• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Implied consent in marriage

Every act of sex needs consent individually. Just because you had sex 8 hours ago or the day before doesn't in any way suggest that no consent is necessary or that the partner cannot refuse.

Did I not say in the OP that either of the two could withdraw the consent at any time? Where in that whole OP, where I repeatedly say that one can withdraw the consent at anytime, is there an implication that they cannot refuse?

Yes., Absolutely correct. Every time.
And exactly where is this line supposed to be. Before a kiss? If one thing leads to another and neither party pauses to ask consent do we have a mutual rape?

Whut?

Can you not tell when your partner is "in the mood"? Do you not communicate well enough to make that a nonverbal interaction?

That's just sad.
This is exactly my point. Outside of a marriage this can lead to an accusation that consent was not obtained. My question is whether or not that consent has to be obtained each and every time after one is married.

Did I not say in the OP that either of the two could withdraw the consent at any time? Where in that whole OP, where I repeatedly say that one can withdraw the consent at anytime, is there an implication that they cannot refuse?

Then what is the problem?
And exactly where is this line supposed to be. Before a kiss? If one thing leads to another and neither party pauses to ask consent do we have a mutual rape?

Yes. You cannot have pshycal consta with another person without their consent. Do you not understand or have the ability to read body language? Why is this so difficult for you to understand and accept?

I guess my question would be how is one trying to engage in sex? To me, that requires a 'can we', 'you want to' , or something along that line. So yes, consent needs to be given.
So according to this the one spouse can't come up to the other, begin nuzzles and such maybe even some fondling (as may be the dynamic), the other says nothing but sex happens, and that wrong because the other never said a word? Or is maybe that the implied consent in play with the other having the ability to say "not tonight" and thus withdrawing that implied consent?

So, by the numbers how often is this happening either way? More importantly who dreamed up the concept in the first place? (Hint, it was not women.)
Actually it was, at least in my case, from a conversation about consent and other related matters. A woman in the discussion noted that simply by marrying she has given an implied consent but she is still allowed to withdraw it at anytime, including in the middle of sex. It sparked a whole new line of discussion with us. So I thought I'd bring the topic to my debate sites and see what others said.

I can tell when he is in the mood, just as him with me, and he is more than capable of saying no, either verbally or non-verbally, that I respect. That respect and understanding is the basis of any decent relationship.

How could it possibly be otherwise?
Would that not be an implied consent since it's not explicit? And you just noted that he has the ability to withdraw it. So how is that different from what I asked?

So according to this the one spouse can't come up to the other, begin nuzzles and such maybe even some fondling (as may be the dynamic), the other says nothing but sex happens, and that wrong because the other never said a word? Or is maybe that the implied consent in play with the other having the ability to say "not tonight" and thus withdrawing that implied consent?

I'm assuming here that the nuzzlee is nuzzling back.

Edited to rephrase

Actually it was, at least in my case, from a conversation about consent and other related matters. A woman in the discussion noted that simply by marrying she has given an implied consent but she is still allowed to withdraw it at anytime, including in the middle of sex. It sparked a whole new line of discussion with us. So I thought I'd bring the topic to my debate sites and see what others said.

I am not interested in anecdotal evidence, I asked you a direct question.

Would that not be an implied consent since it's not explicit? And you just noted that he has the ability to withdraw it. So how is that different from what I asked?
If you are in a sexual relationship with the person dont you know their signals by now? I would be very insulted if my SO or partner had to ask verbally for consent because he could not read my body language or sounds or that was a response to his touch/stimulus.

If one partner silently goes along with intimacy, then that implies consent. But consent can be withdrawn at any time by either partner too. Just as one partner can come on to the the other, the other partner can shy away or rebuke any physical advances, which implies consent is not given.

While I am all for noting the different forms of marriage (legal, religious, social), in this context we are only focusing on the legal, which has no requirement for sex. IOW, legally a marriage is a marriage whether sex happens or not. Even within the specific context of the marriage, the implied consent is there (assuming it exists) whether that consent is used or not. We're exploring whether or not it exists.

I assume that is a legal grounds for divorce.
In the context of marriage, consummation means the actualization of marriage. It is the first act of sexual intercourse after marriage between a husband and wife. Consummation is particularly relevant under canon law, where failure to consummate a marriage is a ground for divorce or an annulment.

I'm assuming here that the nuzzlee is nuzzling back.

That would be implied consent, would it not? Isn't the current claim that consent must be explicit and not implied? That one can not assume that cooperation is consent because the person might be scared to not cooperate let (s)he be hurt by the person for being rejected/denied? That a lack of "no" or physical resistance does not mean "yes"?

I am not interested in anecdotal evidence, I asked you a direct question.
You asked:
More importantly who dreamed up the concept in the first place? (Hint, it was not women.)
I answered that direct question very directly for my experience. Whether others have independently come up with the question or position has nothing to do with where I got the idea.

As to:
So, by the numbers how often is this happening either way?

What does that matter? Is it any less rape if it is another woman raping a woman? Less of a problem if a man is raping a man? Not a worry if a woman is raping a man? If you are more worried about whether more men are rapists then women instead of worrying about the crime of rape itself, then you are already part of the problem.

While I am all for noting the different forms of marriage (legal, religious, social), in this context we are only focusing on the legal, which has no requirement for sex. IOW, legally a marriage is a marriage whether sex happens or not. Even within the specific context of the marriage, the implied consent is there (assuming it exists) whether that consent is used or not. We're exploring whether or not it exists.
That's not true. In some states not engaging in sex for some period of time is grounds for divorce.

You asked:

I answered that direct question very directly for my experience. Whether others have independently come up with the question or position has nothing to do with where I got the idea.

As to:

What does that matter? Is it any less rape if it is another woman raping a woman? Less of a problem if a man is raping a man? Not a worry if a woman is raping a man? If you are more worried about whether more men are rapists then women instead of worrying about the crime of rape itself, then you are already part of the problem.

So now you are convinced there is no such thing as implied consent? (Make up your mind.)

If you are in a sexual relationship with the person dont you know their signals by now? I would be very insulted if my SO or partner had to ask verbally for consent because he could not read my body language or sounds or that was a response to his touch/stimulus.
But isn't that the argument for the current level of getting consent? Isn't the call out there that we shouldn't assume that a lack of "no" or resistance means "yes"? Is it not the claim, especially in the context of wives being raped by husbands, that she might not resist or say "no" simply because she fears to and that it is rape because of that? That she might even cooperate in order to not get further hurt? Is not that the purpose behind the explicit consent demand currently out there?

If one partner silently goes along with intimacy, then that implies consent. But consent can be withdrawn at any time by either partner too. Just as one partner can come on to the the other, the other partner can shy away or rebuke any physical advances, which implies consent is not given.
See my responses to Lisa and Demon just a couple of posts back.

I assume that is a legal grounds for divorce.
Which is still irrelevant to the topic at hand. While it certainly can be grounds for divorce, sex or consummation is not required by the law. A lack of such doesn't change the legal status of the relationship. The question is about whether the consent to sex within a marriage is implied by the fact that they are married, regardless of whether that consent is acted upon or not.

That's not true. In some states not engaging in sex for some period of time is grounds for divorce.
See my previous post to soylentgreen

But isn't that the argument for the current level of getting consent? Isn't the call out there that we shouldn't assume that a lack of "no" or resistance means "yes"? Is it not the claim, especially in the context of wives being raped by husbands, that she might not resist or say "no" simply because she fears to and that it is rape because of that? That she might even cooperate in order to not get further hurt? Is not that the purpose behind the explicit consent demand currently out there?
If a woman is in fear of her husband and is saying “yes” when she doesn’t want to have sex to avoid getting hurt, there are much larger problems at play than “implied” or “verbal” consent…and neither implied nor verbal consent are the answer to the problem.

So now you are convinced there is no such thing as implied consent? (Make up your mind.)
Go back and look. I have yet to say whether I believe that there is such a thing or not. I've not given my position on the matter. Only asked the question, and then asked questions based on the argument given for or against the concept, or called out those who either ignored what was written or presented what I wrote as different from what was actually presented.

Go back and look. I have yet to say whether I believe that there is such a thing or not. I've not given my position on the matter. Only asked the question, and then asked questions based on the argument given for or against the concept, or called out those who either ignored what was written or presented what I wrote as different from what was actually presented.

Then come down from the cheap seats, drop the anecdotal arguments, and tell us why you think there is or is not such a thing as implied consent.

Which is still irrelevant to the topic at hand. While it certainly can be grounds for divorce, sex or consummation is not required by the law. A lack of such doesn't change the legal status of the relationship. The question is about whether the consent to sex within a marriage is implied by the fact that they are married, regardless of whether that consent is acted upon or not.
It’s not irrelevant to the topic. The fact that a marriage can be dissolved if there is no sex is evidence that, absent understanding otherwise, consent is implied.

Back
Top Bottom