• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Identification of bioactive molecules from tea plant as SARS-CoV-2 main protease inhibitors

Stop spreading alt. med. nonsense. You're just as bad as Trump.

It won't hurt anyone to drink some tea, anymore than taking chicken noodle soup for a cold. I doubt if it helps, though.

Results of Google search: oolong tea antiviral - Google Search

Antiviral effects of green tea have been demonstrated against the influenza virus, as well as against the Herpes simplex virus, tobacco mosaic virus, enterovirus, rotavirus, Epstein Barr virus, HIV virus. Yet, green tea catechins have been shown to have antiviral activities against HIV infection.

Overview of antibacterial, antitoxin, antiviral, and antifungal activities of tea flavonoids and teas - PubMed

Overview of antibacterial, antitoxin, antiviral, and antifungal activities of tea flavonoids and teas

Abstract
Tea leaves produce organic compounds that may be involved in the defense of the plants against invading pathogens including insects, bacteria, fungi, and viruses. These metabolites include polyphenolic compounds, the six so-called catechins, and the methyl-xanthine alkaloids caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline. Postharvest inactivation of phenol oxidases in green tea leaves prevents oxidation of the catechins, whereas postharvest enzyme-catalyzed oxidation (fermentation) of catechins in tea leaves results in the formation of four theaflavins as well as polymeric thearubigins. These substances impart the black color to black teas. Black and partly fermented oolong teas contain both classes of phenolic compounds. A need exists to develop a better understanding of the roles of polyphenolic tea compounds in food and medical microbiology. This overview surveys and interprets our present knowledge of activities of tea flavonoids and teas against foodborne and other pathogenic bacteria, virulent protein toxins produced by some of the bacteria, virulent bacteriophages, pathogenic viruses and fungi. Also covered are synergistic, mechanistic, and bioavailability aspects of the antimicrobial effects. Further research is suggested for each of these categories. The herein described findings are not only of fundamental interest, but also have practical implications for nutrition, food safety, and animal and human health.
====================================================================
I don't have access to the original paper but I believe you can download a pdf at the URL above.

It won't hurt anyone to drink some tea, anymore than taking chicken noodle soup for a cold. I doubt if it helps, though.

It will if people rely on it as a reason not to get vaccinated or to use real treatments. This happens all the time. People routinely refuse real CANCER treatments in favor of nonsense like acupuncture and homeopathic remedies.

It will if people rely on it as a reason not to get vaccinated or to use real treatments. This happens all the time. People routinely refuse real CANCER treatments in favor of nonsense like acupuncture and homeopathic remedies.

Those people would find another excuse if not tea. They're hopeless.

Those people would find another excuse if not tea. They're hopeless.

Many stupid people have children. They also go out in public without masks during a pandemic. There's no reason to egg them on even more.

Mine is Earl Grey.

I usually go through a few cups a day, Irish Breakfast, English Breakfast, Early Grey and Lady Grey. Keeps me sane...

Overview of antibacterial, antitoxin, antiviral, and antifungal activities of tea flavonoids and teas - PubMed

Overview of antibacterial, antitoxin, antiviral, and antifungal activities of tea flavonoids and teas

Abstract
Tea leaves produce organic compounds that may be involved in the defense of the plants against invading pathogens including insects, bacteria, fungi, and viruses. These metabolites include polyphenolic compounds, the six so-called catechins, and the methyl-xanthine alkaloids caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline. Postharvest inactivation of phenol oxidases in green tea leaves prevents oxidation of the catechins, whereas postharvest enzyme-catalyzed oxidation (fermentation) of catechins in tea leaves results in the formation of four theaflavins as well as polymeric thearubigins. These substances impart the black color to black teas. Black and partly fermented oolong teas contain both classes of phenolic compounds. A need exists to develop a better understanding of the roles of polyphenolic tea compounds in food and medical microbiology. This overview surveys and interprets our present knowledge of activities of tea flavonoids and teas against foodborne and other pathogenic bacteria, virulent protein toxins produced by some of the bacteria, virulent bacteriophages, pathogenic viruses and fungi. Also covered are synergistic, mechanistic, and bioavailability aspects of the antimicrobial effects. Further research is suggested for each of these categories. The herein described findings are not only of fundamental interest, but also have practical implications for nutrition, food safety, and animal and human health.
====================================================================
I don't have access to the original paper but I believe you can download a pdf at the URL above.

Fascinating. And irrelevant at this time in terms of Covid 19.

Identification of bioactive molecules from tea plant as SARS-CoV-2 main
protease inhibitors

The SARS-CoV-2 main protease enzyme (Mpro) plays a central role in viral replication & thus becomes an attractive target for anti-viral drugs. Inhibition of Mpro causes the virus to die.

In this study, computerized analytical methods were used to identify the 68 molecules with the highest docking energy. of these, a total of 3 molecules were identified as being potent Mpro inhibitors:

Selected bioactive molecules based on -CDOCKER interaction energy.

S. No. Molecules -CDOCKER Interaction Energy
1. Oolonghomobisflavan-A 75.54
2. Theasinensin D 71.58
3. Theaflavin-3′-O-Gallate

Theasinensin D - Wikipedia

Theaflavin-3-gallate - Wikipedia

oolong homobisflavan A, oolong homobisflavan A Suppliers and Manufacturers at Okchem.com

These are all polyphenol compouds found in Chinese oolong tea. Oolong tea could serve a an inexpensive home remedy for covid-19.

I wonder what you would think if Trump touted this.

Back
Top Bottom