• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IRS Rule Leads Restaurants to Rethink Automatic Tips

When it comes to my tipping, it actually shortchanges the waitress to add in the automatic tip. I won't add more if they put it in, but when it is not there, I usually tip more than 15%

Back when I waited tables, the restaurant I worked in left it to the servers discretion. I often didn't add in the tip and most of the time I did much better. However there were times when I waited on a party of 25 with a bill in excess of $600 which my entire section for the night where I was handed a $20 bill and told "Thank you so much....you did a terrific job". I think some people just don't understand tipping etiquette when it comes to large groups. $20 might seem like a good tip to someone who normally only eats out in a group of 2-3 and leaves $5.

Back when I waited tables, the restaurant I worked in left it to the servers discretion. I often didn't add in the tip and most of the time I did much better. However there were times when I waited on a party of 25 with a bill in excess of $600 which my entire section for the night where I was handed a $20 bill and told "Thank you so much....you did a terrific job". I think some people just don't understand tipping etiquette when it comes to large groups. $20 might seem like a good tip to someone who normally only eats out in a group of 2-3 and leaves $5.

This is something that sort of annoys me though I do not run into as often as I did when I was in college. As far as I am concerned, if somebody is picking up the tab for your meal, you better make sure there is money out of your pocket on the table for a tip. I had it out one time when the people I was with were totally screwing the waitress on the tip after I had picked up the check under the "I'll get the bill, you guys get the tip" thing and I ended up putting a heck of a lot more down for the waitress than they did, and then they tried to pick their money back up off the table because they felt I had given the waitress too much. If you have 6-8 people sucking up a station for 2 hours, 10% doesn't cut it.

next step should be to stop exempting them from paying minimum wage. if i wanted to tip the owner, i would. i'm tipping for good service, not to subsidize the base salary.

This is something that sort of annoys me though I do not run into as often as I did when I was in college. As far as I am concerned, if somebody is picking up the tab for your meal, you better make sure there is money out of your pocket on the table for a tip. I had it out one time when the people I was with were totally screwing the waitress on the tip after I had picked up the check under the "I'll get the bill, you guys get the tip" thing and I ended up putting a heck of a lot more down for the waitress than they did, and then they tried to pick their money back up off the table because they felt I had given the waitress too much. If you have 6-8 people sucking up a station for 2 hours, 10% doesn't cut it.

I've had similar situations where someone picks up the check....I offer to leave the tip and they say no and I notice a less than 10% tip.....I always try to find a way to sneak more money onto the table but sometimes its difficult.

I had what was supposed to be a party of 25, turned out to be a party of 5 that showed up 45 minutes late. I got the same "Thank you so much...you did a terrific job." Even a "God bless you." The lady who paid gave me a dollar...

That said, I also generally did much better without the gratuity added.

I've had similar situations where someone picks up the check....I offer to leave the tip and they say no and I notice a less than 10% tip.....I always try to find a way to sneak more money onto the table but sometimes its difficult.

Yeah I tend not to be discreet. I'll throw the money down and call them a cheap bastard to their faces, in a polite way of course.

I hate the entire notion of tipping. Pay servers a living wage, charge us what the food is worth, and forget tips altogether.

I've done that before as well. More than once.

But, I still resent the idea of the tip being mandatory. At that point it really is nothing more than a surcharge. And I'm like Fisher... if they have the nerve to tell me what the percentage will be, I will pay it, but not a cent more. Not even if they deserve it.

I've done that before as well. More than once.

But, I still resent the idea of the tip being mandatory. At that point it really is nothing more than a surcharge. And I'm like Fisher... if they have the nerve to tell me what the percentage will be, I will pay it, but not a cent more. Not even if they deserve it.

I'm kinda the same. I generally always tip 20%, having been a server for many years....but when the tip is added in, unless they were extraordinary, I generally say...ah too bad for you because you would have gotten more.

hate the practice of tipping.

If I order more expensive food, the wait staff does no more work then if I ordered a cheaper item.

the percentage tip thing is a stupid way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom