• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In Russia, Obama’s Star Power Does Not Translate

akyron

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Obama’s Star Power Does Not Translate

“We don’t really understand why Obama is such a star,” said Kirill Zagorodnov, 25, one of the graduates. “It’s a question of trust, how he behaves, how he positions himself, that typical charisma, which in Russia is often parodied. Russians really are not accustomed to it. It is like he is trying to manipulate the public.”

"Asked by one Moscow newspaper what they expected to come out of Mr. Obama’s visit, most respondents had the same answer: traffic jams."

"They just think that America has gone crazy.”

"billed as his third major foreign policy address after speeches in Cairo and Prague, was not shown live on any of the major Russian channels, to the White House’s disappointment"

“It is a jaded political culture that has had a very hard experience with a system that professed universal idealism while delivering unbearable suffering,” said Mr. Malinowski,

Yes so lets move our government towards that. We can all use some more "unbearable suffering".

So, during the campaign, it was considered a bad thing that people in Europe and around the world liked him. Now, some people in a country don't like him and it's still bad? The conservatives can't have their cake and eat it too. Silly.

people in a country don't like him and it's still bad?

Many of these these young russians seem to see quite clearly through the veil of bs and give me hope for the future. The two russians I have had personal experience with were quite on top of things as well.

So, during the campaign, it was considered a bad thing that people in Europe and around the world liked him. Now, some people in a country don't like him and it's still bad? The conservatives can't have their cake and eat it too. Silly.

Get over it. Your Messiah is bad for America. End of story.

Many of these these young russians seem to see quite clearly through the veil of bs and give me hope for the future. The two russians I have had personal experience with were quite on top of things as well.

It has very little to do with Obama and very much to do with Russian politics. As one person said in that article of yours, the man is perhaps more irrelevant than we think he is.

Last edited:
The measure of success or failure regarding Obama's trip to Russia isn't determined by his star power, it's what he accomplishes while he is there. Given how bad relations with Russia have been over the last few years I'm surprised they want to hear him speak at all.

Well and in all honesty, Russia has its own distinct culture and aspirations. There are limits to the effects of an American politician to affect cultures that see themselves as particularly unique or distrusting of foreigners like Russia is.

I'm surprised they want to hear him speak at all.

They did not seem to really want to hear him speak. It was a captive graduating audience.

We simply tired of politicans especially American ones. American politicans talk too much about democracy, freedom, values, changes, human rights and other bs and in the same time they start wars, cherish military criminals and nationalists, broke promises... Personally I don't give a damn about who is an American president - Reagan, Clinton, Bush, Obama etc... They are all the same, just different face and voice.

Reset... eh... Let's reset our relations, you'll forget everything bad that we did and we'll continue the same way. That's what I hear.

Can someone from US explain to me what is so exiting about Obama?

P.S. Our politicans aren't better.

Today I have seen a picture of that famous red "Reset" button which Clinton gave to Lavrov. The English text on the button is "Reset" but the Russian text "peregruzka" means "overload". They weren't able to find a person with a decent knowledge of Russian, can you believe it? I have two explanations. First one - either they are simply stupid or they aren't educated at all. Second one - they simply don't care and the whole idea with "Reset" means nothing. Both variants are very insulting.

Today I have seen a picture of that famous red "Reset" button which Clinton gave to Lavrov. The English text on the button is "Reset" but the Russian text "peregruzka" means "overload". They weren't able to find a person with a decent knowledge of Russian, can you believe it? I have two explanations. First one - either they are simply stupid or they aren't educated at all. Second one - they simply don't care and the whole idea with "Reset" means nothing. Both variants are very insulting.

If you listen to the US Media like ABC, CNN and MSNBC, you'll hear them talk about how "smart" this Administration is.

So going by that, I think that option 2 is would be the one I'd go with were I you.

I don't really give a crap what Russians think of the US President one way or the other. Not that I'm singling out Russians on this, of course.

Back
Top Bottom