• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is capital punishment a deterrent?

Is capital punishment a deterrent?

  • Yes

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • No

    Votes: 25 89.3%

  • Total voters
    28

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
Would you agree that the person executed is deterred?
Disagree! Deterrent means NEVER doing it and if you've already committed one capital crime and you know you're going to get fried why stop at one? You might as well kill everyone!

Deterrent! HAH! It takes a pretty low IQ to be fooled into believeing that the death penalty stops murder.
 

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
Why is that scumbag Tookie Williams in California begging to have his death sentence commuted if he would rather die.........:confused:
I thought religious people, especially Catholics were all about forgiveness, especially through prayer and redemption?:confused:
 

26 X World Champs

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
7,536
Reaction score
429
Location
Upper West Side of Manhattan (10024)
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
I guess I could say the same thing and be real macho because like you I don't have to face it.......

Its obvious you have never looked death in the eye......You might change your mind.....
I'm really stupid because nothing I read that was written by Indie would make me know either way if he's faced death? How do you know, exactly?
 

Thorgasm

Bus Driver to Hell
DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
69,518
Reaction score
15,437
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
George_Washington said:
Yes, I know that sometimes mistakes happen and sometimes innocent people are sent to death row. But does that really mean we should just disregard the dealth penalty altogether? Imagine if someone you loved was brutally raped and murdered in the worst way possible. Would you not want them killed? Can you honestly say you wouldn't?

Actually, I would rather torture them for the rest of their lives. Killing them wouldn't stop my grief. It would just be letting them of easy while I would still suffer.
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
independent_thinker2002 said:
Actually, I would rather torture them for the rest of their lives. Killing them wouldn't stop my grief. It would just be letting them of easy while I would still suffer.

Yeah we already discussed that torture most liberals like to apply like weight rooms, colored and cable TV and playboy magazines for life or until some liberal judge thinks the scum is released and he gets to rape and murder again.........
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,320
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
Yeah we already discussed that torture most liberals like to apply like weight rooms, colored and cable TV and playboy magazines for life or until some liberal judge thinks the scum is released and he gets to rape and murder again.........


The idea of life imprisonment with no parole is that the criminal will remain in prison for life...with no parole. What part of this do you not understand?
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kandahar said:
The idea of life imprisonment with no parole is that the criminal will remain in prison for life...with no parole. What part of this do you not understand?

The part I don'tt understand is when some liberal judge down the road decides that the scum is rehabilitated and lets him out to rape and murder again and I don't like supporting these scum until that happens......
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,320
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Navy Pride said:
The part I don'tt understand is when some liberal judge down the road decides that the scum is rehabilitated and lets him out to rape and murder again and I don't like supporting these scum until that happens......

If the sentence is for life in prison with no parole, no one is going to decide that "the scum is rehabilitated," because he's NOT ELIGIBLE FOR PAROLE. The only way he's ever getting out of prison is if his conviction is overturned.
 

Scarecrow Akhbar

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,430
Reaction score
2,282
Location
Los Angeles
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Kandahar said:
If the sentence is for life in prison with no parole, no one is going to decide that "the scum is rehabilitated," because he's NOT ELIGIBLE FOR PAROLE. The only way he's ever getting out of prison is if his conviction is overturned.

Well, what happens is that the scum gets access to the prison law library, he hires the best jailhouse lawyers he can suck up to, and they start working the system.

Life without parole doesn't necessarily mean what it says. This is one reason why certain scum get sentenced to six consecutive life terms.
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,320
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Well, what happens is that the scum gets access to the prison law library, he hires the best jailhouse lawyers he can suck up to, and they start working the system.

Then he'll have the opportunity to appeal his case. Like I said, the only way he's getting out of prison is if his conviction is overturned. And if his conviction *is* overturned, are you suggesting it would've been better to execute him before the mistake was revealed?

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Life without parole doesn't necessarily mean what it says.

If anyone has been released on parole after being sentenced to life with no parole, that problem can be solved by states passing laws to make that sort of thing illegal. You don't need to resort to the death penalty to solve that problem.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
This is one reason why certain scum get sentenced to six consecutive life terms.

Multiple life sentences are usually just the judge's way of expressing his condemnation of the crimes. They don't really mean anything.
 

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally Posted by Navy Pride
Why is that scumbag Tookie Williams in California begging to have his death sentence commuted if he would rather die.........
In answer to your question, he said he didn't do it. Think about this, giving him life, he is an outspoken opponant of street gangs. By killing him, you make him a martyr for those same groups. As well as being inspiration to continue that kind of lifestyle.
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Billo_Really said:
In answer to your question, he said he didn't do it. Think about this, giving him life, he is an outspoken opponant of street gangs. By killing him, you make him a martyr for those same groups. As well as being inspiration to continue that kind of lifestyle.

Do you know anything about the case? There are quotes from him about him bragging about killing the 4 people...........
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
We are again getting way off topic here........The question asked Is capotal punishment a deterrent?
 

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally Posted by Navy Pride
Do you know anything about the case? There are quotes from him about him bragging about killing the 4 people...........
Can you post the source so I don't have to take your word for it?
 

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally Posted by Navy Pride
We are again getting way off topic here........The question asked Is capotal punishment a deterrent?
Is grounding a kid, before you've had the baby, teaching them discipline? There are higher priorities regarding the death penalty we should be addressing before we get to the deterrent question. But the answer to that is "no".
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Billo_Really said:
Can you post the source so I don't have to take your word for it?


No I don't have time to post a source.....Its been covered a 1000 times on the news..........
 

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally Posted by Navy Pride
No I don't have time to post a source.....Its been covered a 1000 times on the news..........
Thank you for being honest and to the point. But why would he not apologize to the families of the ones slain, and giving his reasons as that would be admitting he was guilty of the crime. Then turn around and brag about it. Maybe he did it in the nine childrens books he wrote.
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Billo_Really said:
Thank you for being honest and to the point. But why would he not apologize to the families of the ones slain, and giving his reasons as that would be admitting he was guilty of the crime. Then turn around and brag about it. Maybe he did it in the nine childrens books he wrote.

Bottom line is Tookie had been advised by a good public relations agency in his attempts to cheat justice but it won't work..........Tookie will fry tonight and this country will be a better place for it........
 

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally Posted by Navy Pride
Bottom line is Tookie had been advised by a good public relations agency in his attempts to cheat justice but it won't work..........Tookie will fry tonight and this country will be a better place for it........
And what about the claim that there maybe information that has come to light that proves the prosecutions witnesses may have lied. Isn't that justice cheating him?
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Billo_Really said:
And what about the claim that there maybe information that has come to light that proves the prosecutions witnesses may have lied. Isn't that justice cheating him?

This guy has been on death row for 26 years......If there was any creditable evidence in his favor it would have been presented by now...........
 

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally Posted by Navy Pride
This guy has been on death row for 26 years......If there was any creditable evidence in his favor it would have been presented by now...........
So our time being wasted is more important than the finding the truth. Go research Harrah vs Collins and you will find your statement was moot.
 

Scarecrow Akhbar

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,430
Reaction score
2,282
Location
Los Angeles
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Billo_Really said:
In answer to your question, he said he didn't do it. Think about this, giving him life, he is an outspoken opponant of street gangs. By killing him, you make him a martyr for those same groups. As well as being inspiration to continue that kind of lifestyle.

Martyr schmartyr. The guy's a gangster, not a beloved holiday icon. Not executing him on the grounds that his followers would then idolize him even more ignores the fact that not executing him will tell his followers that they too have a chance to get away with it.

And I certainly don't want to create any more inspirations to follow that kind of lifestyle.

Besides, so what if he said he didn't do it? The jury rejected his plea of "not guilty", and all appeals since then have backed the jury, not the darling author of children's stories. The best thing to do with his stories is to write at the end "the author of this story was a bad man who was killed for his evil acts, so be good for goodness sake".
 

Scarecrow Akhbar

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,430
Reaction score
2,282
Location
Los Angeles
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Kandahar said:
Then he'll have the opportunity to appeal his case. Like I said, the only way he's getting out of prison is if his conviction is overturned. And if his conviction *is* overturned, are you suggesting it would've been better to execute him before the mistake was revealed?



If anyone has been released on parole after being sentenced to life with no parole, that problem can be solved by states passing laws to make that sort of thing illegal. You don't need to resort to the death penalty to solve that problem.



Multiple life sentences are usually just the judge's way of expressing his condemnation of the crimes. They don't really mean anything.

The death penalty should be applied uniformly. It's not. There's nothing inherently wrong with punishing a murderer with death, assuming the evidence is conclusive. Westerfield, for example, should have exhausted his appeals by now and been tossed into the homosexual wing of San Quentin with "I'm a baby raper and killer" embroidered all over his prison suit. The violent queers would have been all to happy to rape him to death. (Believe it or not, the gay community hates pedophiles even more than the straights do. They get splattered by an unfair association.)

But since that didn't happen, the jury should never have sentenced him to a cushy protected existence on death row.

But there's a difference between walking because you're innocent, and walking because you're guilty and you've found some technicalities to skate out on.

I think after a capital conviction all evidence should be re-examined by an independent board, just in case the prosecutor missed something or deliberately passed over some exculpatory evidence. Prosecutors are lawyers, which means they're dishonest, and besides that, they're more interested in getting a conviction on their record than in convicting the guy that actually did it.
 

Scarecrow Akhbar

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,430
Reaction score
2,282
Location
Los Angeles
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Billo_Really said:
And what about the claim that there maybe information that has come to light that proves the prosecutions witnesses may have lied. Isn't that justice cheating him?

They always say there's evidence just around the corner. It's like tomorrow. Tomorrow never gets here either.
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
[QUOTEIn answer to your question, he said he didn't do it. ][/QUOTE]

What a shocker......A guy on death row claims he is innocent:roll:
 
Top Bottom