• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm new to debate forums and having problems.

craig

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I think I am having a problem with the technology of this forum to debate a topic that I post. I post a topic and my initial argument and expect to develop that argument as I am asked questions and ask other questions. I consider all of my answers to be my argument. The problem I am having is that my answers are dispersed by each thread created by a new question and so my argument is fragmented into different conversations and never delivered in order or complete in any single conversation. This becomes obvious by new questions the longer the debate continues. Am I using the technology incorrectly or is it not suitable for this purpose?

@craig:

I'm a wee bit confused. Are you starting a thread on one specific topic but expecting it to continually bifurcate into new topics as part of a "grand idea"? Or are you posting a "grand idea" topic and trying to avoid tangents and derailments by starting new threads to flesh out other facets of the "grand idea"? Until I understand better what your source of frustration is, there is little I can offer in the way of advice. Could you link to a thread of yours on this forum which has gone awry and describe your problem using the thread as a road map to illustrate your what is frustrating you?

Hi, and a belated welcome to the forum.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

I think I am having a problem with the technology of this forum to debate a topic that I post. I post a topic and my initial argument and expect to develop that argument as I am asked questions and ask other questions. I consider all of my answers to be my argument. The problem I am having is that my answers are dispersed by each thread created by a new question and so my argument is fragmented into different conversations and never delivered in order or complete in any single conversation. This becomes obvious by new questions the longer the debate continues. Am I using the technology incorrectly or is it not suitable for this purpose?

I don’t know how the technology is related to the problem you perceive and am not sure I understand about the possibility of your thread turning into others, somehow, so I need clarity on those parts of your concern.

To avoid what I understand your “fragmentation” to be, I’d recommend sticking with the topic, as is a forum requirement, and stay on point. So, avoid tangents and posters hijacking, on purpose or not, your topic and trying to change the subject. It a post is not germane, say so. If an answer is incongruent, non-sequitur or not pertinent, reply so. If your question is not answered, don’t answer any following question of theirs. If others demand evidence from you to support your claim, which is your burden, don’t do so if they’ve yet to do the same for a claim they made before you. In fact, I might not provide evidence for a claim I make, or even answer questions, on a future thread if the poster has a history of not doing so themselves and I let them know that. Stick with the significance and weight of the evidence and be clear on what are the facts and definition. What people mean by what words they use and what is the actual definition of those words. In all that, most important is context, being what comes before and after what is said that give its meaning, and don’t let what you mean be taken what out of context. If you do all that and still have not arrived at where you want to be, then you’ve done all you can and just walk away. Some posters just keep at you and keep at you, so I just learn to walk away earlier than going through the whole rigmarole with them.

If I’ve been of no help, I need clarity.

@craig:

I'm a wee bit confused. Are you starting a thread on one specific topic but expecting it to continually bifurcate into new topics as part of a "grand idea"? Or are you posting a "grand idea" topic and trying to avoid tangents and derailments by starting new threads to flesh out other facets of the "grand idea"? Until I understand better what your source of frustration is, there is little I can offer in the way of advice. Could you link to a thread of yours on this forum which has gone awry and describe your problem using the thread as a road map to illustrate your what is frustrating you?

Hi, and a belated welcome to the forum.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
Hi. Nice to meet you too!
I think the problem is that since I started a topic it has had lots of comments from different people and I have had a backlog to respond to. So it isn't even possible for someone to follow all of my argument and in order. So it seems this technology is not able to replicate the traditional forum that Socrates made so famous. And that should have not surprised me had I thought about it so I was disappointed.

Hi. Nice to meet you too!
I think the problem is that since I started a topic it has had lots of comments from different people and I have had a backlog to respond to. So it isn't even possible for someone to follow all of my argument and in order. So it seems this technology is not able to replicate the traditional forum that Socrates made so famous. And that should have not surprised me had I thought about it so I was disappointed.

craig:

Is every reply you're getting germane to the topic under debate? If not, then do not reply to all the replies you have received. If several replies can be answered with one post by you, then group them together to make one reply to the many. This can be done using the reply tab's advanced features or by using the "@" symbol before their usernames. If another poster steps in and makes an argument for you with which you agree then thank them with a "like" and if necessary quote them and say, "Good point!" or "Hear, hear!" which takes little effort and little time.

In order to limit the scope and irrelevence of possible replies, a well thought out and well defined original post (OP) can be helpful. Define your terms and definitions clearly in order to avoid replies asking for clarification. Make your debate topic definite, discreet and with clear boundries so that the debate has less of a chance to mushroom out of control. Avoid sensational or unnecessarily provocative titles and OPs which will attract those offended to your thread in order to derail your discussion. Anticipate tangents you don't want the debate to go down and advise debaters of this ahead of time.

Remember you are not the moderator or editor of the thread which you started. Do not feel an obligation to respond to every post made by others. Focus on what you can manage and let the rest fall away. With all these caveats and steps you should be able to keep your head above water while managing your online debating. Remember this is about fun as well as learning or winning. If it becomes burdensome then you probably aren't having fun.

Finally, please remember that the ever-driven and rather unpleasant Socrates committed suicide at the behest of the Athenian elites, ... he didn't know how to have fun, even if he knew how to pose questions. We can all learn from Socrates sorry end as well as his "Method"!

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

craig:

Is every reply you're getting germane to the topic under debate? If not, then do not reply to all the replies you have received. If several replies can be answered with one post by you, then group them together to make one reply to the many. This can be done using the reply tab's advanced features or by using the "@" symbol before their usernames. If another poster steps in and makes an argument for you with which you agree then thank them with a "like" and if necessary quote them and say, "Good point!" or "Hear, hear!" which takes little effort and little time.

In order to limit the scope and irrelevence of possible replies, a well thought out and well defined original post (OP) can be helpful. Define your terms and definitions clearly in order to avoid replies asking for clarification. Make your debate topic definite, discreet and with clear boundries so that the debate has less of a chance to mushroom out of control. Avoid sensational or unnecessarily provocative titles and OPs which will attract those offended to your thread in order to derail your discussion. Anticipate tangents you don't want the debate to go down and advise debaters of this ahead of time.

Remember you are not the moderator or editor of the thread which you started. Do not feel an obligation to respond to every post made by others. Focus on what you can manage and let the rest fall away. With all these caveats and steps you should be able to keep your head above water while managing your online debating. Remember this is about fun as well as learning or winning. If it becomes burdensome then you probably aren't having fun.

Finally, please remember that the ever-driven and rather unpleasant Socrates committed suicide at the behest of the Athenian elites, ... he didn't know how to have fun, even if he knew how to pose questions. We can all learn from Socrates sorry end as well as his "Method"!

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.
Excellent advise. I now see the many places where I went wrong and will do better in my next attempt. I did look for a help topic before asking for it. This should be in it if one exists. Loved your comment about Socrates. But wasn't his death more of a self execution? Thanks again.

Excellent advise. I now see the many places where I went wrong and will do better in my next attempt. I did look for a help topic before asking for it. This should be in it if one exists. Loved your comment about Socrates. But wasn't his death more of a self execution? Thanks again.

Welcome to DP craig.

You might want to consider starting a thread in The Loft, which does not tolerate things like thread hijacking etc.

Craig, I cannot speak for others but you will find that all topics are subjected to derailment for one reason or another. Attempts to keep others on topic will invite rudeness. That is how some people are, unfortunately. In my first week here, I placed a bunch of people on my 'ignore' list, mostly for rudeness and a disrespectful attitude. I do not mention this to give you a bad impression but as a helpful suggestion that the 'ignore' feature limits the posts you have to read to those that deserve your time. When it stops being interesting, just quit.

If you are expecting the forum technology to provide a continual format the combines your post in some individual thread, that's not how it works. Threads just show posts in chronological order, and that's it.

Craig, I cannot speak for others but you will find that all topics are subjected to derailment for one reason or another. Attempts to keep others on topic will invite rudeness. That is how some people are, unfortunately. In my first week here, I placed a bunch of people on my 'ignore' list, mostly for rudeness and a disrespectful attitude. I do not mention this to give you a bad impression but as a helpful suggestion that the 'ignore' feature limits the posts you have to read to those that deserve your time.

That is the way I handle it as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom