings over Trump's abuse of executive power:

Why the Hell Did Democrats Just Extend the Patriot Act? | The New Republic

New Republic said:
It may seem to many Americans that Washington is entirely consumed by the impeachment inquiry, and that no other important business is getting done on Capitol Hill. But on Tuesday, in a break from televised hearings, the House of Representatives voted to fund the government through December 20. If passed by the Senate, the continuing resolution would prevent a government shutdown and forestall a debate about border-wall funding.

That’s all well and good, except that Democratic leaders had slipped something else into the bill: a three-month extension of the Patriot Act, the post-9/11 law that gave the federal government sweeping surveillance and search powers and circumvented traditional law-enforcement rules. Key provisions of the Patriot Act were set to expire on December 15, including Section 215, the legal underpinning of the call detail records program exposed in the very first Edward Snowden leak.

“It’s surreal,” Representative Justin Amash told me on Tuesday, just before the vote. Amash, an independent who left the Republican Party over his opposition to President Trump, pointed to the hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle. Republicans have “decried FISA abuse” against the president and his aides, he said, referring to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, “and Democrats have highlighted Trump’s abuse of his executive powers, yet they’re teaming up to extend the administration’s authority to warrantlessly gather data on Americans.”

Also more military spending approvals that defeated yet more limits on Trump's war powers:

https://theintercept.com/2020/07/09...-military-budget-and-more-war-in-afghanistan/

The Intercept said:
WHILE THE COUNTRY IS SUBSUMED by both public health and an unemployment crisis, and is separately focused on a sustained protest movement against police abuses, a massive $740.5 billion military spending package was approved last week by the Democratic-controlled House Armed Services Committee. The GOP-controlled Senate Armed Services Committee will almost certainly send the package with little to no changes to the White House for signing.

As we reported last week, pro-war and militaristic Democrats on the Committee joined with GOP Rep. Liz Cheney and the pro-war faction she leads to form majorities which approved one hawkish amendment after the next. Among those amendments was one co-sponsored by Cheney with Democratic Rep. Jason Crow of Colorado that impeded attempts by the Trump administration to withdraw troops from Afghanistan, and another amendment led by Rep. Ruben Gallego, D-Ariz., and Cheney which blocked the White House’s plan to remove 10,000 troop stationed in Germany.

While those two amendments were designed to block the Trump administration’s efforts to bring troops home, this same bipartisan pro-war faction defeated two other amendments that would have imposed limits on the Trump administration’s aggression and militarism: one sponsored by Democratic Rep. Tulsi Gabbard to require the Trump administration to provide a national security rationale before withdrawing from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, or INF, signed with the Soviet Union in 1987, and another to impose limits on the ability of the U.S. to arm and otherwise assist Saudi Arabia to bomb Yemen.

To be entirely frank, calling this 'resistance' at all, token or otherwise, may be a step too far.

Last edited:
I dont agree or disagree, I cant understand a word she says so have to sit on the fence.

Check this out if you're still a Pelosi fan and are opening to a challenge to her.

I'd say it's pretty telling that Greenbeard, Cardinal, et al. haven't yet responded or tried to address either your post, the video, or the linked articles.

I'd say it's pretty telling that Greenbeard, Cardinal, et al. haven't yet responded or tried to address either your post, the video, or the linked articles.

Truth be told, I'd like to win them over rather than fight with them. There's a difference between thinking Nancy Pelosi is an effective leader and knowing she is destructive to progressives and supporting her in that effort. As Sam Seder said in that clip, not long ago he thought Nancy Pelosi was the best choice for Speaker. I consider Sam and the late Michael Brooks (RIP) to be among the top shelf progressives in the fight. Sam eventually realized how utterly sabotaging of progressives she is, how she tamps down all resistance to her power, and how she actually enables Trump's agenda to protect her power.

Pelosi has GOT to go for Biden to be successful in any meaningful way, and for the Republicans not to re-take power in 2022 and 2024. Beating Trump is the floor, not the ceiling, and things can get a lot worse than even Trump.

In addition, the ex-Republican Never Trumps must never be allowed to become a wing of the Democratic party.

You can clearly see what the Lincoln Project is trying to do, and it's not take down Trump out of altruism. Eyes wide open, people.

Truth be told, I'd like to win them over rather than fight with them. There's a difference between thinking Nancy Pelosi is an effective leader and knowing she is destructive to progressives and supporting her in that effort. As Sam Seder said in that clip, not long ago he thought Nancy Pelosi was the best choice for Speaker. I consider Sam and the late Michael Brooks (RIP) to be among the top shelf progressives in the fight. Sam eventually realized how utterly sabotaging of progressives she is, how she tamps down all resistance to her power, and how she actually enables Trump's agenda to protect her power.

Pelosi has GOT to go for Biden to be successful in any meaningful way, and for the Republicans not to re-take power in 2022 and 2024. Beating Trump is the floor, not the ceiling, and things can get a lot worse than even Trump.

In addition, the ex-Republican Never Trumps must never be allowed to become a wing of the Democratic party.

You can clearly see what the Lincoln Project is trying to do, and it's not take down Trump out of altruism. Eyes wide open, people.

I think that may be true of Cardinal, but definitely not Greenbeard; he absolutely knows better and is repeatedly willfully disingenuous, taking pretty much any and every opportunity to slam MFA while tirelessly pushing the egregiously flawed ACA in addition to being a recurring champion of establishment darlings.

Also concerning Sam, better late than never; I'm kind of surprised it took him so long to figure Pelosi out.

And Schumer isn't much better; citing COVID as an excuse for not effecting reversals of Trump's tax cuts is absurd, particularly given that their benefits accrue disproportionately to the wealthiest who have been making a killing during the pandemic per the Federal Reserve's aggressive Wall Street bailouts and backstopping, nevermind federal stimulus that also disproportionately benefitted the wealthiest.

Back
Top Bottom