• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

If You Had To Chose Between A God Fearing Person vs. An Atheist .... (2 Viewers)

Re: If You Had Tio Chose Between A God Fearing Person vs. An Atheist ....

Faith has nothing to do with logic and to try and prove your faith with logic is inherently illogical.

I am not talking about "faith", you are talking about "faith". Only people who don't know what they hell are talking about try this silly exercise and they fail every time. You claim to have read Aquinas and you think he is speaking of "faith"???

Isn't it surprising that believers seem to assume that they are the only people who read books? The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis is turgid Christian science fiction.

Based on your other postings, I am surprised that you can use "turgid" in a sentence.

I am not talking about "faith", you are talking about "faith". Only people who don't know what they hell are talking about try this silly exercise and they fail every time. You claim to have read Aquinas and you think he is speaking of "faith"???

Try rereading what I said.

Try rereading what I said.

I did, and it doesn't make any more sense than it did the first time. Were you responding to something I said or something you thought I said?

Based on your other postings, I am surprised that you can use "turgid" in a sentence.

Ooh, how witty. Do you read a lot of Oscar Wilde?

Brautigan was an awful writer.

Ooh, how witty. Do you read a lot of Oscar Wilde?

Not if I can avoid it.

I did, and it doesn't make any more sense than it did the first time. Were you responding to something I said or something you thought I said?

Ill try again.
YOU responded to me originally so go back there as a starting point then come back to this:
Faith has nothing to do with logic and to try and prove your faith with logic is inherently illogical.

Last edited:

Rem acu tetigisti.

Not if I can avoid it.

“I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.”

"People fashion their God after their own understanding. They make their God first and worship him afterwards."

"I don’t want to go to heaven. None of my friends are there.”

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."-Oscar Wilde.

Ill try again.
YOU responded to me originally so go back there as a starting point then come back to this:

The idea that Aquinas was an unbiased logician is frankly risible.

The idea that Aquinas was an unbiased logician is frankly risible.

All I can tell you is that he is famous for his use of logic, you, on the other hand, are not. And never will be.

Ill try again.

And I'll try again: nobody is talking about faith but you.

And I'll try again: nobody is talking about faith but you.

You really arent getting it are you.
It is illogical to try and prove God`s existence as it is impossible to prove (or disprove) God, therefore it is purely a matter of faith.

All I can tell you is that he is famous for his use of logic, you, on the other hand, are not. And never will be.

Join the club. Why are believers so insulting?

It is illogical to try and prove God`s existence as it is impossible to prove (or disprove) God, therefore it is purely a matter of faith.

He doesn't appear to have the nous to understand your point. I fear you are wasting your time.

You're the one who is not getting it. I am going to explain it so even you can understand it: God's existence is a tiny percentage of what Aquinas wrote about. He may not be able to prove anything - hell, you can't even prove to me that you exist - but he can tell you why he believes God exists. You can believe that or disbelieve that, but I would be more impressed if you tried to refute his logic. Which you haven't.

That said, there are hundreds of topics on which he expounded and for you to dismiss them all as "faith" when you don't even know what they are is nothing short of, well, stupid. Which is why I can't believe you are actually pressing this issue.

Join the club. Why are believers so insulting?

Sometimes we respond to arrogant people that way. Sorry, but we are merely works in progress.

He doesn't appear to have the nous to understand your point. I fear you are wasting your time.

I don't think he knows who Aquinas is. And I fear I am wasting my time.

An unbiased account written by a believer. Stories about miracles have been documented. We have always had stories about miracles but no actual proof. Could you please start answering in your own words, and without links to believer documentation?

Hey, stay in the dark. Don't read the works that bust your worldview. And if and when you drop down into you-know-where, remember days like this when you didn't pay attention and do your due-diligence.

God will only send you so many people to try to give you a head's up, and then you're done.

You're the one who is not getting it. I am going to explain it so even you can understand it: God's existence is a tiny percentage of what Aquinas wrote about. He may not be able to prove anything - hell, you can't even prove to me that you exist - but he can tell you why he believes God exists. You can believe that or disbelieve that, but I would be more impressed if you tried to refute his logic. Which you haven't.

That said, there are hundreds of topics on which he expounded and for you to dismiss them all as "faith" when you don't even know what they are is nothing short of, well, stupid. Which is why I can't believe you are actually pressing this issue.

No you really dont get it.
We are not talking about Aquinas, only YOU are.
We are talking about the existence of God, or lack thereof. Thus whether or not you use the term we are talking about faith.
So no, I am not being stupid, however you seem hell bent on derailing for whatever reason.

I am not sure if he is incapable of comprehending or if he understands and is just trying to derail.
Either way you may be right.

This is what I wrote that started you off on your rant:

What's really amazing is that some seem to think that vacuous statements like this one represent "logic". Have you ever read Thomas Aquinas, for example, a great fan of the Greeks, whose philosophical theology is still thought of as one of the greatest works of reason in history?

This really has nothing to do with whether you think God exists or not, but your ilk are often fond of changing the subject when it suits them.

I also happen to believe your premise is full of crap, too - not logical - but that's beside the point also. Offering an apologetic for your belief in God is far from illogical but atheists are often fond of asking questions then moving the goal posts if you are foolhardy enough to try and answer them.

Have a nice day. I am sure your little friends will be along to console you and assure you of your superiority before long.

Last edited:

This is what I wrote that started you off on your rant:

This really has nothing to do with whether you think God exists or not, but your ilk are often fond of changing the subject when it suits them.

I also happen to believe your premise is full of crap, too, but that's beside the point also. Offering an apologetic for your belief in God is far from illogical but atheists are often fond of asking questions then moving the goal posts if you are foolhardy enough to try and answer them.

Have a nice day. I am sure your little friends will be along to console you and assure you of your superiority before long.

No you started off replying to this:
Its amazing the lack of logic used by man to try and justify their faith.
with that post.

YOU brougfht up Aquinas. I dont know why you think you can respond to me ignoring what I actually said and think that you have thus changed the conversation. But that doesnt work.
So if you are incapable of following what I am posting then ask for clarifications or dont bother responding at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom