• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If Obama Had A City, It Would Look like Detroit

Less than 50% graduation rate? The latest numbers for the 2009-10 year show a 78.2% on time graduation rate. High School Graduation Rate at Highest Level in Three Decades | ED.gov Blog

A discussion is useless if we're just making up "facts" to support our stance. Obama is not failing our kids, graduation rates are posed to reach the highest rate in US history. Oh, and to think that they've "watered down" the education, I say you must not have seen modern homework. I've been helping my cousins with their homework in math and science, and they're doing stuff in 5th grade that I didn't do until 8th, or even 9th grade. I have every reason to think that they'll have a better education from High School than I got from my University. It's progress, simple as that; Obama has nothing to do with it, for better or worse.

Really?,
Ask them about Geometry, American History, or how about literature, composition or grammar. They look at you with a question in their eyes.

Of course it wasn't. The question remains, why didn't Obama do something about it when he said he would.

A better question would be, why hasn't Congress done something about it? They write the bills and control the money. No matter how you look at it, no President(no matter which alphabet letter they carry) can spend a dime without Congress approving it.

Really?,
Ask them about Geometry, American History, or how about literature, composition or grammar. They look at you with a question in their eyes.

Unless "graduate" means something new these days, more kids graduating is more kids graduating. When I was in High School, you couldn't graduate without passing all the core classes, including Math(Including Geometry, Algeba, and Trig), Science, English (Composition, Literature, Grammar), Social studies (including American History), and numerous one-offs like Computer programming and PE. If you didn't pass those classes, you didn't graduate. I've heard of no new policies to reduce those requirements.

Unless "graduate" means something new these days, more kids graduating is more kids graduating. When I was in High School, you couldn't graduate without passing all the core classes, including Math(Including Geometry, Algeba, and Trig), Science, English (Composition, Literature, Grammar), Social studies (including American History), and numerous one-offs like Computer programming and PE. If you didn't pass those classes, you didn't graduate. I've heard of no new policies to reduce those requirements.

I may a little older than you, so bear with me. When I was in High School there were two methods to graduation. they were a "General" or "Academic" Diploma. One prepared you for College the other didn't. Academic Diploma applicants were required to take State Wide Regents examinations at the end of length of the course. For example a Language was required and at the end of at least two years those with intentions of college took that test. Each of the subjects you indicated including language required passable Regents scores with a total of 23 credits to graduate with an Academic Diploma. Today State Regents Examinations are a thing of the past. And yes, it was Social Studies that included World History, American History and Geography. Even my grandchildren look at me quizzically when I ask them specific questions about the subjects that are supposedly taking. You know like, how do you derive the Quadratic Equation?

I may a little older than you, so bear with me. When I was in High School there were two methods to graduation. they were a "General" or "Academic" Diploma. One prepared you for College the other didn't. Academic Diploma applicants were required to take State Wide Regents examinations at the end of length of the course. For example a Language was required and at the end of at least two years those with intentions of college took that test. Each of the subjects you indicated including language required passable Regents scores with a total of 23 credits to graduate with an Academic Diploma. Today State Regents Examinations are a thing of the past. And yes, it was Social Studies that included World History, American History and Geography. Even my grandchildren look at me quizzically when I ask them specific questions about the subjects that are supposedly taking. You know like, how do you derive the Quadratic Equation?

Did you go to a New York school? They still use the regents system, although I'm uncertain of other states.
I never derived the Quadratic Equation during any academic program, although I have done it since due to curiosity. I can only assume that education is even more axiomatic now, but I don't have any reason to call that a problem. I wish logic and formal proofing were required learnings, and at a young age, but I don't think kids are getting "stupid" just because the emphasis of education is changing.

By Richard Butrick
July 20, 2013

Consider the following regarding the city of Detroit:

40% of its street lamps don't work.

210 of its 317 public parks have been closed.

It takes an hour for police to respond to a 911 call.

Only a third of its ambulances are drivable.

One-third of the city has been abandoned.

Forty-seven percent of adults are functionally illiterate

Read more:
Blog: If Obama Had A City, It Would Look like Detroit

Of course that how Obama would like to see the rest of America "Transformed"
I think once Detroit shrinks to about 1/5 its former size, community organizers will have a much easier time managing their welfare programs.

I think once Detroit shrinks to about 1/5 its former size, community organizers will have a much easier time managing their welfare programs.

But then who will the losers mooch off of, if all that's left of the city is moochers?

In other words; EVERYTHING IS OBAMA'S FAULT!

Looks like you got the message that Wehrwolfen has been posting non-stop since he first came on this forum.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

But then who will the losers mooch off of, if all that's left of the city is moochers?
The rich will end up paying their fair share .... FINALLY! Of course, I suspect most of the smart rich people will have already bailed the country, but there will still be a few suckers that hang around. ;)

The American Thinker, which you linked to, is a far right propaganda sheet, and is not a reliable source of information on anything.

The American Thinker, which you linked to, is a far right propaganda sheet, and is not a reliable source of information on anything.
Where did I link to that source?

Where did I link to that source?

The OP, Wehrwolfen, linked to it.

The American Thinker and Weird News Daily appear to be his sole sources of information.

The OP, Wehrwolfen, linked to it.

The American Thinker and Weird News Daily appear to be his sole sources of information.
Ah. Gotcha.

So what's your take on Detroit's situation?

No, the question is why does the GOP keep obstructing everything he ties to do?

Other than because they don't want the rest of the country to look like Detroit does now?

Of course that how Obama would like to see the rest of America "Transformed"

First off, that's a terrible blog post. There's no substance at all in there.

Second, let's look at what happened to Detroit. They had a booming auto industry that led to plentiful jobs, attracting nearly 2 million residents at its highest point. Then, competition from Japanese manufacturers and dropping property values hit the economy. Rich people moved away partially because of the 1967 riots. There was a racial divide that still exists today, splitting the city into the black and white, but also the rich and the poor. Detroit as it is today is Detroit as it was in January of 2009, although it's likely a bit better today. None of this is a shot at or credit to Obama. It's the plain truth.

So I'm having trouble figuring out what about these circumstances can be equated to Obama. Was there a policy of Detroit that was particularly liberal which led to the city's downfall? Well, they spent borrowed money that they couldn't pay back, but we know that to be a bi-partisan problem. Bush and Obama both had plenty of fun with bailouts. They weren't Detroit's problem. Detroit's problem was that it was built on an industry which was not in itself able to sustain the economic, industrial or social problems that the city faced. This is capitalism, really. When the money's there, you're good as gold, as soon as it's gone, the poor people are stuck with nothing and the rich get the hell out. So blaming Obama, or democrats, or liberalism is absurd.

First off, that's a terrible blog post. There's no substance at all in there.

Second, let's look at what happened to Detroit. They had a booming auto industry that led to plentiful jobs, attracting nearly 2 million residents at its highest point. Then, competition from Japanese manufacturers and dropping property values hit the economy. Rich people moved away partially because of the 1967 riots. There was a racial divide that still exists today, splitting the city into the black and white, but also the rich and the poor. Detroit as it is today is Detroit as it was in January of 2009, although it's likely a bit better today. None of this is a shot at or credit to Obama. It's the plain truth.

So I'm having trouble figuring out what about these circumstances can be equated to Obama. Was there a policy of Detroit that was particularly liberal which led to the city's downfall? Well, they spent borrowed money that they couldn't pay back, but we know that to be a bi-partisan problem. Bush and Obama both had plenty of fun with bailouts. They weren't Detroit's problem. Detroit's problem was that it was built on an industry which was not in itself able to sustain the economic, industrial or social problems that the city faced. This is capitalism, really. When the money's there, you're good as gold, as soon as it's gone, the poor people are stuck with nothing and the rich get the hell out. So blaming Obama, or democrats, or liberalism is absurd.

You sort of gloss over the idiocy of Democratic policies--Many urban areas are run by dems whose tax policies and appeasement of black criminals causes industrious whites to flee to outlying areas. Look at all the morons whining about the Martin issue when they say nothing about thousands of black on black killings.

It's likely to get worse before it gets better.
It's likely to get a whole lot worse. What hope is there for this city? I mean real hope; not the bull**** Democrats keep promising.

They'll all move to Chicago, making the town a bigger murder capital and welfare city.

Yes because people blamed bush for street lights not working :roll:

the loony left and the Gorebots blamed him for every thing from runs in their pantyhose to their pets having disruptive bowel disorders

the loony left and the Gorebots blamed him for every thing from runs in their pantyhose to their pets having disruptive bowel disorders

And the "loony right" blames Obama for everything. So are we going to agree that everything that can go wrong in the country and peoples lives is not the Presidents?

And the "loony right" blames Obama for everything. So are we going to agree that everything that can go wrong in the country and peoples lives is not the Presidents?

I will agree that Obama is far worse a president than W

You sort of gloss over the idiocy of Democratic policies--Many urban areas are run by dems whose tax policies and appeasement of black criminals causes industrious whites to flee to outlying areas. Look at all the morons whining about the Martin issue when they say nothing about thousands of black on black killings.

Yeah, how come Jesse Jackson doesn't say anything about that? That's so weird, I'm going to google "Jesse Jackson gang violence" to see why he never says anything about that... uh-oh, bad news, TurtleDude, it turns out Jesse Jackson went on a nationwide tour aimed at preventing and stopping gang violence. There's even this: “Each year ... about 7,000 African-Americans are murdered, more than nine times out of 10 by other African-Americans," Jackson said in a statement ahead of a series of nationwide anti-gun violence marches planned for Saturday. Here's that link

But if only a leader of the black community would say "the epidemic is truly black on black crime." Oh... uh-oh again.

“The epidemic is truly Black on Black crime,” former Texas NAACP leader C.L. Bryant told the Daily Caller website, echoing Jackson’s sentiment. “The greatest danger to the lives of young Black men are young Black men.”

But I understand that not many people hear these things, because white people are more interested in things that frighten them, and since they aren't black, these stories fly under the radar. That's why BET was the only source of Jackson's national anti-gang violence tour.

More information if you don't want to click on the link:
“We know the roots of this violence. The poor are crowded into desperate neighborhoods. Joblessness produces despair, depression and hopelessness," Jackson says. "Drugs and guns spread in the underground economy. Gangs start warring on mean streets. The young go to the poorest schools. They are more likely to be suspended, less likely to graduate. They face the worst job market since the Great Depression.”

On June 16, 2012, marches will take place in Chicago; Memphis, Tennessee; St. Louis, Missouri; East St. Louis, Illinois; Des Moines, Iowa: Jackson, Mississippi; Detroit; Flint, Michigan; Benton Harbor, Michigan; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Tampa Florida; Panama City, Florida; South Bend, Indiana; Atlanta; Birmingham, Alabama; Columbus, Ohio; Cincinnati; Gary, Indiana; Tulsa, Oklahoma; San Francisco; and Los Angeles.

Back
Top Bottom