• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is age a factor?

shibbyguy

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
My parents are both moderate democrats, but they both want to ban gay marriage. I have several friends who are republicans that think banning gay marriage is a blatant assault on the rights of our homosexual citizens. Sure, there are some older citizens who think gays can get married, and there are younger people who want to ban gay marriage, but from what I've observed, it seems like the older one is, the more likely they will want to ban gay marriage. I know there are exceptions, but I'm speaking in general terms. Um...that's about it. Feel free to comment!

Yeah, I thought of this a while ago ever since I discussed the topic with my grandparents. They are completely against it. My grandmother didn't speak to me for a week when she found out I had a gay friend. I seriously see age as a factor.

Welcome to Debate Politics!

I don't see it much as an age factor. I see it more as an acceptance thing.

Throughout our history there have always been folks that stretch the boundaries. Those boundaries soon become the norm because it becomes OK and a way of life.

It's not much different, IMO, than fashion. Bell bottoms, swatches, crew cuts, mohawks, rock music, male earrings, tattoos etc... At one point in time, these were all considered out of bounds and the folks that done or wore these things were considered abnormal, weird, or against society. That is until that fashion became acceptable. The reaction in Grandparents weren't much different.

vauge said:
male earrings

Well, I've lust spent half an hour examining my earring. Damned if I know what sex it is!

Naughty Nurse said:
Well, I've lust spent half an hour examining my earring. Damned if I know what sex it is!

Is it an inie or an outie?

vauge said:
Is it an inie or an outie?

It takes the insertive role, so I guess it's male, and dead butch at that!

Yeah, I spose it is more of a new-trend kinda thing. Older people probably just aren't used to homosexuality, so they react with prejiduce. Kinda sad, but hopefully after the young people of today become the old people in America, this won't even be an issue, and it will just be a stain on Bush's civil rights record in the history books.

vauge said:
Welcome to Debate Politics!

I don't see it much as an age factor. I see it more as an acceptance thing.

Throughout our history there have always been folks that stretch the boundaries. Those boundaries soon become the norm because it becomes OK and a way of life.

It's not much different, IMO, than fashion. Bell bottoms, swatches, crew cuts, mohawks, rock music, male earrings, tattoos etc... At one point in time, these were all considered out of bounds and the folks that done or wore these things were considered abnormal, weird, or against society. That is until that fashion became acceptable. The reaction in Grandparents weren't much different.

LOL Vague, I can tell you were a child of the 70's & 80's!

But the inherent problem with your examples is that most (not all) of them are fads.
Marriage access for gays I don't see as being a fad anymore than marriages for straights. Granted, many celebs would beg to differ here, but that's an entirely different can of worms.

To equate an abnormal sexual perversion that statistically kills its practioners and its practioners radical agenda with a haircut style or particular type of pants is bizarre.

Let me change a few words:

"Pedophilia, polygamy, intravenous drug abuse, self-immolation, cannabalism, car-jacking, home invasion robberies and bestiality is not much different, IMO, than fashion. Bell bottoms, swatches, crew cuts, mohawks, rock music, male earrings, tattoos etc... At one point in time, these were all considered out of bounds and the folks that done or wore these things were considered abnormal, weird, or against society. That is until that fashion became acceptable. The reaction in Grandparents weren't much different."

If you disagree, plead your case.

You really need to see a shrink man.

I am starting to think that closet of yours needs to be unbolted.

From Vauge:
You really need to see a shrink man.I am starting to think that closet of yours needs to be unbolted.

Well, now that explains why you ban all opposition to homosexual politics here.....since you are using one of their common flaming, baiting and harassing refrains of accusing your opposition of being homosexual and mentally ill.

Accusing me of being mentally ill and a homosexual is disruptive, flaming and harassing in nature and does not contribute expressively to this community and is therfore a violation of the forum rules.

No sir, you have been banned 2 x. If I ban you again, you would just create another account and I would have to send another damn log file to comcast.

Well, now that explains why you ban all opposition to homosexual politics here.....since you are using one of their common flaming, baiting and harassing refrains of accusing your opposition of being homosexual and mentally ill.

What exactly do you think to gain by posting here?

I was stating the obvious. Read up in a psych 101 book. Your very gross overstated complaints about the homosexual community is obviously coming from the inside. However, if you were to state a case and leave it on topic - perhaps your posts would warrant further thought.

Hate to bust your bubble, but I am not gay so therefore I have no 'agenda'. Well, I take that back - I have one. It's having a non-disruptive community.

Accusing me of being mentally ill and a homosexual is disruptive, flaming and harassing in nature and does not contribute expressively to this community and is therfore a violation of the forum rules.

You forgot the one about common sense.

well....we gotta stop this guy

Last edited:
ElGringo17 said:
To equate an abnormal sexual perversion that statistically kills its practioners and its practioners radical agenda with a haircut style or particular type of pants is bizarre.

"Pedophilia, polygamy, intravenous drug abuse, self-immolation, cannabalism, car-jacking, home invasion robberies and bestiality is not much different, IMO, than fashion. Bell bottoms, swatches, crew cuts, mohawks, rock music, male earrings, tattoos etc... At one point in time, these were all considered out of bounds and the folks that done or wore these things were considered abnormal, weird, or against society. That is until that fashion became acceptable. The reaction in Grandparents weren't much different."

Wait, so are you saying that Gays getting married is just as bad as pedophilia, polygamy, intravenous drug abuse, self-immolation, cannabalism, car-jacking, home invasion robberies and bestiality? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are saying that two people of the same sex exercising their constitutional right to marry are just as detestable as pedophiles, polygamists, drug abusers, suicidal people, cannibals, car thieves, burglarers, and people who participate in or watch beasiality. If that is the case, well....you very prejiduced....and that is sad. But if I just misunderstood you, then whatev.

ElGringo17 said:

Wait, so are you saying that homosexuality is just as bad as pedophilia, polygamy, intravenous drug abuse, self-immolation, cannibalism, car-jacking, home invasion robberies and bestiality? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are saying that two people of the same sex exercising their constitutional right to marry are just as detestable as pedophiles, polygamists, drug abusers, suicidal people, cannibals, car thieves, burglars, and people who participate in or watch bestiality. If that is the case, well....you very prejudiced....and that is sad. But if I just misunderstood you, then whatev.

shibbyguy said:
Wait, so are you saying that Gays getting married is just as bad as pedophilia, polygamy, intravenous drug abuse, self-immolation, cannabalism, car-jacking, home invasion robberies and bestiality? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are saying that two people of the same sex exercising their constitutional right to marry are just as detestable as pedophiles, polygamists, drug abusers, suicidal people, cannibals, car thieves, burglarers, and people who participate in or watch beasiality. If that is the case, well....you very prejiduced....and that is sad. But if I just misunderstood you, then whatev.

Yes, you've got it right. That's what he's saying. Check out his other postings, of course under the user names of: Libertarian, HeteroDefenceLeague, Military******...and others...as Shurmot for a more complete list of his aliases.

All behaviors listed are abnormal behaviors, just as homosexuality is.

ElGringo17 said:
All behaviors listed are abnormal behaviors, just as homosexuality is.

This is where you facts and your opinion are completely confused. Homosexuality it NOT abnormal nor a pathology. This has been explained to you several times. Your choice to dismiss these facts have been of your own choice.
Your insistence that homosexuality is somehow abnormal is just plain false.

No, "if's", "and's" or "but's" about it.

You got issues, you need help. Simple math that even you should be able to handle.

There is absoluely no question that homosexuality is abnormal...try reading the dictionary:

Main Entry: 1ab·nor·mal
Pronunciation: (")ab-'nor-m&l, &b-
Function: adjective
Etymology: alteration of French anormal, from Medieval Latin anormalis, from Latin a- + Late Latin normalis normal
: deviating from the normal or average : UNUSUAL, EXCEPTIONAL <abnormal behavior>

JustineCredible said:
This is where you facts and your opinion are completely confused. Homosexuality it NOT abnormal nor a pathology. This has been explained to you several times. Your choice to dismiss these facts have been of your own choice.
Your insistence that homosexuality is somehow abnormal is just plain false.

No, "if's", "and's" or "but's" about it.

You got issues, you need help. Simple math that even you should be able to handle.

I think most of us that are against gay marriage would disagree with you.....That is why it is such a hot button issue with moderates and conservatives..........

Navy Pride said:
I think most of us that are against gay marriage would disagree with you.....That is why it is such a hot button issue with moderates and conservatives..........

Even Harvard says that homosexuality is not normal (indirectly).

From an old thread that I posted:

See post here:
Jada Pinkett-Smith was called "hetronormative" after a speech she gave recently by the Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender, and Supporters Alliance at Harvard.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=71267

Logically one could conclude that they consider hetrosexual behavior normal. The opposite of that is NOT normal.

*Note original news link above has been archived, but available for a fee*

vauge said:
Even Harvard says that homosexuality is not normal (indirectly).
Well, that's not Harvard saying that, it's a GLBT group of extremely hypersensitive idiots.

From the original article:
Students said that some of Pinkett Smith’s remarks concerning appropriate gender roles were specific to heterosexual relationships.

BGLTSA Co-Chair Jordan B. Woods ‘06 said that, while many BGLTSA members thought Pinkett Smith’s speech was “motivational,” some were insulted because they thought she narrowly defined the roles of men and women in relationships.

“Some of the content was extremely heteronormative, and made BGLTSA members feel uncomfortable,” he said.
Heteronormative being defined here that heterosexuals in a marriage perform certain roles (the man works, the woman cooks, etc etc).

It looks like some of these BGLTSA people need a nice warm cup of STFU.

An adjective for normal is average.

The typical average human is heterosexual. Anthing beyond that is not normal.
Is this a qualifying statment?

vauge said:
An adjective for normal is average.

The typical average human is heterosexual. Anthing beyond that is not normal.
Is this a qualifying statment?
The average american is white. Anything beyond that is not normal.

In this case, normal is not synonymous with average and might get ya in trouble. Same case would apply to sexuality.

Has anyone bothered to think that maybe the term "Heteronormitive" is ONLY refering to heterosexual gender roles, and has absolutely nothing to do with homosexuality whatsoever?

What is "normitive" for heterosexuals, may not be the case for homosexuals, or it may it's just that the term in question is making a distinction between homo/hetero sexuals and their gender roles.

I just don't see how it relates to homosexuality at all. Sorry, but I'm just not buying into this.

Back
Top Bottom