• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Identify as Black/white?

Race is socially constructed. This should have been obvious since the unscientific one drop rule was enacted and phrenology was accepted. However, a white person cannot just identify into the experience that a black person has. Racial classification has loose connections to genetics which cannot be changed.
Please, don't spoil the fun we are having.

Pretty much everything is a social construct. There were white-skinned people that were considered black under the one-drop rule.
The genetic differences are so insignificant I could theoretically have more DNA in common with my Jamaican neighbour than my white.

Can Peanut butter be identified as jelly???
-Peace

Asking for a friend...
No, jelly is slippery, peanut butter is sticky.
Better question:
Has this thread become slippery or sticky?

Can Peanut butter be identified as jelly???
-Peace

Asking for a friend...
If it did, no one minding their own business would get hurt. Unless of course they have a peanut allergy and decided to do some unwanted and unwelcomed touching of said jelly. Your friend is welcome.

Nobody gets to “choose”. You simply are what you are.
Trans-Race people are what they are but Trans-Gender people can choose?
If you are a man attracted to men, the world calls you a homosexual. If you were born with a penis, the world calls you a man. If you were born with a penis and “choose” to be a woman, the world calls you transgender. If you have white and asian ancestry, the world considers you asian american, or chinese american. Nobody exists in a vacuum, we describe people in a way that accurately describes them.

That being said, someone with Chinese and Caucasian ancestry can introduce themselves as either Chinese or White. If they are not White passing, I don’t see that many people would choose to describe them solely as white.

We actually had a white employee claim this recently. We denied his request to identify as black.
Is this a serious comment? What accommodations were they seeking? Did they threaten a lawsuit?

Me too. I had a co-worker with Puerto Rican ancestry who used to get so frustrated when I "out browned" him in summer......😁
Here the Maori consider themselves black... use the N-Word with each other... in my tan days of summer I am darker skinned than many of them...

... and I point it out too.

We actually had a white employee claim this recently. We denied his request to identify as black.

Where I worked, a new hire identified as white instead of Hispanic much to the disappointment of HR. It is too bad that racists and racism have forced us into such absurd things to be concerned about.

Can a white person identify as black and should society accept this? Can a black person identify as white?

What are your thoughts?

Is there an actual point to this question, or is it just a set-up so that you can once again insert your well-known racist-based opinions into the thread?

Does anyone buy the natural peanut butter that you have to stir for 8 hours because the peanut oil separates?

Kitchen hack: once it's stirred put it in the fridge and it won't separate. It also won't spread, but stop being so picky.
I used to buy it, but I finally gave up because of both problems you mention. When I went back to Jif, the sugar was really noticeable, though. They should come up with a less sugar option. It would be tastier.

Race is socially constructed. This should have been obvious since the unscientific one drop rule was enacted and phrenology was accepted. However, a white person cannot just identify into the experience that a black person has.
Can a male identify into the experience of a female?
Racial classification has loose connections to genetics which cannot be changed.
And a male has genetics that can not be changed into a female...

If one can why not the other?

The genetic connection is just a wee bit more distant - 15 to 20 THOUSAND years.
We are talking about one's right to self-identify... not science. Why can't a person just identify as an Inuit?

Here the Maori consider themselves black... use the N-Word with each other... in my tan days of summer I am darker skinned than many of them...

... and I point it out too.
I worked midnights, but was on my jet ski about every afternoon. I got super dark. Almost too dark.

Is there an actual point to this question, or is it just a set-up so that you can once again insert your well-known racist-based opinions into the thread?
LOL What? What racist based opinions have you imagined that I have taken? :D

Back
Top Bottom