• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I hate Portland, Oregon

maxparrish

Conservatarian
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
As a young man I did loved old Portland, other than the weather. And I still like, as a senior citizen many towns outside of Portland. What I loath now, however, is the cultural transformation and fusion of Portland into the mass of a 21st century culture of white Anglo-Saxon protestant "liberalism". To understand Portland you first have to appreciate what is not, and what it is:

- it's not an immigrant city with a history of multiple cultures.
- it's not N.Y. or L.A. It has none of the love of argument, eclecticism, individuality, and culture clash of such cities - it dreads conflict and real diversity.
- it's a homogeneous northern white WASP liberal cultures - conformist, passive-aggressive, and polite to a fault (i.e. to the point of patronizing).
- it's as if the 60s/70s communal "greens" and counter-culture was hybridized into an odd mix of "volvo" liberals, boutiques, and a huge street people population.
- it's not a live and let live it privacy, its obsessed over public displays of virtue. Yard signs of "Our America is" are on every block in upper-middle class neighborhoods, the newspaper gushes over a high school play that has a major character in a wheel chair, and editorials whine and worry over inclusion.

People here reminds one of the society in the original Star Trek episode wherein each glassy eyed citizen walks about in a lethargic daze, assuring each other that that are "of the body?" (telepathically linked to Landru). Everyone here is in this metabolically slowed state, driving slowed down to perfectly obeyed speeds and all driving is timid and hyper cautious.

The Portlander's "of the body" wear bland causal clothes, preferably a monochromatic shade of black, grey or dark green. Particularly unnoticeable are the women, who are uniformed the same as men: jeans or on occasion "dressed up" in leggings. Quilt polyester coats, rain jackets, and bland shirts or tops. A stylishness to their informality is rare. The women often have short chopped hair, no makeup, and look like they just rolled out of bed. This is not a town that has women in dresses, heels, makeup, long hair, or of girlish allure. Heck, plainess on the level of the old Mao suit would be an improvement.

More importantly, Portlanders cannot or won't argue, they walk away in anger at the first sign of disagreement; an emotionally stunted culture of weanies, constantly concerned with creating offense. As such, they have ZERO sense of humor. They can't tell a joke, don't understand good-natured teasing, cannot appreciate light-hearted poking, and are mystified by humorous sarcasm. Polite "seriousness" over perfectly shared values without any disagreement is their highest value; a robust debate is unheard of (and impossible to have).

And this "diverse" community of "inclusion" is relentless in suppressing the diversity of non-conformity, and eliminating it. When two Portland women opened a Burrito cart, hoping to sell the most authentic food possible, they were accused of "cultural appropriation" and forced to shut down.

My personal experience in Portland incinerated the last shreds of affection for Portland. Over one week, I went twice in public with my old mother to do everyday business. During our outings we banter and poke each other as we normally do, a Seinfeld styled humor. Twice on separate occasions Portlanders intruded on our conversation, assuming that my mild joking were serious and that I was mistreating an old person - even after mom explained to them that we tease each other, the Portlanders looked at us like we were from Mars...one of them feeling compelled to telling me what he thought even after my mother explained.

I've never found a larger group of humorless, waspie straight personeas, of whack-a-doodles as in Portland.

I remember reading about the taco truck. Wow, really? Two young women take the initiative to start a business and they're white, so they can't sell tacos? What can they sell? baloney sandwiches?
I can't even imagine tolerating that b.s. for a day, let alone live there.

This is a bad time for this rant as me and SWMBO are going there for a long weekend at the end of next month.

As a young man I did loved old Portland, other than the weather. And I still like, as a senior citizen many towns outside of Portland. What I loath now, however, is the cultural transformation and fusion of Portland into the mass of a 21st century culture of white Anglo-Saxon protestant "liberalism". To understand Portland you first have to appreciate what is not, and what it is:

- it's not N.Y. or L.A. It has none of the love of argument, eclecticism, individuality, and culture clash of such cities - it dreads conflict and real diversity.
- it's a homogeneous northern white WASP liberal cultures - conformist, passive-aggressive, and polite to a fault (i.e. to the point of patronizing).
- it's as if the 60s/70s communal "greens" and counter-culture was hybridized into an odd mix of "volvo" liberals, boutiques, and a huge street people population.
- it's not a live and let live it privacy, its obsessed over public displays of virtue. Yard signs of "Our America is" are on every block in upper-middle class neighborhoods, the newspaper gushes over a high school play that has a major character in a wheel chair, and editorials whine and worry over inclusion.

People here reminds one of the society in the original Star Trek episode wherein each glassy eyed citizen walks about in a lethargic daze, assuring each other that that are "of the body?" (telepathically linked to Landru). Everyone here is in this metabolically slowed state, driving slowed down to perfectly obeyed speeds and all driving is timid and hyper cautious.

The Portlander's "of the body" wear bland causal clothes, preferably a monochromatic shade of black, grey or dark green. Particularly unnoticeable are the women, who are uniformed the same as men: jeans or on occasion "dressed up" in leggings. Quilt polyester coats, rain jackets, and bland shirts or tops. A stylishness to their informality is rare. The women often have short chopped hair, no makeup, and look like they just rolled out of bed. This is not a town that has women in dresses, heels, makeup, long hair, or of girlish allure. Heck, plainess on the level of the old Mao suit would be an improvement.

More importantly, Portlanders cannot or won't argue, they walk away in anger at the first sign of disagreement; an emotionally stunted culture of weanies, constantly concerned with creating offense. As such, they have ZERO sense of humor. They can't tell a joke, don't understand good-natured teasing, cannot appreciate light-hearted poking, and are mystified by humorous sarcasm. Polite "seriousness" over perfectly shared values without any disagreement is their highest value; a robust debate is unheard of (and impossible to have).

And this "diverse" community of "inclusion" is relentless in suppressing the diversity of non-conformity, and eliminating it. When two Portland women opened a Burrito cart, hoping to sell the most authentic food possible, they were accused of "cultural appropriation" and forced to shut down.

My personal experience in Portland incinerated the last shreds of affection for Portland. Over one week, I went twice in public with my old mother to do everyday business. During our outings we banter and poke each other as we normally do, a Seinfeld styled humor. Twice on separate occasions Portlanders intruded on our conversation, assuming that my mild joking were serious and that I was mistreating an old person - even after mom explained to them that we tease each other, the Portlanders looked at us like we were from Mars...one of them feeling compelled to telling me what he thought even after my mother explained.

I've never found a larger group of humorless, waspie straight personeas, of whack-a-doodles as in Portland.

If its any consolation you can move to NY. I was walking my dog the other day along our main road. Its 50mph but has houses a park with a baseball and soccer field as well as a pond where kids were doing the ice hockey thing. A car came around the curve by the pond at like 70. I yelled and gave him the finger while moving well onto the grass past the shoulder. The moron moved to the center but failed to slow down. Young asshole with a big wing on the car like a Subaru WRX I think. Next time I get the plate#. Its funny some people that pass me move to the other lane if no traffic is coming in the other direction. We got all kinds.

I liked Portland, Oregon when I visited.

The forests within 2-3 hours were even better.

More importantly, Portlanders cannot or won't argue, they walk away in anger at the first sign of disagreement; an emotionally stunted culture of weanies,

Or wise persons

Haven't been there yet, but expect I may go through it to a friend's second house about 1 hour out of town. Sounds like I should just check a bud store and leave.

Okay...

I liked Portland, Oregon when I visited.

The forests within 2-3 hours were even better.

I'm looking forward to checking out the Shanghai tunnels.

This is a bad time for this rant as me and SWMBO are going there for a long weekend at the end of next month.

My advice: Don't be boisterous, it frightens the locals. Don't joke in public, especially if it seems to make light of a person or protected class. Be conscious that it is a "regulated" culture; people are expected to drive the speed limit and NOT a single mile over (otherwise you get a ticket or stopped for as little as 5 mph over the limit). Bicyclists should be treated as if they have all rights of way. Don't wander walk through a neighborhood without looking purposeful (e.g. exercising or directly going somewhere) or someone might stop and ask you if there is a problem.

If you get into a political discussion, be in full agreement or say nothing. Don't chat up the opposite sex in a tavern hoping for a followup; almost certainly the woman will be with a masculine looking woman as companion and will show her hate and contempt for intrusive males. (I have no idea on protocols for same sex chatups).

Portlanders like to think that the satire Portlandia is laughing with them; don't tell them that the truth that they are laughing at them (the main actors are/have been LA folk). Older Portlanders are very proud of their blueberries, farms, and nostalgic recollections of a time when front doors were unlocked and fishing opportunities were plentiful. They are nice people, and sometimes old fashioned opinionated, but they are fewer.

Portland is dreary much of the year, and the people's pale and melancholy looks reflect that. Low-key, carefully observant of courtesy, but not talkative to strangers in markets. The only thing that makes things tolerable to me are my relatives, book stores, and the stunning scenery during good weather.

Last edited:
Or wise persons

Wise only in that they can't stand hearing firm opinion not in agreement with their own. I've lived in many different environments: Berkeley, OKC, Dallas, San Diego, and Portland. Liberals in those other cultures NEVER had a problem engaging (as I am sure they don't in NY or the North East); Portland is unique in that respect (I've not lived in SF so I am unsure there).

Haven't been there yet, but expect I may go through it to a friend's second house about 1 hour out of town. Sounds like I should just check a bud store and leave.

Okay...

The charms of Portland are not in its people, but in its large stock of old houses...including many craftsmen. It also has (or had) a very attractive downtown, largely spared urban renewal and therefore walkable and interesting. I like Portland's physical structure, and its fine to visit. But anyone who enjoys loudly laughing with friends and extroverted people WONT find that - for the short term visitor think of a joy muted Mary Poppins, for a resident think of Mary Poppins with a switch for the disobedient.

How did you like the Portland Winterhawks hockey team? I guess they must bus those fans in from neighboring towns as I didn't find them like you describe Portlanders.

Hey, have one at the deschutes brewery for me.

How did you like the Portland Winterhawks hockey team? I guess they must bus those fans in from neighboring towns as I didn't find them like you describe Portlanders.

I guess they do and of those from Portland, represent a small portion of the population. Nothing in Portlands elected officials, city newspaper, or local tv broadcasts suggest Portland is anything other than moralizing nannyist opinion run amoke.

I guess they do and of those from Portland, represent a small portion of the population. Nothing in Portlands elected officials, city newspaper, or local tv broadcasts suggest Portland is anything other than moralizing nannyist opinion run amoke.

Perhaps that is your interpretation which is far from mine. But maybe we are two of the 6 blind men and the elephant fable.

We all come across an elephant for the first time and conceptualize what the elephant is like by touching it. Each blind man feels a different part of the elephant's body, but only one part, such as the side or the tusk. They then describe the elephant based on their limited experience and their descriptions of the elephant are different from each other.

Cities change over the course of time, and their culture tends to as well. I suggest you not spend time in Portland Oregon. You can find cities and towns with a cultural identity you feel more comfortable with, all over the Pacific Northwest. If I were you, I would linger in the southern or eastern parts of the state or Washington, to see what feels more like 'home' as you remember Portland to have been.

Portland has this. Can't be all bad.

Portland's Naked Bike Ride

https://pdxwnbr.org/

https://www.oregonlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/06/world_naked_bike_ride_portland.html

67186508d1435683675-10-000-naked-cyclists-18181464-standard-jpg

When we got to Olympia 2004 we used to do weekends or long weekends in Portland many times a year because it was more fun. This is impossible to picture now but Seattle was at the time too Sanitized, too cold in temperament (the well known Seattle Chill)...... Portland was a little edgy and chill rather than cold and the restaurants were out of sight. But for most of the last decade we dont go anymore........ there are more good restaurants in Seattle now than we can ever get to, going to Seattle is easy now with all of the transit (Link Rail/Sounder Rail Buses) and is a day drip, and Portland is still more grimy and dangerous that Seattle but Seattle has long been more than dirty and dangerous enough for my blood.

The charms of Portland are not in its people, but in its large stock of old houses...including many craftsmen. It also has (or had) a very attractive downtown, largely spared urban renewal and therefore walkable and interesting. I like Portland's physical structure, and its fine to visit. But anyone who enjoys loudly laughing with friends and extroverted people WONT find that - for the short term visitor think of a joy muted Mary Poppins, for a resident think of Mary Poppins with a switch for the disobedient.

This is true, though it does not really turn my crank. The wife loves that sort of thing however.

My advice: Don't be boisterous, it frightens the locals. Don't joke in public, especially if it seems to make light of a person or protected class. Be conscious that it is a "regulated" culture; people are expected to drive the speed limit and NOT a single mile over (otherwise you get a ticket or stopped for as little as 5 mph over the limit). Bicyclists should be treated as if they have all rights of way. Don't wander walk through a neighborhood without looking purposeful (e.g. exercising or directly going somewhere) or someone might stop and ask you if there is a problem.

If you get into a political discussion, be in full agreement or say nothing. Don't chat up the opposite sex in a tavern hoping for a followup; almost certainly the woman will be with a masculine looking woman as companion and will show her hate and contempt for intrusive males. (I have no idea on protocols for same sex chatups).

Portlanders like to think that the satire Portlandia is laughing with them; don't tell them that the truth that they are laughing at them (the main actors are/have been LA folk). Older Portlanders are very proud of their blueberries, farms, and nostalgic recollections of a time when front doors were unlocked and fishing opportunities were plentiful. They are nice people, and sometimes old fashioned opinionated, but they are fewer.

Portland is dreary much of the year, and the people's pale and melancholy looks reflect that. Low-key, carefully observant of courtesy, but not talkative to strangers in markets. The only thing that makes things tolerable to me are my relatives, book stores, and the stunning scenery during good weather.

In Seattle if you dont agree with the groupthink you get a mob instantly in your face explaining to you why you are wrong, trying to talk cerebral. Portland has always been more angry and prone to physical displays, I can well imagine how unpleasant they are to be around now, even 6 years ago I felt unsafe in some areas of downtown after dark.

Back
Top Bottom