• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iowa governor signs controversial law shortening early and Election Day voting

you believe three weeks is an unreasonably short amound of time to vote? DIdn't you say your limit is ten days? How you jive those two?
I never said 20 days was unreasonable only that it is a reduction in the access voters have to voting and, in my view, a move to restrict voting rather than enhance security. As I posted above our early voting at the local, neighbourhood polling stations is just 4 days but federal election centers are opened as soon as an election is called and you can vote early in those voting centers every day from the time an election is called until 1 week prior to the election. So we have early voting right through the election cycle. We also have no excuse mail in voting.

Whoa, talking about Iowa election laws on a thread about Iowa election laws is suddenly deflection from the topic of events of Jan 6th (which has nothing whatsoever to do with this thread). Now, that's seriously twisted logic!
I beg to disagree, my post has everything to do with the nature of this thread. What I said, on a thread about election laws being changed under the guise of election fraud, is what I believe the real reason is for those changes. Sorry that dot connection is not your thing.

I never said 20 days was unreasonable only that it is a reduction in the access voters have to voting and, in my view, a move to restrict voting rather than enhance security. As I posted above our early voting at the local, neighbourhood polling stations is just 4 days but federal election centers are opened as soon as an election is called and you can vote early in those voting centers every day from the time an election is called until 1 week prior to the election. So we have early voting right through the election cycle. We also have no excuse mail in voting.
And you have half of the time they have in Iowa. Is that intended to restrict voting in your country?

As much as the violent criminals are yours...
How so? I have no commonality in political, moral or socio
As much as the violent criminals are yours...
How So?
you have a definite commonality with Q believers, while I have none with violent criminals.

And you have half of the time they have in Iowa. Is that intended to restrict voting in your country?
Either I am not expressing my self clearly or you are being deliberately obtuse. Let me assume it is the former and try it this way. We have early voting every single day from the time an election is called until one week before the election at federal election centers. The local, neighbourhood polling stations, the ones we use Election Day, the ones around the corner, are the ones that are also opened four days for early voting.

ETA We have a defined election cycle not less than 36 days and not more than 52 days. Early voting at federal election centers is available every one of those days once an election is called.

Last edited:

It's obvious that Republicans don't believe in democracy, especially in democracy when it involves voting. They don't even try to hide it anymore. The GOP is anti-democratic.

Voting rights and lawyer groups should immediately begin to file lawsuits against all of the new Republican vote suppression legislations (253 suppression bills across 43 states so far).

Rethuglicans hate democracy and will do everything they can get away with to dismantle it.

Either I am not expressing my self clearly or you are being deliberately obtuse. Let me assume it is the former and try it this way. We have early voting every single day from the time an election is called until one week before the election at federal election centers. The local, neighbourhood polling stations, the ones we use Election Day, the ones around the corner, are the ones that are opened four days for early voting.
I have no idea what "from the time an election is called " means. You previously indicated a ten day window for early voting.

have no idea what "from the time an election is called " means. You previously indicated a ten day window for early voting.

No this is what I said in my original post:

"Early voting at the actual polling stations ( not special polls) in each riding is held the 7,8, 9 and 10 days before an election however federal election offices are set up all across the Province and you may vote there any day once an election is called up to, I think, a week before the election"

Our election cycle is defined. Once an election is "called" (there aren't mandatory dates like you have) the election must be held no earlier than, 36 days and not later than 52 days.

I beg to disagree, my post has everything to do with the nature of this thread. What I said, on a thread about election laws being changed under the guise of election fraud, is what I believe the real reason is for those changes. Sorry that dot connection is not your thing.
What does Jan 6th have to do with this thread about changes to Iowa election processes (requesting ballots, changing days from 29 to 20, and shortening the final day by one hour)? Please be specific in connecting those dots.

What does Jan 6th have to do with this thread about changes to Iowa election processes (requesting ballots, changing days from 29 to 20, and shortening the final day by one hour)? Please be specific in connecting those dots.
As I explained, this entire "election integrity" narrative that is being used in Iowa and elsewhere is nothing more than an attempt to exploit the big lie and divert from the impact that big lie had. Trumpers can't face that reality head on so they need an excuse and voter fraud is it.

Then again, let's be honest those are exactly the " types" Republicans don't want voting. As Graham said words to the effect. ...if we don't end mail in voting totally we will never win the WH again....

If they have to making voting hard to win they don't deserve to.

It's hard to claim that you represent people when you want to make it harder to cast their vote to decide who they want to represent them.

They are both attacks on the integrity of the republic.

Both relied on the idea that if people are voting more that elections aren't being fair toward their side.

They are both attacks on the integrity of the republic.

Both rely on the idea that if people are voting more that elections aren't being fair toward their side.
LOL

Meme all you like. You can't have a republic that claims to represent people when you do everything in your power to discourage that they vote.

You can't when they DO vote then attack the seat of power and scream that the elections are fraud.

Elections are the heart of the democratic republic, you can't undermine them and still claim integrity or legitimacy.

Meme all you like. You can't have a republic that claims to represent people when you do everything in your power to discourage that they vote.

You can't when they DO vote then attack the seat of power and scream that the elections are fraud.

Elections are the heart of the democratic republic, you can't undermine them and still claim integrity or legitimacy.

Back in NY wehad zero days of advance voting. You had to show up on election day. Under your theory they must hate the living hell out of the republic and democracy

Back in NY wehad zero days of advance voting. You had to show up on election day. Under your theory they must hate the living hell out of the republic and democracy

I am saying that wanting to make voting easier means you care what your constituents think, and wanting to make it harder means the opposite.

The last election's problem simply wasn't that people had too much access to easy voting.

The purpose of elections is to determine the will of the voters, not to make voting a chore.

I am saying that wanting to make voting easier means you care what your constituents think, wanting to make it harder means the opposite.
So the 19 million constituents of NY had no problem with voting on a single day - election day. But you've got your finger of the pulse of the Iowa and they feel that three weeks of advance voting strikes at the heart of the democratic republic and completely undermines the election's integrity and legitimacy.

Quite a theory you going there.

So the 19 million constituents of NY had no problem with voting on a single day - election day. But you've got your finger of the pulse of the Iowa and they feel that three weeks of advance voting strikes at the heart of the democratic republic and completely undermines the election's integrity and legitimacy.

Quite a theory you going there.

I'm saying that their attempt to make voting harder instead of easier is wrong and the notion damages the integrity of the republic yes.

Which would also logically mean I would be supportive of other measures that make voting easier everywhere.

I'm saying that their attempt to make voting harder instead of easier is wrong and the notion damages the integrity of the republic yes.

Which would also logically mean I would be supportive of other measures that make voting easier everywhere.
There is no support that cutting advance voting from 29 days to 20 make voting any harder. Sorry, but the left has zero credibility on this issue. Back when voter IDs were being debated, you guys pulled out the race card and made the ridiculous claim the minorities were bring targeted and would be be disproportional impacted "voter suppression." In fact, the date has conclusively shown minority voter participation has significantly increased and actually outpaces white voters in some places.

There is no support that cutting advance voting from 29 days to 20 make voting any harder. Sorry, but the left has zero credibility on this issue. Back when voter IDs were being debated, you guys pulled out the race card and made the ridiculous claim the minorities were bring targeted and would be be disproportional impacted "voter suppression." In fact, the date has conclusively shown minority voter participation has significantly increased and actually outpaces white voters in some places.

It's not supported? It's exactly what it does.

And, if you want people to have ID's to vote than make sure everyone can get them and give them time before implementing them.

The right has absolutely no creditability on this because they consistently want to make voting harder after they lose elections.

Try better policies, it makes you look less like a mustache twirling villan.

the GOP is going to force us to federalize election laws, not that I would mind....

It's not supported? It's exactly what it does.

And, if you want people to have ID's to vote than make sure everyone can get them and give them time before implementing them.

The right has absolutely no creditability on this because they consistently want to make voting harder after they lose elections.

Try better policies, it makes you look less like a mustache twirling villan.
It doesn't make voting any harder. Like Voter ID did not making voting any harder. And you wonder why rational people don't take the left's arguments seriously?

It doesn't make voting any harder. Like Voter ID did not making voting any harder. And you wonder why rational people don't take the left's arguments seriously?

Your position is that having fewer days to vote and less time on election day doesn't make voting harder?

I certainly can't argue with a position that is on it's face absurd. Obviously the more time you have available to vote the easier it would be.

So, having less time would make it harder. I'm not really understanding how this is a debatable point...

Your position is that having fewer days to vote and less time on election day doesn't make voting harder?

I certainly can't argue with a position that is on it's face absurd. Obviously the more time you have available to vote the easier it would be.

So, having less time would make it harder. I'm not really understanding how this is a debatable point...
Because you've clearly been indocrinated with left wing talking points. It's not harder at all, not even less convenient. To say it's "harder" to vote in a three week period instead of a four week period is blatantly absurd. One doesn't even have to get your fat ass off your couch to vote.

Back
Top Bottom