• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm having a bit of a head-scratcher concerning oil/gasoline.

A couple of years ago gas was affordable and plentiful. What has "changed" is who is president and no I won't embrace Biden's failed presidency.

Gas has gone up in priace world wide not just the US. Biden has had little world wide impact on gas prices

As easy as it is to blame Biden (and I think he is happy with the high gas prices), I think
we were on track for some inflation, no matter who was in office.
Inflation was coming as as surly as King Canute's tide.

Inflation is hitting Canada, the UK, the EU, India and China among others. Biden had no impact on Inflation in the EU or China

Inflation is hitting Canada, the UK, the EU, India and China among others. Biden had no impact on Inflation in the EU or China
yep, just like the raising tide, does not stop at Human borders.

Gas has gone up in priace world wide not just the US. Biden has had little world wide impact on gas prices
Biden came into office proclaiming he'd be the end of oil and he's done everything possible to make that happen in America. His anti oil policies and agenda are not without consequences.

Biden came into office proclaiming he'd be the end of oil and he's done everything possible to make that happen in America. His anti oil policies and agenda are not without consequences.

Ok now explain the high inflation for gas in Canada, Europe and Asia

Oil is a global commodity, and restricting the output of it any place in the world affects world prices.

Biden has done his share to raise prices, though the war in Ukraine has done so more.

There is no doubt we are all paying the price for gasoline no matter our state which brings me to my conundrum. It seems the people who complain the loudest about the price of gasoline are also the people who support the oil and gas industry while they poo poo renewables and are already MAYBE blaming blackouts this summer on renewables, ala fox 'news'.
Renewables are not yet capable of keeping the lights and more importantly the A/C on 24/7. Especially here in California where power companies are already turning the power off during high wind and fire events. Without gas you have no emergency power back up.

Also important not to leave out is that natural gas (which is targeted by the climate hysteria loons) is economically much cheaper than electricity by any source. So, there is that aspect as well. Forcing cities to abandon natural gas in homes and businesses, is only ADDING to inflation costs for food and services. Therefore, jumping head first into only renewables too soon, creates dire economic strains on the most economically marginalized working people and familes.

I say to these folks, why not just bite the bullet and admit there is no stopping progress and oil and gas as fuel is becoming a thing of the past and it will be much better for the planet and all of our descendants once we stop using them for energy. The only thing constant in life is change, embrace it.

In other words: all of you poor working families, YOU all need to "bite the bullet" and go out and buy a $80,000 electric car, even as you have difficulty being able to afford rent and put new tires on the 20 year old gasoline car you still own--- but at least don't have to make payments on.

Your opinion smacks of typical liberal elitism.

Renewables are not yet capable of keeping the lights and more importantly the A/C on 24/7. Especially here in California where power companies are already turning the power off during high wind and fire events. Without gas you have no emergency power back up.

Also important not to leave out is that natural gas (which is targeted by the climate hysteria loons) is economically much cheaper than electricity by any source. So, there is that aspect as well. Forcing cities to abandon natural gas in homes and businesses, is only ADDING to inflation costs for food and services. Therefore, jumping head first into only renewables too soon, creates dire economic strains on the most economically marginalized working people and familes.

In other words: all of you poor working families, YOU all need to "bite the bullet" and go out and buy a $80,000 electric car, even as you have difficulty being able to afford rent and put new tires on the 20 year old gasoline car you still own--- but at least don't have to make payments on.

Your opinion smacks of typical liberal elitism.
I have natural gas in my house. Stop being such a dang victim and get out of the fifties already.

As an eV owner (we have 3), I have come to the conclusion I've turned eV hater - for everyone else that is; the fewer people that have them, the less the government will regulate them, and the less chance they will get impact-fee'd and taxed to death to replace gas tax revenue.

Same with the all-electric home; unfortunately the houses I've lived in the last 8 years have no CNG, and don't even have the plumbing for it in the neighborhood. I need to have one of those submarine looking bottles put in the yard (just in ase), and hope the delivery truck never goes electric.

I haven't noticed - how much is that gasoline stuff now??? Skyrocketing prices are good too; maybe the poor people who can't afford to fill up will quit driving...they can't afford insurance either, and the fewer uninsured drivers on the road the better. They could never afford to fix my $80,000 eV if the ever hit it.

Keep more eVs off the road, keep gasoline and gas prices off the charts, and my life will be better. Lets make America great again, one gallon at a time!

I see you haven't read the bill.

If passed, it would put the presidency one step closer to a dictatorship.
Bullshit LMAO. I have read it; have you? Please enlighten me. Your reasoning is disingenuous. The oil lobbyists don't like it period as their profits surge :rolleyes:

GQP are alleging there is no price gouging

House approves bill to combat gasoline ‘price gouging’​

Economy May 19, 2022 4:05 PM EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) — A closely divided House approved legislation Thursday to crack down on alleged price gouging by oil companies and other energy producers as prices at the pump continue to soar.

A bill backed by House Democrats would give President Joe Biden authority to declare an energy emergency that would make it unlawful to increase gasoline and home energy fuel prices in an “excessive” or exploitative manner. The bill directs the Federal Trade Commission to punish companies that engage in price gouging.
“At a time when people across the country are feeling the pinch at the gas pump, Congress needs to be doing all it can to bring down costs for American families,″ said Rep. Kim Schrier, D-Wash., who co-sponsored the bill.

She called it “infuriating” that spikes in gas prices were “happening at the same time that gas and oil companies are making record profits and taking advantage of international crises to make a profit. This must stop.″

ExxonMobil, Chevron and other major oil companies announced surging profits totaling more than $40 billion in the first quarter of the year, a fact Democrats repeatedly cited in floor debate. Many of the companies are spending billions on stock buybacks and dividend payments to investors.

“Big Oil is price gouging families because they can,” said Rep. Katie Porter, D-Calif., another co-sponsor. “Enough is enough.”

Republicans and industry groups called the bill misguided, saying there is no evidence of price gouging.

Last edited:
As an eV owner (we have 3), I have come to the conclusion I've turned eV hater - for everyone else that is; the fewer people that have them, the less the government will regulate them, and the less chance they will get impact-fee'd and taxed to death to replace gas tax revenue.

Same with the all-electric home; unfortunately the houses I've lived in the last 8 years have no CNG, and don't even have the plumbing for it in the neighborhood. I need to have one of those submarine looking bottles put in the yard (just in ase), and hope the delivery truck never goes electric.

I haven't noticed - how much is that gasoline stuff now??? Skyrocketing prices are good too; maybe the poor people who can't afford to fill up will quit driving...they can't afford insurance either, and the fewer uninsured drivers on the road the better. They could never afford to fix my $80,000 eV if the ever hit it.

Keep more eVs off the road, keep gasoline and gas prices off the charts, and my life will be better. Lets make America great again, one gallon at a time!
I have six gas vehicles not counting my two boats and four motorcycles. My next vehicle purchase will be a pre 1970s truck so that it does not require smog certification.

All of my appliances are gas, and I already am in the process of stockpiling as many replacement parts for my vintage MADE IN AMERICA 30+ year old appliances.

I have lifetime supply of incandescent light bulbs in storage because I hate LED crap.

Gas lawnmower, chainsaws, blower, generators.... I have all of that.

I have a huge property will lots of green lawns which I water everyday and keep it green with lots of chemicals.

I wash my cars myself each week, and I even hose down the sidewalks and the strreet.

I don't recycle anything. Everything goes to the landfill.

I do all of these things because I want to and can afford to. Same way Al Gore and John Kerry do what they want to do as they fly around in jets acting like protectors of the climate.

Gas prices are simply a matter of greed with the big oil companies. They are taking advantage of an excuse to make record profits on the backs of Americans again.
I wish this were true. I'm not hostile to the notion that corporate extraction regimes are some of the worst organizations that have ever existed.

But.

Gas prices reflect real costs. And gasoline retailers do not want high gas prices, since their business model depends on lowest possible price, so the actually profitable segments (coffee, water, prepared foods, etc) will move off the shelves. Right now, it's esp bad because supply chain woes coupled with high prices are hurting the whole sector.

By raising the price? Oil producers are popping champagne!!

Shale Oil is profitable again

There is no doubt we are all paying the price for gasoline no matter our state which brings me to my conundrum. It seems the people who complain the loudest about the price of gasoline are also the people who support the oil and gas industry while they poo poo renewables and are already MAYBE blaming blackouts this summer on renewables, ala fox 'news'.

I say to these folks, why not just bite the bullet and admit there is no stopping progress and oil and gas as fuel is becoming a thing of the past and it will be much better for the planet and all of our descendants once we stop using them for energy. The only thing constant in life is change, embrace it.
Go by some bicycles after all for the price of a fossil fueled vehicle were talking about a personal magnificent fleet of bicycles ...enjoy the rides. Bicyles require little maintenance and can last a lifetime.

Ok now explain the high inflation for gas in Canada, Europe and Asia
Lord Tammerlain:

It's called the "rocket and feather" pricing model. When oil prices go up, gasoline prices go up quickly because consumers seek lower prices and competition actually limits the margins of gasoline producers and retailers. But when prices fall, consumers are less vigilant and producers and retailers are far less quick to react to oil price drops because that is when they can make bigger margins and greater profits. Prices drop slowly and consumers are stuck in a less competitive market thus paying more. This means gas prices fall slowly like a feather falling through the air. Oil prices peaked in mid-March but gas prices are still going up. They will remain high until consumers boycott gasoline purchases until prices come down.

Governments also benefit from higher fuel prices because they collect higher taxes based on a proportion of the price of gasoline. Higher gas prices mean more tax revenue for governments. Thus governments are turning a blind eye to collusion in the gasoline production and retail business as the collusion actually enriches government tax coffers too.

Finally there is the high price of diesel fuel. There is some odd notion in the gasoline and diesel markets that both prices should be about the same. Since diesel is in short supply retailers and producers are marking up gasoline prices rather than transferring oil to more diesel production, because driving up both prices in parallel is more profitable than lowering the prices of both. More gouging and eventual feathering.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

By raising the price? Oil producers are popping champagne!!

Shale Oil is profitable again
They won't go back in mass if a Democrat remains president

Canada used to have a state-owned gas refiner and retailer called Petro-Canada. It was used to discipline gasoline, diesel and home heating oil markets here by using competition to limit profit margins in the home heating oil, gasoline and diesel wholesale and retail markets. It worked a charm until the Conservative Party under the leadership of Prime Minister Brian Mulroney decided to privatise it in 1990 and make it answerable to private share holders rather than the state. Since then Canadian consumers have been screwed for about three decades, due to a lack of competition in our domestic fuel markets.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

There is no doubt we are all paying the price for gasoline no matter our state which brings me to my conundrum. It seems the people who complain the loudest about the price of gasoline are also the people who support the oil and gas industry while they poo poo renewables and are already MAYBE blaming blackouts this summer on renewables, ala fox 'news'.n'

progress is fine, but it hasn't got anywhere near what it needs to be before we can abandon petroleum. Prog seem to think all they have to do wish real hard and miracles will occur to build an electric grid and renewables generation (with backup); and it will happen in only a few years.

Back
Top Bottom