• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IPCC Report Reveals 'Bleak and Brutal Truth' About Climate Emergency

only in your imagination, a tax deduction is a business expense that reduces the gross profit to the net taxable profits.
and apply to any business. Exxon deducting the cost of refitting a refinery unit, is deducted the same way that Walmart
would deduct the cost of updating a store. It is not cash sent from the government to the business to encourage some special activity.

I reject your logic. It's not the same because it's not a general tax deduction available to any and all businesses, it's a specific deduction for a specific thing. You even admitted to it: to encourage desirable behavior. That's government getting involved, you literally said it yourself.

I reject your logic. It's not the same because it's not a general tax deduction available to any and all businesses, it's a specific deduction for a specific thing. You even admitted to it: to encourage desirable behavior. That's government getting involved, you literally said it yourself.
Except that Exxon would likely get the same tax deduction as a business expense if they were simply changing the unit
from the winter to the summer blend, i.e. a routine business expense.

Except that Exxon would likely get the same tax deduction as a business expense if they were simply changing the unit
from the winter to the summer blend, i.e. a routine business expense.
Why do you think these special tax deductions exist if they don't cover anything new?

To me, the only path forward towards a sustainable energy future within the framework of existing technology, is
hydrocarbon energy storage, yet people here argue that battery electric vehicles will save the planet.
For the purposes of this discussions the luddites, are those who refuse to consider all the options, even when they
know that their choice will only have a limited results over a long period of time.
Because battery transportation works :).

You seem to be unaware that the biomass that is being converted to CO2 has been buried in the ground for millions of years, and its not turning into biomass any time soon because we are not in the Carboniferous Age anymore.
That one will pick at any nit he thinks he can get away with.

Except that it is not the scientist who are being short sighted, but the advocates of limited technology like battery electric cars.
Please consider how long it will take to reduce emissions, with people buying battery electric vehicles?
You also have to consider that many high emissions vehicles like Jets, Ships, and Heavy Trucks, will not be capable of being battery
electric until some much better battery technology is available.
I have no real issue with people who want to buy a battery electric car for themselves, and feel the limitations are something they can live with,
I do have an issue with the idea of only battery electric cars being available, because they are yet capable of filling all the roles
currently occupies by hydrocarbon fueled cars.
I think the plug in hybrids have a real place in the future, but only if they are not regulated out of existence.
Electric vehicles are not as limited as you think. I kinda know from experience.

I am fine with battery electric cars competing on an equal footing with traditional cars, but not the government
preselecting a winner.
Government already pre-selected the winner. Fossil fuels are definitely not competing on the same footing because they get favorable treatment.

Why do you think these special tax deductions exist if they don't cover anything new?
Why do you think there are new special tax deductions?

So you do not think Tesla, the solar panel companies, and Wind Turbine companies, are profit driven?
Also the oil companies cannot make a profit by making carbon neutral fuels?
Its the reason they arent making them now, that fiduciary responsibility to shareholders. Imo as long as that fiduciary duty is to shareholders above all else, there is little incentive.

Why do you think there are new special tax deductions?
Let me get this straight: you think no tax deductions specific to green energy, electric vehicles, etc, exist?

Because battery transportation works :).
For ground car transportation, and mostly. Many people would have to adjust their driving to
accommodate the limitations of battery electric cars.
It is very questionable if a fixed battery would work in a long haul tractor trailer.

The planet is fine. IF the climate changes to a point in which we all die, then why not celebrate our passing and welcome whatever the planet decides shall be the next phase ---- which will likely continue to be followed by many more new chapters after the next one too?

What makes us humans think we are so special? It is actually embarrassing to hear some people talk as if we are the center of the universe. The
Planet must be laughing at us behind our backs.

Reactions: PoS
For ground car transportation, and mostly. Many people would have to adjust their driving to
accommodate the limitations of battery electric cars.
It is very questionable if a fixed battery would work in a long haul tractor trailer.
Not really that much of an adjustment and the battery loss is way overestimated. Superchargers make the wait far less, just get some snacks along the way.

It is not that ****in hard mah dude.

You do like overcomplicating simple things because you dont like to admit fossil fuels are a problem.

Its the reason they arent making them now, that fiduciary responsibility to shareholders. Imo as long as that fiduciary duty is to shareholders above all else, there is little incentive.
Exxon is changing a refinery unit, to make low emission fuel, and the process is the same as the process for
carbon neutral fuel, only the source of hydrogen differs.
Why would you think their fiduciary responsibility to shareholders would not extend to their ability
to sell finished fuel products even if oil were not available.

Exxon is changing a refinery unit, to make low emission fuel, and the process is the same as the process for
carbon neutral fuel, only the source of hydrogen differs.
Why would you think their fiduciary responsibility to shareholders would not extend to their ability
to sell finished fuel products even if oil were not available.
Low emission fuel aint gonna do shit. We gotta nix coal too. You can keep denying the problem exists by throwing in red herrings or you can help fix the problem.

Government already pre-selected the winner. Fossil fuels are definitely not competing on the same footing because they get favorable treatment.
Describe what favorable treatment you think the fossil fuel companies receive?

Describe what favorable treatment you think the fossil fuel companies receive?
Subsidies, tax breaks, favorable legislation, influence in politics. There is currently no situation where the government isnt favoring one over the other.

Low emission fuel aint gonna do shit.
Please consider that if the refineries of the world can make carbon neutral fuels for less than
the cost of purchasing and refining oil, then ~30% of global CO2 emissions could drop to zero.
Combined with more efficient homes and lighting, and Earth's expanding carbon uptake,
we could be very close to zero CO2 growth. Also this could happen much sooner than
the token gesture of switching all the passenger cars to battery electric.

Subsidies, tax breaks, favorable legislation, influence in politics. There is currently no situation where the government isnt favoring one over the other.
What subsidies (real subsidies) do fossil fuel companies receive?
As for tax breaks, what expenses are they allowed to write off, that are much different than any other business expense.
They drill wells, that many times do not have oil, but they did drill the well, and write of the expense.

Please consider that if the refineries of the world can make carbon neutral fuels for less than
the cost of purchasing and refining oil, then ~30% of global CO2 emissions could drop to zero.
Combined with more efficient homes and lighting, and Earth's expanding carbon uptake,
we could be very close to zero CO2 growth. Also this could happen much sooner than
the token gesture of switching all the passenger cars to battery electric.
Carbon neutral still does nothing to lessen the amount of CO2 which is what needs to be done. Swapping to electric is more than just a token but i love watching you squirm,

What subsidies (real subsidies) do fossil fuel companies receive?
As for tax breaks, what expenses are they allowed to write off, that are much different than any other business expense.
They drill wells, that many times do not have oil, but they did drill the well, and write of the expense.
Do you really need to ask?….

Carbon neutral still does nothing to lessen the amount of CO2 which is what needs to be done. Swapping to electric is more than just a token but i love watching you squirm,
CO2 growth is potentially the issue, current CO2 levels will go down on their own if the growth stops.
Global Greenhouse Gas Emissions by the Transportation Sector
According to this site global transport is 22%, of which cars are 40% of 22% or 8.8% of the total.
So if all the cars in the world became battery electric, AND (Boolean) The cars were charged from carbon free sources,
then it would reduce global emissions by 8.8%, this would amount to a decrease of about 0.8448 GtC per year.
In my scenario, global emissions would be cut by the full 22%, or 2.113 GtC per year.

greenhouse_transport_sector.png

Do you really need to ask?….
Yes! you are the one postulating that these special subsidies and tax deductions exists, validate your statement?

CO2 growth is potentially the issue, current CO2 levels will go down on their own if the growth stops.
Global Greenhouse Gas Emissions by the Transportation Sector
According to this site global transport is 22%, of which cars are 40% of 22% or 8.8% of the total.
So if all the cars in the world became battery electric, AND (Boolean) The cars were charged from carbon free sources,
then it would reduce global emissions by 8.8%, this would amount to a decrease of about 0.8448 GtC per year.
In my scenario, global emissions would be cut by the full 22%, or 2.113 GtC per year.

greenhouse_transport_sector.png
CO2 levels wont go down unless it is captured or escapes. Carbon neutral does not reduce.

Yes! you are the one postulating that these special subsidies and tax deductions exists, validate your statement?
Ok for the sealioning pedant.
Globally, fossil fuel subsidies are were $5.9 trillion or 6.8 percent of GDP in 2020 and are expected to increase to 7.4 percent of GDP in 2025 as the share of fuel consumption in emerging markets (where price gaps are generally larger) continues to climb. Just 8 percent of the 2020 subsidy reflects undercharging for supply costs (explicit subsidies) and 92 percent for undercharging for environmental costs and foregone consumption taxes (implicit subsidies).

This isnt controversial at all lol!

Back
Top Bottom