• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm having a bit of a head-scratcher concerning oil/gasoline.

How does a flashlight work. Where does your car get the energy it needs to start? Your cell phone, where does it get its power when it's not plugged into an outlet?
Could it be considered existing inferstructre that can handle/ designed for the load...

Our grid was no designed for 300 million cars to be plugged in at night, only for clothes dryers 30 amps and various house hold electric items under 20 and 10 amps

Again most homes are only rated at 100amps

Could it be considered existing inferstructre that can handle/ designed for the load...

Our grid was no designed for 300 million cars to be plugged in at night, only for clothes dryers 30 amps and various house hold electric items under 20 and 10 amps

I would think it would say to most folks, we need to upgrade our grid and a hundred amp service is a thing of the past, try getting one installed.

How does a flashlight work. Where does your car get the energy it needs to start? Your cell phone, where does it get its power when it's not plugged into an outlet?
Oh I understand energy storage, but do you? The scale of energy storage necessary for your hypothetical billion families on solar power
is enormous. Right now you are likely getting your non sunlight electricity, not from a battery, but from net metering.
The problem with that, net metering is an untenable system, above even about 10% of households.
Consider the size of battery necessary to 100% cover your home's electrical demands, were the grid not available.
The system would require ~40% more panels, and likely several powerwalls, as well as a backup generator.

What does that bogus wiki link have to do with what I posted?
How is the position of “the left” different than the position of the scientific organizations?

Gas prices are simply a matter of greed with the big oil companies. They are taking advantage of an excuse to make record profits on the backs of Americans again.
You have any actual proof of that?

Thought not.

There is no doubt we are all paying the price for gasoline no matter our state which brings me to my conundrum. It seems the people who complain the loudest about the price of gasoline are also the people who support the oil and gas industry while they poo poo renewables and are already MAYBE blaming blackouts this summer on renewables, ala fox 'news'.

I say to these folks, why not just bite the bullet and admit there is no stopping progress and oil and gas as fuel is becoming a thing of the past and it will be much better for the planet and all of our descendants once we stop using them for energy. The only thing constant in life is change, embrace it.
A couple of years ago gas was affordable and plentiful. What has "changed" is who is president and no I won't embrace Biden's failed presidency.

You have any actual proof of that?

Thought not.
At least we can be confident when oil and gas prices go down these same people will say it’s because the oil companies spontaneously became less greedy.

The only question I wonder about is what causes these sudden fluctuations in greed levels.

Anecdotally as a fairly long term owner of both an electric car and an electric bike, neither get plugged in every night; they see a receptacle once, maybe twice a week. No electrical supply upgrades or special plumbing either; the car goes into the 220V dryer plug, and pulls in the vicinity of 24A on a 30A breaker, and the bike uses 110V only, and at max pulls 17A on a 20A breaker.

We have the original 100A service from when the house was built in 1980, and we have yet trigger a circuit breaker or had any heating issues. Impact on the electric bill is about 10% which is quantified on the 'off peak' summary since we only charge at night.

Grid demand will ramp up slowly, and power companies will upgrade accordingly; our grid needs attention today under current loads, and maybe this will push action instead of limping along when at or near consumption peaks as we do now.

Anecdotally as a fairly long term owner of both an electric car and an electric bike, neither get plugged in every night; they see a receptacle once, maybe twice a week. No electrical supply upgrades or special plumbing either; the car goes into the 220V dryer plug, and pulls in the vicinity of 24A on a 30A breaker, and the bike uses 110V only, and at max pulls 17A on a 20A breaker.

We have the original 100A service from when the house was built in 1980, and we have yet trigger a circuit breaker or had any heating issues. Impact on the electric bill is about 10% which is quantified on the 'off peak' summary since we only charge at night.

Grid demand will ramp up slowly, and power companies will upgrade accordingly; our grid needs attention today under current loads, and maybe this will push action instead of limping along when at or near consumption peaks as we do now.
I don't know many people having 220v power in there garages except my dad and me (when I owned a house) for arc welders, and we didn't use our dryers on at the same time.

Most people work during the day and EV sales are sky rocketing and I don't see many state governments addressing this issue

I don't know many people having 220v power in there garages except my dad and me (when I owned a house) for arc welders, and we didn't use our dryers on at the same time.

Most people work during the day and EV sales are sky rocketing and I don't see many state governments addressing this issue
Just a quick one: Our laundry was plumbed into the garage - common for Arizona homes. The car came with a 110V plugin, and I bought the accessory 220V plug for $44 to shorten charge times and reduce amp loads.

Plan is to put in a free-standing solar system just for the vehicles, which will eliminate our eV grid loading.

You listen to much to the left. It's a business and it's long term. WE wouldn't be in such shape had Joe not come into office and done all he could to suppress the oil industry. He old us he would do that and he did, he even bragged about it in his speeches during the campaign. Well he killed all he could and publicized it as he did it. Now it's bit him in the ass and he wants to change the story. Besides everyone who knows wind and solar knows it will never replace fossil fuels, never, ever. It's also extremely expensive without the high subsidies given by the democrat run government.
most of your post is a lie and a word salad tailored for the ignorant rePukes...
God Bless America...
-peace
1654061213879.png
.[/URL]
Tell us again how Biden caused gasoline prices to increase when it's all due to these companies taking SOARING profits from gasoline.

Last edited:
most of your post is a lie and a word salad tailored for the ignorant rePukes...
God Bless America...
-peace
.[/URL]
Tell us again how Biden caused gasoline prices to increase when it's all due to these companies taking SOARING profits from gasoline.
He cannot make prices go up, he can only make them go down.
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 1.26.29 AM.png

Oh I understand energy storage, but do you? The scale of energy storage necessary for your hypothetical billion families on solar power
is enormous. Right now you are likely getting your non sunlight electricity, not from a battery, but from net metering.
The problem with that, net metering is an untenable system, above even about 10% of households.
Consider the size of battery necessary to 100% cover your home's electrical demands, were the grid not available.
The system would require ~40% more panels, and likely several powerwalls, as well as a backup generator.
Got it, do nothing and stay dependent on oil and gas.

A couple of years ago gas was affordable and plentiful. What has "changed" is who is president and no I won't embrace Biden's failed presidency.
In your mind biden is responsible for the price of oil?

The reality is that petroleum will be the major energy source for a few more decades at least.
We don't have enough of an electrical grid to charge today's few EVs.
Rainbows and Unicorns?
That’s because they have permanent monopolies and a counterproductive profit structure, where they get more profit from new projects than maintenance projects. So the grid is falling apart.

Got it, do nothing and stay dependent on oil and gas.
I am not sure how you got the idea to do nothing from what I said.
Where do you think your electricity comes from, when the sun is not shining?
What I am saying is that Wind and Solar cannot get us to a sustainable energy future,
without massive energy storage, more than what can be had from todays batteries.
We actually need seasonal energy storage, enough to more Spring and Fall surpluses to Summer and Winter
demand.

Grandpappy said:
The reality is that petroleum will be the major energy source for a few more decades at least.
Rainbows and Unicorns?
That’s because they have permanent monopolies and a counterproductive profit structure, where they get more profit from new projects than maintenance projects. So the grid is falling apart.
The grid IS falling apart, but according to the Utilities, the driver is not eV's, but that pesky, non-existent global warming hoax. And like you said, the profit structure. How confusing...eV naysayers claim the grid cannot handle the load of millions of cars being plugged in all at once and we need to stay with gasoline, and the tree-huggers say the burning of gasoline is causing global warning and we need to go electric, and the power companies say the grid can't handle the load of the extreme hot and cold caused by climate change:

CNN: "The reality is the electricity system is old and a lot of the infrastructure was built before we started thinking about climate change,” “It’s not designed to withstand the impacts of climate change.”

In your mind biden is responsible for the price of oil?
He's responsible for that and inflation in general. It's his watch and the ship of State is dangerously close to breaking up on the rocky shore.

He's responsible for that and inflation in general. It's his watch and the ship of State is dangerously close to breaking up on the rocky shore.
As easy as it is to blame Biden (and I think he is happy with the high gas prices), I think
we were on track for some inflation, no matter who was in office.
Inflation was coming as as surly as King Canute's tide.

As easy as it is to blame Biden (and I think he is happy with the high gas prices), I think
we were on track for some inflation, no matter who was in office.
Inflation was coming as as surly as King Canute's tide.
So where higher gas prices as covid ended and demand surged. Biden policies made a bad situation worse. He's captain of a ship in stormy seas and doesn't have a clue about what to do.

So where higher gas prices as covid ended and demand surged. Biden policies made a bad situation worse. He's captain of a ship in stormy seas and doesn't have a clue about what to do.
I cannot disagree.

Grandpappy said:
Rainbows and Unicorns?

The grid IS falling apart, but according to the Utilities, the driver is not eV's, but that pesky, non-existent global warming hoax. And like you said, the profit structure. How confusing...eV naysayers claim the grid cannot handle the load of millions of cars being plugged in all at once and we need to stay with gasoline, and the tree-huggers say the burning of gasoline is causing global warning and we need to go electric, and the power companies say the grid can't handle the load of the extreme hot and cold caused by climate change:

CNN: "The reality is the electricity system is old and a lot of the infrastructure was built before we started thinking about climate change,” “It’s not designed to withstand the impacts of climate change.”
Add to that the aspect not often considered:

An all electric fleet and a smart grid would provide the holy grail of energy distribution.

Grid storage. Vast amounts of grid storage. All those cars parked at those places of business could easily level loads at peak and be restored at night. Most people will only use a small fraction of capacity most days, and a tap of a touchscreen would cut your vehicle out of that process as necessary.

Needs a new grid, though. Or at least a major upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom