• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ignorance on firearms and no im not talking about statistics...

I dont feel it's a good idea to have a populace armed to the point where it can create problems for law enforcement. I dont object to an armed populace, but I think people mistake "having the biggest gun around" for the ability to deploy that weapon successfully in any sort of militia or revolutionary action.

As I have said before, revolutions were carried out by fewer people with fewer arms with marked success. Victory in a revolution is not about force of arms or the technological capabilities of either side; tactics and strength of will determine who will, in the end, triumph.

Then I ask you, why do we not make ALL military hardware available to the general public?

I dont trust human beings to run around with military grade firepower and not mis-use it and I dont want to be around when someone learns that lesson.

If what you're doing doesnt have consequences for me, you're right. However a population armed with heavy weaponry creates problems for those who AREN'T armed.

We arent discussing cars, homes, television, clothing, or computers. Please stay on topic.

Again, I question the need of an assault rifle for hunting game

No, because their availability is limited.

Shop around more
Remington 700 7mm mag w/ Bushnell 3200 Elite scop : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

If your range requirements arent that high, you can afford to look for far cheaper rifles that will accomplish the same goal.

Dozens of revolutions have been fought successfully in modern times without a populace armed to the teeth.

So any conventional weapon is acceptable?

You've got it all backwards. It is a right.

Just like freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion.

A gun owner does NOT have to show "need" to own a type of gun...
Instead the government has to show an overwhelming societal benefit and need in restricting that type of gun to justify imposing on that Constitutional RIGHT.

Can you show there is an overwhelming societal need and benefit in banning AK47's?

I doubt it. They are very rarely used in crimes, and even more rarely were those used in crimes legally owned to start with.

If you can't, then the RIGHT to arms trumps your mere dislike of the firearm type.

A RIGHT isn't about NEED.

Biiiiig difference between burning flags and .50 bullets, bucko.
If your argument applies to one, it applies to both.
That you may not fid something necessary in no way means I do not have a right to that something.

Nothing, it's quite an intimidating weapon and would be a good home defense weapon.
And as such, there’s no sound argument against me having one.

I never said the AK was a bad hunting weapon.
And as sucy, there’s no argument against me having one.

Now, are you talking about war trophy 47's or ones that have been modified so as to be legal to sell to the general public?
Most AKs in the US were produced as semi-auto only rifles..

Why use an AK? It has a 350-400 meter effective range with semi-automatic as opposed to, say, a Remington 700 with a .270 round will serve you 5-600 meters and drop a moose with 180 grains? (IIRC)
I wasn’t discussing Aks, I was discussin .50BMG

Why do you need paramilitary weapons to arm a militia
This question answers itself; asking it denoted a profound ignorance of the issue or intellectual dishonesty.

Granted I have no direct quotes, but to me, using simple logic seems more reliable than assuming the founders meant we could ALL have ANY weapon we wanted.
So, you the only thing you have to back up your preconceptions are your preconceptions.
10-4.

the National Firearms Act (NFA) it is illegal for a private citizen to possess a sawed-off modern smokeless powder shotgun (a barrel length less than 18 in….
You aren’t reading what I said, and your posting of the NFA only proves what I said to be correct.

I said:
And yet, there is no limit on the barrel lenght of a shotgun that has no stock. Thet are considered class-III "Any other weapons" and are subject to a $5 tax stamp, compared to the $200 stamp for a short-barreled shotgun w/ stock.

Your post”
A shotgun is legally defined as a shoulder mounted firearm that fires shot. Shotguns and shotgun receivers that have never had a buttstock of any type installed are not shotguns

Back
Top Bottom