• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I hate Portland, Oregon

As a young man I did loved old Portland, other than the weather. And I still like, as a senior citizen many towns outside of Portland. What I loath now, however, is the cultural transformation and fusion of Portland into the mass of a 21st century culture of white Anglo-Saxon protestant "liberalism". To understand Portland you first have to appreciate what is not, and what it is:

- it's not an immigrant city with a history of multiple cultures.
- it's not N.Y. or L.A. It has none of the love of argument, eclecticism, individuality, and culture clash of such cities - it dreads conflict and real diversity.
- it's a homogeneous northern white WASP liberal cultures - conformist, passive-aggressive, and polite to a fault (i.e. to the point of patronizing).
- it's as if the 60s/70s communal "greens" and counter-culture was hybridized into an odd mix of "volvo" liberals, boutiques, and a huge street people population.
- it's not a live and let live it privacy, its obsessed over public displays of virtue. Yard signs of "Our America is" are on every block in upper-middle class neighborhoods, the newspaper gushes over a high school play that has a major character in a wheel chair, and editorials whine and worry over inclusion.

People here reminds one of the society in the original Star Trek episode wherein each glassy eyed citizen walks about in a lethargic daze, assuring each other that that are "of the body?" (telepathically linked to Landru). Everyone here is in this metabolically slowed state, driving slowed down to perfectly obeyed speeds and all driving is timid and hyper cautious.

The Portlander's "of the body" wear bland causal clothes, preferably a monochromatic shade of black, grey or dark green. Particularly unnoticeable are the women, who are uniformed the same as men: jeans or on occasion "dressed up" in leggings. Quilt polyester coats, rain jackets, and bland shirts or tops. A stylishness to their informality is rare. The women often have short chopped hair, no makeup, and look like they just rolled out of bed. This is not a town that has women in dresses, heels, makeup, long hair, or of girlish allure. Heck, plainess on the level of the old Mao suit would be an improvement.

More importantly, Portlanders cannot or won't argue, they walk away in anger at the first sign of disagreement; an emotionally stunted culture of weanies, constantly concerned with creating offense. As such, they have ZERO sense of humor. They can't tell a joke, don't understand good-natured teasing, cannot appreciate light-hearted poking, and are mystified by humorous sarcasm. Polite "seriousness" over perfectly shared values without any disagreement is their highest value; a robust debate is unheard of (and impossible to have).

And this "diverse" community of "inclusion" is relentless in suppressing the diversity of non-conformity, and eliminating it. When two Portland women opened a Burrito cart, hoping to sell the most authentic food possible, they were accused of "cultural appropriation" and forced to shut down.

My personal experience in Portland incinerated the last shreds of affection for Portland. Over one week, I went twice in public with my old mother to do everyday business. During our outings we banter and poke each other as we normally do, a Seinfeld styled humor. Twice on separate occasions Portlanders intruded on our conversation, assuming that my mild joking were serious and that I was mistreating an old person - even after mom explained to them that we tease each other, the Portlanders looked at us like we were from Mars...one of them feeling compelled to telling me what he thought even after my mother explained.

I've never found a larger group of humorless, waspie straight personeas, of whack-a-doodles as in Portland.

So don't live there or go there. Problem ****ing solved.

Nobody gives a **** what you think about Portland. You're not that important.

As a young man I did loved old Portland, other than the weather. And I still like, as a senior citizen many towns outside of Portland. What I loath now, however, is the cultural transformation and fusion of Portland into the mass of a 21st century culture of white Anglo-Saxon protestant "liberalism". To understand Portland you first have to appreciate what is not, and what it is:

- it's not N.Y. or L.A. It has none of the love of argument, eclecticism, individuality, and culture clash of such cities - it dreads conflict and real diversity.
- it's a homogeneous northern white WASP liberal cultures - conformist, passive-aggressive, and polite to a fault (i.e. to the point of patronizing).
- it's as if the 60s/70s communal "greens" and counter-culture was hybridized into an odd mix of "volvo" liberals, boutiques, and a huge street people population.
- it's not a live and let live it privacy, its obsessed over public displays of virtue. Yard signs of "Our America is" are on every block in upper-middle class neighborhoods, the newspaper gushes over a high school play that has a major character in a wheel chair, and editorials whine and worry over inclusion.

People here reminds one of the society in the original Star Trek episode wherein each glassy eyed citizen walks about in a lethargic daze, assuring each other that that are "of the body?" (telepathically linked to Landru). Everyone here is in this metabolically slowed state, driving slowed down to perfectly obeyed speeds and all driving is timid and hyper cautious.

The Portlander's "of the body" wear bland causal clothes, preferably a monochromatic shade of black, grey or dark green. Particularly unnoticeable are the women, who are uniformed the same as men: jeans or on occasion "dressed up" in leggings. Quilt polyester coats, rain jackets, and bland shirts or tops. A stylishness to their informality is rare. The women often have short chopped hair, no makeup, and look like they just rolled out of bed. This is not a town that has women in dresses, heels, makeup, long hair, or of girlish allure. Heck, plainess on the level of the old Mao suit would be an improvement.

More importantly, Portlanders cannot or won't argue, they walk away in anger at the first sign of disagreement; an emotionally stunted culture of weanies, constantly concerned with creating offense. As such, they have ZERO sense of humor. They can't tell a joke, don't understand good-natured teasing, cannot appreciate light-hearted poking, and are mystified by humorous sarcasm. Polite "seriousness" over perfectly shared values without any disagreement is their highest value; a robust debate is unheard of (and impossible to have).

And this "diverse" community of "inclusion" is relentless in suppressing the diversity of non-conformity, and eliminating it. When two Portland women opened a Burrito cart, hoping to sell the most authentic food possible, they were accused of "cultural appropriation" and forced to shut down.

My personal experience in Portland incinerated the last shreds of affection for Portland. Over one week, I went twice in public with my old mother to do everyday business. During our outings we banter and poke each other as we normally do, a Seinfeld styled humor. Twice on separate occasions Portlanders intruded on our conversation, assuming that my mild joking were serious and that I was mistreating an old person - even after mom explained to them that we tease each other, the Portlanders looked at us like we were from Mars...one of them feeling compelled to telling me what he thought even after my mother explained.

I've never found a larger group of humorless, waspie straight personeas, of whack-a-doodles as in Portland.

This whole thing is horse****. I travel to Portland frequently and was just there last week. It's a great town, people always treat me well.

I'm so sorry you have such a problem with people who care about other human beings' happiness.

Move to a rural town in Alabama. It's obvious you'd be much happier there - all your fellow trump voters will be there and no one will blink when you drop the "N" word.

So why is there a China town then if its not "an immigrant city with a history of multiple cultures."

I am not defending Portland by any means (Im an Estacadain) but come on Portland has been very diverse for a very longtime.

So basically you miss Metzler and his skinheads right?

More likely you accidentally watched a episode of Portlandia and thought that everyone was like those idiots on that show.

This whole thing is horse****. I travel to Portland frequently and was just there last week. It's a great town, people always treat me well.

I'm so sorry you have such a problem with people who care about other human beings' happiness.

Move to a rural town in Alabama. It's obvious you'd be much happier there - all your fellow trump voters will be there and no one will blink when you drop the "N" word.

Having grown up in and near Portland, not everyone is friendly. But that is typical of large cities.

But this guy is all about spreading the hate that Trump preaches. You cannot reason with that type of person anymore than you could reason with a skinhead or some of the few far, far left folks ridding their bikes around Portland.

I'm looking forward to checking out the Shanghai tunnels.

There are a lot of cool places to check out in Portland, many of them being famous tourist spots, but still very much worth seeing. But I don't think the tunnels are one.

"Shanghaiing in Portland and the Shanghai Tunnels Myth

...Historians of the Old Town district have confirmed that shanghaiing and crimping occurred there, along with other criminal and unsavory activities, but they have not found evidence of any network of tunnels linked to them. Those who tour the so-called shanghai tunnels today walk into a basement, not through any iniquitous tunnels."

I lived in Phoenix for seven months and Portland for six years. It's too bad you're leaving Phoenix at the best time of the year, for Portland at the worst. Weather wise they're as opposite as they get.

Portland has a great downtown, the first time I lived in a high-rise. If you like beer, there's a lot of great small breweries. One of the tourist spots I would recommend is Jake's Famous Crawfish. It's been there forever and always gets great reviews.

I'd also recommend a 30-45 minute drive up the Columbia Gorge. It's an impressive sight. Also the many waterfalls. At 620 feet with easy access, Multnoma Falls, it's worth checking out.

Just one warning, I had a friend come up from LA to visit at the same time of year. When we got to a spot with a great view, you couldn't see jack due to the weather. For the most part you don't see the sun for nine months and you learn new terms like, 'sun break'. But the summers are awesome...

...Older Portlanders are very proud of their blueberries, farms, and nostalgic recollections of a time when front doors were unlocked and fishing opportunities were plentiful. They are nice people, and sometimes old fashioned opinionated...

...and white. Oregon is one of, if not the whitest state in the union.

Your posts seem like the typical conservative rant about the olden days. Having to deal with bicycles, liberals and progressive women must be hell for you.

Did you ever go to watch the Beavers minor league team play at the old Civic Stadium? It was my all time favorite ballpark. I caught my only foul ball there. And btw, the Columbia and Willamette rives still have hundreds of great fishing spots.

Perhaps that is your interpretation which is far from mine. But maybe we are two of the 6 blind men and the elephant fable.

We all come across an elephant for the first time and conceptualize what the elephant is like by touching it. Each blind man feels a different part of the elephant's body, but only one part, such as the side or the tusk. They then describe the elephant based on their limited experience and their descriptions of the elephant are different from each other.

Summed up well. This has been my experience, I've met every kind of person, including when single, many wonderful women in both liberal and conservative areas...

Last edited:

The dream of the 90's is alive in Portland....

My information is that he lives in the SFO area, not the PDX.

I see now, though I didn't before, that his location is the SFO area....

Okay. I will amend my remark: don't move/visit there or get over it.

I lived in Tokyo for several months. I had a good enough time, but the only thing I liked about Tokyo was the food. I've visited friends in San Antonio, yet I haven't found any other compelling reason to go to San Antonio. The only reason I spent any time in Palo Alto and San Jose was because work called me to. I know what I didn't like about those places, but I wouldn't go so far as to declare what be the culture and general character and comportment of the people there.

I understand not liking a place. I don't understand posting a "this place it sucks" themed essay, and one that barely if at all so much as alludes to the politics of the place, in a political discussion forum rather than putting it in a non-political one.

The OP-er writes, for instance, that Portlanders "don't understand good-natured teasing." Well, I'm humble enough to laugh at good-natured teasing, but not from presumptuous total strangers usurping privileges reserved for for folks who know me well. Indeed, as strangers or but casual acquaintances, I have no idea whether they're "good-naturedly teasing" me or whether they're mocking me. But what has that to do with politics or public policy?

Maybe he was teasing close friends who live in Portland? Maybe he was referring to conversations among people whom knew well and thus knew the the teaser and the teased were quite well acquainted? Insofar as the essay abstractly pontificates about Portlanders' general character, there's no way to know what be the OP-er's place amidst the interactions from which he's draw the conclusions of which he's told us. We know only that the OP-er perceives Portland as different now from what it was at some point in the past and he "loathes" present Portland and its people.

Personally, the OP essay strikes me as a lot of generalizing about some several million people who live in a place he does not. On the basis of an apparently brief encounter, the ones in the OP are mighty big claims to make about place, its culture and its people.

Sounds like Oregon in general. Probably 25 years ago I was standing out in front of my hotel in Eugene waiting for my ride and smoking a cigarette when some asshole had to come up and complain about it.

I see now, though I didn't before, that his location is the SFO area....

Okay. I will amend my remark: don't move/visit there or get over it.

I lived in Tokyo for several months. I had a good enough time, but the only thing I liked about Tokyo was the food. I've visited friends in San Antonio, yet I haven't found any other compelling reason to go to San Antonio. The only reason I spent any time in Palo Alto and San Jose was because work called me to. I know what I didn't like about those places, but I wouldn't go so far as to declare what be the culture and general character and comportment of the people there.

I understand not liking a place. I don't understand posting a "this place it sucks" themed essay, and one that barely if at all so much as alludes to the politics of the place, in a political discussion forum rather than putting it in a non-political one.

The OP-er writes, for instance, that Portlanders "don't understand good-natured teasing." Well, I'm humble enough to laugh at good-natured teasing, but not from presumptuous total strangers usurping privileges reserved for for folks who know me well. Indeed, as strangers or but casual acquaintances, I have no idea whether they're "good-naturedly teasing" me or whether they're mocking me. But what has that to do with politics or public policy?

Maybe he was teasing close friends who live in Portland? Maybe he was referring to conversations among people whom knew well and thus knew the the teaser and the teased were quite well acquainted? Insofar as the essay abstractly pontificates about Portlanders' general character, there's no way to know what be the OP-er's place amidst the interactions from which he's draw the conclusions of which he's told us. We know only that the OP-er perceives Portland as different now from what it was at some point in the past and he "loathes" present Portland and its people.

Personally, the OP essay strikes me as a lot of generalizing about some several million people who live in a place he does not. On the basis of an apparently brief encounter, the ones in the OP are mighty big claims to make about place, its culture and its people.
Assuming is bad for you.

Let me give you the argument gun owners give to non gun owners...move.

I remember reading about the taco truck. Wow, really? Two young women take the initiative to start a business and they're white, so they can't sell tacos? What can they sell? baloney sandwiches?
I can't even imagine tolerating that b.s. for a day, let alone live there.

I suppose Elizabeth Warren isn't welcome in Portland with her propensity to appropriate the American-Indian culture.

If Portland is really as you describe it, then count yourself to be one lucky person.

There are literally millions of Americans living in certain cities (which, of course, I dare not name) who can only dream of living in the kind of peaceful and orderly city that you describe.

When it comes to beer and brewpubs it is Portland all the way...over Seattle.

I do like Fremont Brewing and Brouwers Cafe, try and hit them up when visiting.

If Portland is really as you describe it, then count yourself to be one lucky person.

There are literally millions of Americans living in certain cities (which, of course, I dare not name) who can only dream of living in the kind of peaceful and orderly city that you describe.

I was thinking this same thing. I've never had the pleasure of going there, but the way maxparrish describes it, at least if I read between the lines, sounds like paradise. Women seem to be held to the same standard as men regarding clothing. People don't tease each other, prefer not to argue in public, and will come to the defense of people who appear to be disrespected. Of course, I enjoy polite society. I suppose if you are used to comporting yourself with ignorance, boorishness, and crassness, it could be a culture clash for you.

This op sounds more to me like a maxparrish problem than a Portland problem to me.

In Seattle if you dont agree with the groupthink you get a mob instantly in your face explaining to you why you are wrong, trying to talk cerebral. Portland has always been more angry and prone to physical displays, I can well imagine how unpleasant they are to be around now, even 6 years ago I felt unsafe in some areas of downtown after dark.

Its been 20 years since I've been to Seattle, and I was disappointed then. The downtown didn't have the feel of Portland's, the bar prices very inflated, and the people "meh".

Ive read a lot about Portland recently and seen some pretty unflattering things there. But I have also read some things from some fairly conservative type that are from Portland that say its pretty much like everywhere else...sure...it has some really crappy places, but for the most part...its still pretty nice. I know some of the documentaries I have seen on the growing homeless and drug problem they have isnt very flattering.

I was thinking this same thing. I've never had the pleasure of going there, but the way maxparrish describes it, at least if I read between the lines, sounds like paradise. Women seem to be held to the same standard as men regarding clothing. People don't tease each other, prefer not to argue in public, and will come to the defense of people who appear to be disrespected. Of course, I enjoy polite society. I suppose if you are used to comporting yourself with ignorance, boorishness, and crassness, it could be a culture clash for you.

This op sounds more to me like a maxparrish problem than a Portland problem to me.

Sure I "have a problem", I have a sense of humor and outside of Portland, most everyone recognizes humor from seriousness. If you enjoy the humor of Seinfeld or South Park you likely would not enjoy the humorless desert of Portland. If you enjoy live and let live, you'd likely have a run-in with those that don't. And if you think ribbing with a friend is "boorish" or "crass", and deserving of someone crashing a conversation because they are clueless white bread's with a stick up their ass then ya, this might be your cup of tea.

And as far as women, if you don't enjoy women in skirts and makeup, but love the rumpled just out of bed look, and those with bland monochromatic clothing occasionally accented with purple dyed hair, you might contact a real estate agent.

Portland is ideal for those without a personality, for someone whose opinions always conform to a single "norm", and who think a liberal and real world version of the regulated utopia of Stepford Wives is an ideal to be aspired to.

I am sure there are regular people in Portland somewhere, people know how to cut-up and have a good time. But here in gentrified NE Portland there is not.

I'll take Berkeley anytime over gentrified Portland when it comes to everyday social culture interaction. (A houseplant Portlander would shrivel in Berkeley).

So why is there a China town then if its not "an immigrant city with a history of multiple cultures."

I am not defending Portland by any means (Im an Estacadain) but come on Portland has been very diverse for a very longtime.

So basically you miss Metzler and his skinheads right?

More likely you accidentally watched a episode of Portlandia and thought that everyone was like those idiots on that show.

Portland's Chinatown is an aging small relic, probably the only immigrant experience it ever had. Nothing like New York, San Francisco, and many other cities. And in any event, its about as white bread and northern European as you will find in the US, outside of places like Iowa.

And yes, I have watched Portlandia - something I stopped doing because it was too realistic for me to enjoy as comedy.

In Seattle if you dont agree with the groupthink you get a mob instantly in your face explaining to you why you are wrong, trying to talk cerebral. Portland has always been more angry and prone to physical displays, I can well imagine how unpleasant they are to be around now, even 6 years ago I felt unsafe in some areas of downtown after dark.

I have not gone downtown in the last 20-25 years. I hear and read stories of the changes (tent camps, large homeless population, etc.) but I have not seen it.

Portland's Chinatown is an aging small relic, probably the only immigrant experience it ever had. Nothing like New York, San Francisco, and many other cities. And in any event, its about as white bread and northern European as you will find in the US, outside of places like Iowa.

And yes, I have watched Portlandia - something I stopped doing because it was too realistic for me to enjoy as comedy.

Obviously you hang around hipsters then, might even be one.

I have not gone downtown in the last 20-25 years. I hear and read stories of the changes (tent camps, large homeless population, etc.) but I have not seen it.

In other words you have not been to Portland ever. The tent camps have always been under the bridges coming out of the Banfield. There are a certain amount of bums that are in all cities. And now there are tents under the 205 and along the bike path (among many other places).
And it isnt really a homeless problem its a lifestyle choice. Portland has plenty of jobs that pay well, the tent people are left over from the occupy idiots. In other words its a lifestyle and a movement. If you had any real connection to Portland you would have known that. I mean I know this and I live in New Mexico these days.

And downtown has always not been safe in most parts. North Portland also a very historically unsafe area. East Portland was the safer area but not so much anymore.

So perhaps I am wrong where did you live in Portland (or did you)?

If you offered clarity I missed it....what is your exposure to Portland? Your profile says that you are near SFO, did you grow up near PDX?

Didn't see any tent camps when I was there, and we walked just about every inch of downtown and stuff to the northwest....and stuff further out.

:shrug:

In other words you have not been to Portland ever. The tent camps have always been under the bridges coming out of the Banfield. There are a certain amount of bums that are in all cities. And now there are tents under the 205 and along the bike path (among many other places).
And it isnt really a homeless problem its a lifestyle choice. Portland has plenty of jobs that pay well, the tent people are left over from the occupy idiots. In other words its a lifestyle and a movement. If you had any real connection to Portland you would have known that. I mean I know this and I live in New Mexico these days.

And downtown has always not been safe in most parts. North Portland also a very historically unsafe area. East Portland was the safer area but not so much anymore.

So perhaps I am wrong where did you live in Portland (or did you)?

I live in the SF bay area, should you have bothered to look at my profile location on the left of every post. However, I was born in Portland and many of my relatives live there, including my mother. None the less, your confirmation of the worst aspects of Portland most appreciated. This is the first time I have heard anyone trying to "defend" by attack on Portland on the basis that it was always unsafe and decayed, with long-standing tent camps, that are "now" under 205 and along bike paths and with a downtown that has ALWAYS not been safe, along with the North and NOW East Portland becoming unsafe.

And am I a hipster? Given my views, that is a bizarre question - as bizarre as your defense of Portland because it has always been dangerous and decayed.

LOL...

Back
Top Bottom