• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Increasing weights

StandUpChuck

Tart with a Heart
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Please don't laugh or snicker at how weak I am. I've always had an incredibly weak upper body and am currently working on that.

I started working out with weights earlier this year by using 3 lb dumbbells (told ya I was weak :3oops:). After a few weeks, I was able to increase that to 5 lb weights. For some exercises, I'm now finding that the 5 pounders are a little light so I've been meaning to go get some 8 pounders. This morning I came downstairs for my coffee, and there were 2 new 10 pound dumbbells waiting for me. They are hard to lift, but I can do a small # of bicep curls OK.

My question is, even though it's only 2 pounds less, should I get some 8's to ease into my increase, or should I just gnash my teeth and work with the 10's?

Thanks! :)

Please don't laugh or snicker at how weak I am. I've always had an incredibly weak upper body and am currently working on that.

I started working out with weights earlier this year by using 3 lb dumbbells (told ya I was weak :3oops:). After a few weeks, I was able to increase that to 5 lb weights. For some exercises, I'm now finding that the 5 pounders are a little light so I've been meaning to go get some 8 pounders. This morning I came downstairs for my coffee, and there were 2 new 10 pound dumbbells waiting for me. They are hard to lift, but I can do a small # of bicep curls OK.

My question is, even though it's only 2 pounds less, should I get some 8's to ease into my increase, or should I just gnash my teeth and work with the 10's?

Thanks! :)

Just work your way up if you are uncomfortable with the heavier weights. The last thing you want to do is overtrain and injure yourself, losing what you have gained and worked hard for. Going "heavy"/low reps has its benefits too, increasing muscle tone better than light weight/high reps which works muscular endurance. Or maybe use the 10lb weights, and drop down to 5lb weights during later reps if you don't feel like buying 8lb weights.

I'd probably get the 8lbs though. You can always use lighter weights in a variety of ways that can wear down even a seasoned weight lifter.

And don't worry about being "weak". We all start somewhere. I was a very spindly child with almost no upper body strength. Although I don't quite have an Adonis like figure yet, I am relatively strong and big, muscularly. The biggest mistake you see in a gym(particualrly with guys) is improper technique used to put up more weight. The numbers on the side of the dumbell aren't as important as the technique you use and the maximal burn you feel.

Also, its important that women do strength training for reasons other than just losing weight/looking good. Many women are under the assumption that if they lift weights, they will end up looking like a female body builder. Particularly when it comes to chest/shoulder exercises. That level of muscularity takes an intense dedication to a weight training regimen coupled with a very controlled diet, and intense cutting phase. The benefits of weight training for your average woman is going to help strengthen bones. Placing stress on muscles and across joints is going to stimulate bone cell growth. Osteoporosis affects women much more than it does men, for a variety of reasons. Most notably though is because of the greater muscle mass in men, than women. So women actually do a disservice to themselves when they elect cardio over weights(traditionally speaking). So if you ever feel like you are tired of weights/not seeing the results you want, keep going with them if only to help prevent bone loss later in life. Change up your regimen to keep from plateuing, but don't ever give up weight training.

Last edited:
Outstanding response, Crip. :applaud I'm going to find a way to thank you several times for that.

My 10 year old son is very spindly, so I've been letting him use my 3s when I work out. He needs to work on his form, though. Looking at your pic, I'd never have guessed you were ever a bony kid like my son. Well done.

I'm trying not to focus on external results as much as just getting stronger, though I will admit to staring at that bump where my bicep is. :nails I went to dig up a rose bush and plant it elsewhere last weekend and was extremely pleased with how much easier that task was this year. And I can carry my 62 pound kid upstairs with no problem (well, he hates it :lol:). It's things like that, that keep me picking up those little dumbbells in the morning.

So I'll get some 8s for other exercises and will keep the 10s for low rep bicep curls and calf raises. Thanks! :thumbs:

ps yes, I'm concerned up bulking up my shoulders. Though I know it's physically unlikely, the idea still freaks me out a bit. :blushing:

Last edited:
You may just want to avoid those types of isolation exercises altogether. Use body weight exercises such as push-up, dips, pull-ups (assisted if need be), body-weight squats, etc. that engage multiple muscle groups.

When you do use weights make sure that you use a weight that allows you just finish a set, meaning that your last rep is, indeed, the last one you could do. Then you'll know you're using the appropriate weight.

Lastly, when doing push-ups, pu;;-ups, etc., use perfect form. Steady lifts, pulls, pushes.

Oh, and a subscription to Mens Health wouldn't hurt.

Good luck!

I am using machines and pulleys, with light weights, to increase the range of motion in my shoulders. I use 5 to 30 pounds, depending on the angle, and I be sure to not put on more weight than would make me strain to do 12 reps. Some of miy shoulder muscles seem to atrophy, get weak, if I don't exercise thier angel to some extent. Then I get surprised that my overall shoulder strenght is not up to ordinary tasks, if I have neglected light angle shoulder exercizes

I look to get as many different angles for my shoulders, as I can.

I like to build up my pectroal muscles, on the front of my chest. I have found free weights on a backaward slanting board, with my head down, pushing upwards, or pusing straight down, from my chest to my waist, with a cross fly machine, with both machine arms in the full up position. Incredible Hulk has some exercises.

About 2/3 through, the Hulk is pushing a machine with weights, striaght down to his side.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKYskd4ajNY&feature=related"]YouTube- Lou Ferrigno "The Hulk" Profile and Gym Workout[/nomedia]

With the over head cables, I get a good pull coming down in front of my stomach, then let up, and push to the sides for the final extension.

To build more muscle mass, using heavier weights, with straining to get 3 or 4 reps, is one way to do it. Doing lighter weights, with more repititions, to warm up the muscles, then straining with the heavier weigts. Waiting some 5 minutes between warm up and max weight, is something I heard is good for football players.

I use to lift weights and even lifted with a buddy that was a champion bench lifter. I had started on the machines and then moved to free weights. I tried to be careful but still ended up injuring my rotator cuff. I haven't really liften since.

Lots of great info here, thank you all so much!

I did use the 10s for a few exercises today but found I had to stop after a 45 minute workout when I usually go for an hour. That's probably more efficient anyway.

I like it. I didn't think I'd like working with weights, but you just can't beat that feeling afterward. It's freaking addictive.

Chuck,

You will not typically "get bulky" if you do not have a diet that accommodates such growth. I say not because of the genetic factors associated to muscle tone.

But remember; muscle composition is another factor. High rep/lower weight movements will require more skeletal (slow twitch) receptors to fire. The concentration of slow/fast twitch muscle fibers is actually quite for all humans yet once again genetics also play a role.

Just take the proper steps to minimize your risk of injury.

Lots of good advice here for ya, but I'm not sure if anyone asked about your goal? If your goal is to tone up and have lean muscle, then you want more reps/less weight. If your goal is to build muscle mass, then you want more weight/fewer reps.

I tend to build muscle mass easier than most women, so I have to be careful with the weight lest I end up bulky. So, that's just something I've learned from experience and thought I'd pass along. LOL

Lots of good advice here for ya, but I'm not sure if anyone asked about your goal? If your goal is to tone up and have lean muscle, then you want more reps/less weight. If your goal is to build muscle mass, then you want more weight/fewer reps.

You have it backwards;)

You have it backwards;)

No...?? Less weight, more reps is good for leaner muscle. But if you want bulk, then you go for more weight, which will inevitably lead to fewer reps.

When I was bulking up, every trainer in the gym told me to knock down my weight and increase the reps.

Even my current workout regimen leader states with every exercise that includes weight that if we want bulk, use more weight and do fewer reps.

No...?? Less weight, more reps is good for leaner muscle. But if you want bulk, then you go for more weight, which will inevitably lead to fewer reps.

This has been a common misconception in sports science since the early 1900's. Heavy weights stimulate fast twitch muscle fibers (anaerobic/high ATP). Low weight/high rep requires less oxygen (less atp) and is far less anaerobic than heavy lifting. There is more muscular stimulation due to the conposition of muscles being heavily concentrated by slow twitch (endurance factor) fibers (as far as total volume is concerned).

When I was bulking up, every trainer in the gym told me to knock down my weight and increase the reps.

Well now you know! And by high wight/low rep i am talking less than 7 reps. If you only do high weight sets, i promise you will gain very minimal weight.

Even my current workout regimen leader states with every exercise that includes weight that if we want bulk, use more weight and do fewer reps.

They are unaware of the facinating breakthroughs in sports science. Besides, women do not possess the testosterone necessary to really bulk up. You would have to be eating a high calorie, high protein, high fat diet in accordance.

This has been a common misconception in sports science since the early 1900's. Heavy weights stimulate fast twitch muscle fibers (anaerobic/high ATP). Low weight/high rep requires less oxygen (less atp) and is far less anaerobic than heavy lifting. There is more muscular stimulation due to the conposition of muscles being heavily concentrated by slow twitch (endurance factor) fibers (as far as total volume is concerned).

Well now you know! And by high wight/low rep i am talking less than 7 reps. If you only do high weight sets, i promise you will gain very minimal weight.

They are unaware of the facinating breakthroughs in sports science.
Well yes, I guess everyone but you has it wrong, then. eh? ;)

Besides, women do not possess the testosterone necessary to really bulk up. You would have to be eating a high calorie, high protein, high fat diet in accordance.
And yet, I do bulk up pretty easily. ;) It's something I've always hated about myself. I work out and end up looking *bigger*. My arms/shoulders and quads get huge quick.

So, since I don't figure I'm an anomaly, I thought I'd pass on information to help another woman NOT to bulk up if she doesn't want to.

Last edited:
Well yes, I guess everyone but you has it wrong, then. eh? ;)

Did they bother to mention the difference between slow and fast twitch skeletal muscle fiber? If not, i would say they were behind in the times;)

And yet, I do bulk up pretty easily. ;) It's something I've always hated about myself. I work out and end up looking *bigger*. My arms/shoulders and quads get huge quick.

So, since I don't figure I'm an anomaly, I thought I'd pass on information to help another woman NOT to bulk up if she doesn't want to.

I thought i'd pass on information to minimize common misconceptions in regards to sports science.

My body responds very well to exercise, so I do anticipate a few bulges. However, I can't seem to get my calories up much higher, so I don't think I'll get big. I just want to make sure my shoulders don't end up looking like this:

Picture-531.jpg

My goals are always changing. I really just want some strength, and some better muscle definition. Oh, and I want to be able to do more push ups, but the weights don't seem to be helping with that.

I tend to build muscle mass easier than most women, so I have to be careful with the weight lest I end up bulky. So, that's just something I've learned from experience and thought I'd pass along. LOL

Goldenboy is right. it's popularly backwards.

People misconstrue "getting lean" with "building lean muscle". Getting lean does not actually increase actual resting muscle tone. In order to "build muscle" you need to create a certain "atmosphere" internally, through anaerobic exercise. You have to "bulk up" for better muscle tone. You can strip down your bf% to 'rediscover" the tone you already have through simple calorie burning(many ways to achieve this), but you won't really increase it as well as you would through a low-rep/high weight situation. A sprinter has better resting muscle tone than a marathon runner. You can observe the resting muscle tone in both, but when clinically measured, it is bigger in the sprinter. I say bigger, because what is "better" is a subjective quality. some prefer the smaller, lean look. but thats more about getting "down" to the muscle tone, rather than bringing it out.

Goldenboy is right. it's popularly backwards.

People misconstrue "getting lean" with "building lean muscle". Getting lean does not actually increase actual resting muscle tone. In order to "build muscle" you need to create a certain "atmosphere" internally, through anaerobic exercise. You have to "bulk up" for better muscle tone. You can strip down your bf% to 'rediscover" the tone you already have through simple calorie burning(many ways to achieve this), but you won't really increase it as well as you would through a low-rep/high weight situation. A sprinter has better resting muscle tone than a marathon runner. You can observe the resting muscle tone in both, but when clinically measured, it is bigger in the sprinter. I say bigger, because what is "better" is a subjective quality. some prefer the smaller, lean look. but thats more about getting "down" to the muscle tone, rather than bringing it out.

That's exactly what I said in bold.

As odd as it may sound the rep range used is for the most part irrelevant. If you train with the necessary intensity and get stronger within the rep range you use you will grow, it doesn't matter if your using triples or sets of 20.

Did they bother to mention the difference between slow and fast twitch skeletal muscle fiber? If not, i would say they were behind in the times;)

I thought i'd pass on information to minimize common misconceptions in regards to sports science.

Here is a Wikipedia Info on Fast Twitch Skelatal Muscle Fibre.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeletal_muscle]Skeletal muscle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Here is an article about Fast and Slow Twitch muscle fibre

Here ia an article about Muscle types

Muscle Types

Slow Twitch vs Fast Twitch muscles

Skeletal Muscle Fiber Type

Chuck,

The concentration of slow/fast twitch muscle fibers is actually quite for all humans yet once again genetics also play a role.

I am not clear on the meaning of this sentence. Seems important, could you expand on these concepts?

Last edited:
My body responds very well to exercise, so I do anticipate a few bulges. However, I can't seem to get my calories up much higher, so I don't think I'll get big. I just want to make sure my shoulders don't end up looking like this:

My goals are always changing. I really just want some strength, and some better muscle definition. Oh, and I want to be able to do more push ups, but the weights don't seem to be helping with that.

What is undesirable about the shoulders in the picture?

Why are push-ups important to you?

Fitness Goals do not have stay the same, as your life priorites change. One of your current goals is to be more shapely?

. Oh, and I want to be able to do more push ups, but the weights don't seem to be helping with that.

Many people like push-ups. Personally, I do not use push-ups. Push-ups are essentially bench presses, of a weight that is pre-determined by the mass weight of the upper body.

I was not able to find an earlier Hulk video, in which he was standing, and pushing a down a cable from above his head, holding a bar with both hands, attached to the cable. He was pushing the cable down from his chest, to below his waist. That gave him a full range flexing of his Pectoral muscles on the front of the chest. During that early interview, Lou Ferrigno said he avoided doing bench presses. The reas, I surmised, was because bench presses only stress theupper part of the pectoral muscle range. I have seen pictures of men who buld muscles with bench presses, and their pectotal musles are bulging only at the top halve of the full pectoral range. So since Push-ups are essentially bench presses, I prefer to keep the bench presses light, so as not to over-emphasize the bulging of the top half of my pectoral muscles.

Here is a reference to early Exercizes by Lou Ferrigno

Lou Ferrigno's classic chest routine | Flex | Find Articles at BNET

Yesterday, I developed a blue-collar chest exercize. I was wiping down some equipment, with a bucket and an old wash cloth. I rinsed the wash cloth in the bucket of soapy water, then folded the wash cloth two or three times, then grasped the folded wash-cloth with two hands. I twisted my wrists in opposite directions, to wring out the wash cloth, then as I tightened the twisting force of my wrists, I moved my hands, with dynamic tension on my arms, from my chest to my waist, over the top of the bucket. The water from the rag went into the bucket, and my wrist, arms and pectoral amuscles tightened in dynamic tension. Then I reversed the direction of twisting my hands, and moved my arms again up to my chest, and down to my waist, in front of my stomach, and close to my stomach, similar to the vieo I had seen of the Hulk.

I am not clear on the meaning of this sentence. Seems important, could you expand on these concepts?

Slow twitch fibers volumize at a much faster rate due to the nature of its intended purpose; endurance. More stimulation is required to reach a level of "breakdown" via depleted oxygen (critical for ATP) creating lactic acid.

My comment was pertaining that your muscular composition is generally fixed. Myofibrillar hypertrophy is achieved through anaerobic activity (heavy weights, sprints, plyometrics, etc...). The type of hypertrophy sought by body builders is referred to as sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. I am assuming these people seek the "bulky" muscles described throughout this thread.

Slow twitch fibers volumize at a much faster rate due to the nature of its intended purpose; endurance. More stimulation is required to reach a level of "breakdown" via depleted oxygen (critical for ATP) creating lactic acid.

My comment was pertaining that your muscular composition is generally fixed. Myofibrillar hypertrophy is achieved through anaerobic activity (heavy weights, sprints, plyometrics, etc...). The type of hypertrophy sought by body builders is referred to as sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. I am assuming these people seek the "bulky" muscles described throughout this thread.

Here ia a Link to Wikipedia on "hypertrophy"

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_hypertrophy]Muscle hypertrophy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

"the comparison of powerlifters to bodybuilders. There is a noticeable difference in physique development. The bodybuilders show supreme muscular and physique development in comparison to the powerlifters; but powerlifters are usually stronger. There are numerous factors that contribute to the supreme strength displayed by the powerlifter.

These factors include mechanical advantages such as limb length and tendon insertions. A higher rate of fast twitch muscle fibers and better neural efficiency can also contribute to the disparity of strength between the two athletes."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hale6.htm

"Lifting weights is a stress, and to counteract the stress and as part of the super compensation, hormones are released. Growth hormone, insulin, insulin-like growth factor, testosterone and cortisol are the hormones released after or during weight training.

Cortisol breaks carbohydrates down for fuel. Growth hormone, insulin, and insulin-like growth factor work together to inhibit the breakdown of muscle by increasing nutrient flow into the muscle. "

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa7.htm

Last edited:

ATP (Adenosine triphosphate)

"ATP is a nucleotide that performs many essential roles in the cell.
•It is the major energy currency of the cell, providing the energy for most of the energy-consuming activities of the cell.
•It is one of the monomers used in the synthesis of RNA and, after conversion to deoxyATP (dATP), DNA.
•It regulates many biochemical pathways. "

ATP

Muscles

Lifting heavier weights above 60% of Mximum weight cuts off the Oxygen to the muscles, and damages the muscles. Damaging the muscles helps to build stronger muscles, or larger muscles, because the muscles of the Human are completely rebuilt by the body every 30 days, so damage to muscles by heavy exertion, signals the body to build more muscles. Slow and Fast Muscle fibers react differently to stress, like lack of oxygen, for heavy exercize.

Light exercize, under 60% of Max, does not deprive the muscles of oxygen, but creates a message of more needed muscle tissue, by the processing of fuel for the muscles.

Is this what personal trainers are suposed to know?

Last edited:

So Sarcoplamic hypertrophy builds bulkier muscles, and is Sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is achieved by lighter weights over 12 reps, less than 60% of Maximum.

Depleted oxygen is achieved by lifting over 60% of what can be lifted, maximum. Depleted Oxygen builds stronger muscles, but not the bulky muscles desired by body builders.

Am I getting closer to getting it right?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom