• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is being a Lefty or Righty a moral issue?

I divided 100 billion dollars by 315 million Americans, using a calculator. The result is $317, plus a few decimal places.

Simple math.

Now I'm not sure what Bill Gates is worth just the now... it might be two or three times that, but even if it is, distributing it to all the People is not going to make anybody prosperous... Bill Gates' money won't go that far, believe it or not there isn't enough of it.

Get our your calculator and do the division yourself.

Thats what Waltons are worth, not what they make.

I worked with them also, and came away with a very different view of the majority of them.

No, because you lack the understand of other variables that can effect future criminals.

Thats what Waltons are worth, not what they make.

I wasn't talking about the Waltons in this case, I was talking about Bill Gates, who I named repeatedly.

So tell me... is what they (whichever they), MAKE more or less than they're net WORTH?

Generally speaking, what they MAKE is less (a LOT less) than what they are WORTH. So there would be far less to distribute on that basis... and what would their motivation be to continue running their company (and providing the services and jobs and whatnot it does) if you were taking away all their profit?

Can you present whatever notion it is you're going for here, in a coherent and understandable whole please? So far you're very short on details and figures.

No, because you lack the understand of other variables that can effect future criminals.

Ah yes, clearly it is I who, errum, 'lack the understand' as you say.

... which might have something to do with a substantial lack of facts, figures or details on your part... just sayin'....

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about the Waltons in this case, I was talking about Bill Gates, who I named repeatedly.

So tell me... is what they (whichever they), MAKE more or less than they're net WORTH?

Generally speaking, what they MAKE is less (a LOT less) than what they are WORTH. So there would be far less to distribute on that basis... and what would their motivation be to continue running their company (and providing the services and jobs and whatnot it does) if you were taking away all their profit?

Can you present whatever notion it is you're going for here, in a coherent and understandable whole please? So far you're very short on details and figures.

The walton's make $36,000,000 of every hour of every day. enough to pay for most poor folks.

Wal-Mart Company Statistics | Statistic Brain

The walton's don't do anything. All the workers make that money together as one. Their motivation is for families, education, food, water and shelter. The CEO's could be gone and it won't impact the business, because the workers do the job.

The walton's make $36,000,000 of every hour of every day. enough to pay for most poor folks.

The walton's don't do anything. All the workers make that money together as one. Their motivation is for families, education, food, water and shelter. The CEO's could be gone and it won't impact the business, because the workers do the job.

What was Sam's motivation to begin the company?

It seems like conservatives are always against helping people. They hate immigrants, poor people, and people in jail. What do you guys think, is politics a moral issue?

That is partisan bs. Look the AWD act. Look Eisenhower's campaign commercials. "vote for peace". You can't judge all conservatives based on the people they vote for because IMO our representatives, this goes for both parties, do not represent us anymore.

It seems like conservatives are always against helping people. They hate immigrants, poor people, and people in jail. What do you guys think, is politics a moral issue?
Judging by what you posted here, politics is definitely an intelligence issue_

That is partisan bs. Look the AWD act. Look Eisenhower's campaign commercials. "vote for peace". You can't judge all conservatives based on the people they vote for because IMO our representatives, this goes for both parties, do not represent us anymore.

I was referring to present day conservatives.

Holey Hannah... you should read your own links.

The Waltons do not MAKE 36 million an hour. According to your own source, Wal-Mart's total SALES is 36 million per hour.

Sales is not profit, let alone income.

Out of sales you have to take out for employee payroll, employee benefits, unemployment insurance (Paid by employer in many states), COST OF MATERIALS sold (Wal-Mart doesn't pull them out of thin air, they buy them from other companies or make them), Overhead like paying for the building/electric bill/water bill/property taxes/maintenance and repair/upgrades/etc, and a gazillion other things... which eat up most of that money.

Do you know anything at all about business?

Your site says Wal-Mart profits are almost $35,000 per minute... which is 2.1 million per hour. (simple math again, 60 minutes in an hour, just multiply) Far far less than 36 million per hour you claimed... and the Walton family does NOT get all that profit! In the first place that is probably GROSS PROFIT, which is sales minus basic expenditures. After that you've got to take out for capital expansion (new stores and new hires and etc), taxes (a big bite), and other things.

Then the Walton family does NOT own all the stock of Wal-Mart... much of it is owned by numerous other investors, many of them simply individual citizens with a retirement portfolio.

Let's say for the sake of argument that Wal-Mart corp makes 2.1 million in Gross profit per hour, 24 hours a day... again simple math, 24x 2.1 = 50.4 million a day profit.

GROSS profit. By the time taxes and capital reinvestment and so on are done, that might be more like 25 million a day.

I seriously doubt the Walton family even gets half of that, but let's say they do... 12.5 million dollars a day.

Now let's say you take ALL that away from them... without ruining Wal-Mart in ways already mentioned, by some miracle...

... and divide it among all the people of America... 12.5 million dollars divided by 315 million people.... again simple math, get out your calculator if you don't believe my figures, this is 3rd grade math...

12.5 million dollars / 315 million people = each person gets a smidge less than four cents a day.

Yup, you'll cure poverty in no time with a plan like that! :doh

Judging by what you posted here, politics is definitely an intelligence issue_

Social progress can be measured by the social position of the female sex.
Karl Marx

For me, politics is always about doing what is moral. For others, its mostly about helping their side win.

Another major source of conflict is between two types of morality or ethics. One side uses morality based on tradition and their religious teachings. The other side uses an analyses of the situation and aims to minimize harm and do the most good with every decision.

Most people aren't entirely at the extreme end of these two moralities. Most traditionalists don't follow every out-dated dictate of their tradition, and most situational ethics advocates don't reject all traditions. Traditionalists are actually the ones who change their morals the most, but they do it slowly, even when new information should make them change their opinion.

For example, I remember when the debate over gay rights was over whether gays should be arrested or not. Now most of the traditionalists are accepting civil unions and are fighting gay marriage.

Holey Hannah... you should read your own links.

The Waltons do not MAKE 36 million an hour. According to your own source, Wal-Mart's total SALES is 36 million per hour.

Sales is not profit, let alone income.

Out of sales you have to take out for employee payroll, employee benefits, unemployment insurance (Paid by employer in many states), COST OF MATERIALS sold (Wal-Mart doesn't pull them out of thin air, they buy them from other companies or make them), Overhead like paying for the building/electric bill/water bill/property taxes/maintenance and repair/upgrades/etc, and a gazillion other things... which eat up most of that money.

Do you know anything at all about business?

Your site says Wal-Mart profits are almost $35,000 per minute... which is 2.1 million per hour. (simple math again, 60 minutes in an hour, just multiply) Far far less than 36 million per hour you claimed... and the Walton family does NOT get all that profit! In the first place that is probably GROSS PROFIT, which is sales minus basic expenditures. After that you've got to take out for capital expansion (new stores and new hires and etc), taxes (a big bite), and other things.

Then the Walton family does NOT own all the stock of Wal-Mart... much of it is owned by numerous other investors, many of them simply individual citizens with a retirement portfolio.

Let's say for the sake of argument that Wal-Mart corp makes 2.1 million in Gross profit per hour, 24 hours a day... again simple math, 24x 2.1 = 50.4 million a day profit.

GROSS profit. By the time taxes and capital reinvestment and so on are done, that might be more like 25 million a day.

I seriously doubt the Walton family even gets half of that, but let's say they do... 12.5 million dollars a day.

Now let's say you take ALL that away from them... without ruining Wal-Mart in ways already mentioned, by some miracle...

... and divide it among all the people of America... 12.5 million dollars divided by 315 million people.... again simple math, get out your calculator if you don't believe my figures, this is 3rd grade math...

12.5 million dollars / 315 million people = each person gets a smidge less than four cents a day.

Yup, you'll cure poverty in no time with a plan like that! :doh

Probably is an important word.

It didn't say gross profit but if you can find out, be my guess. They own 48 % of the stock so can you calculate that too? I never said to give it to every person, only those who are poor.

Wal mart would not collapse if the walton family stops owing it. Workers will still work.

I really hope your rich, because to defend them like that. Simply chaos.

Total amount of money spent at Wal-Mart every hour of every day

It didn't say gross profit but if you can find out, be my guess. They own 48 % of the stock so can you calculate that too? I never said to give it to every person, only those who are poor.

Wal mart would not collapse if the walton family stops owing it. Workers will still work.

Yes, the owners could shut it down tomorrow, but what purpose would it serve and who would it hurt...

Yes, the owners could shut it down tomorrow, but what purpose would it serve and who would it hurt...

No if the owners just stop participating, the workers will still work.

I really hope your rich, because to defend them like that. Simply chaos.

I am far from rich, and chaos is exactly what you're proposing.

OK... so let's be super-unreasonably-optimistic and assume that's NET profit and 48% is the Walton's...

48% of 50.4 million is about 25 million a day.

We'll assume the bottom 25% of Americans are "the poor". 315 million americans x 25% = 78.75 million.

78.75 million people are relatively poor then.

25 million dollars a day / 78.75 million people who need money = about 32 cents per day per person.

Yup, that will really make a difference and change people's lives.

OH, but we'll have to add the Waltons to the list of poor people too... since you're taking all their income away...

No if the owners just stop participating, the workers will still work.

Because a huge corporation with many thousands of stores and warehouses and millions of employees just runs itself without any need of executive oversight, right? Right.

I am far from rich, and chaos is exactly what you're proposing.

OK... so let's be super-unreasonably-optimistic and assume that's NET profit and 48% is the Walton's...

48% of 50.4 million is about 25 million a day.

We'll assume the bottom 25% of Americans are "the poor". 315 million americans x 25% = 78.75 million.

78.75 million people are relatively poor then.

25 million dollars a day / 78.75 million people who need money = about 32 cents per day per person.

Yup, that will really make a difference and change people's lives.

OH, but we'll have to add the Waltons to the list of poor people too... since you're taking all their income away...

forgot to include 48% of the stocks.

Because a huge corporation with many thousands of stores and warehouses and millions of employees just runs itself without any need of executive oversight, right? Right.

If the employees are given the power, Pretty sure they would strive better than executive oversight.

Back
Top Bottom